You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

My point is that I stated above that I was happy with the transfer business that the club had completed, "so far", as they had replaced 3 older players who need to be replaced with better younger players. I said that I didn’t count Keita and Ox because they didn’t contribute, even when available/picked. I said that we needed another midfielder and defender, for depth. 

You resonded to that post by saying I was "completely wrong". What was so completely wrong with that? 

We have 7 senior midfielders, all of whom are good enough to be in a Liverpool trophy-challenging squad, in my opinion, but need one more because of the injury profile of three of them. 

IMO if you are looking at a title winning midfield, you want a combination of attributes that make up for each other. Experience, demonstrable quality/ability, players on an upward trajectory, a good combination of offensive and defensive quality, leadership, familiarity with the the league and the players. Our combination right now in terms of the mix of those factors is poor, and clearly inferior to some of the other top teams. Doesn't mean things couldn't come together amazingly well, but it's far from ideal and the odds are def stacked against us.

I think it would be less of an issue if our system and style of play didn't cause us so many issues defensively, but it does. We can't counter press like we used to which means there are more gaps to cover, which means there is a lot of responsibility for covering large amounts of space and the box midfield, which we have no idea how to account for defensively. One center back is expected to cover the positioning of two players, actually watching the amount of space Konate is expected to cover is ridiculous, no wonder he pulled something. We either play a proper back 3 with 3 centre backs actually controlling 3 equal quadrants, or go back to an actual back 4. Or suffer defensively. IMO there isn't any other middle ground that won't end up as bad or worse than last season.

1 minute ago, Dundalis said:

IMO if you are looking at a title winning midfield, you want a combination of attributes that make up for each other. Experience, demonstrable quality/ability, players on an upward trajectory, a good combination of offensive and defensive quality, leadership, familiarity with the the league and the players. Our combination right now in the combination of those factors is poor, and clearly inferior to some of the other top teams. Doesn't mean things couldn't come together amazingly well, but it's far from ideal and the odds are def stacked against us.

I think it would be less of an issue if our system and style of play didn't cause us so many issues defensively, but it does. We can't counter press like we used to which means there are more gaps to cover, which means there is a lot of responsibility for covering large amounts of space and the box midfield, which we have no idea how to account for defensively. One center back is expected to cover the positioning of two players, actually watching the amount of space Konate is expected to cover is ridiculous, no wonder he pulled something. We either play a proper back 3 with 3 centre backs actually controlling 3 equal quadrants, or go back to an actual back 4. Or suffer defensively.

Arsenal, City, Brighton and Spurs all play with a hybrid defender now. I think we need to improve on what we have and how we organise it because I think it is here to stay. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone gonna to start the Welcome to Liverpool Kheprehm Thuram thread?

F3mFBJqWMAAm66i?format=webp&name=small

Honestly if there's two players we need least right now, it's Gravenberch and Thuram. Two chaotic super inconsistent players who lack a fair bit of tactical discipline in their play at this stage of their careers.

3 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

Honestly if there's two players we need least right now, it's Gravenberch and Thuram. Two chaotic super inconsistent players who lack a fair bit of tactical discipline in their play at this stage of their careers.

Who do you suggest Paul Hogan? 

12 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Arsenal, City, Brighton and Spurs all play with a hybrid defender now. I think we need to improve on what we have and how we organise it because I think it is here to stay. 

If we are talking about title challenging, the only two of those teams that matter are Arsenal and City, and when those teams actually play with a true out of position hybrid defender, they usually play with 3 centre backs. Newcastle do also, who are more relevant than Brighton and Spurs. If we actually played with a CB in Robertsons place, it would make Konate or whoever plays in that positions' job a whole lot easier. VVD can position much more central safe in the knowledge that the defender on his left can deal with typical CB duties like aerial duels etc. Of course this still requires very competent defensive setup in midfield to assist with coverage, of which there is no evidence we have in place yet.

• Upvote 1

Bored of Jurgen's woe is me shtick, here's a thought gaffa why don't you PRE-PLAN and attack market instead of waiting until we sell all of our players to scrounge around for 30 year olds in the bundesliga.

Fuck FSG but Jurgen has lost all sympathy from me now. If the reason we haven't addressed the Issues in the squad is because of a lack of money then he should have called this out by now. Stop talking shit and playing the fans for idiots and telling us we have enough when anybody with a brain knows we don't.

Jürgen Klopp on the Saudi transfer window shutting 20 days after the European one:  “What is not possible is for our transfer window to close and theirs to remain open. If they don't stop, how can we react? It's a challenge. We have to learn to deal with it. Authorities should make clear that if you want to be part of the system you need to do business at the same time as everyone else."

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Talking about title challenging maybe a bit presumptive - we can concentrate on putting a good side together first.

I agree, but Im responding to an OP that initially stated our current midfield is good enough for a title challenging side.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

I agree, but Im responding to an OP that initially stated our current midfield is good enough for a title challenging side.

Agree with you on the make up of an ideal title winning midfield and that we are not that.

Which brings Brighton, Spurs etc back into the conversation of tactics. Each team is using what they have with a similar tactic.

On the three true CB's - Arse use Tomiyasu in a way I think Klopp could see Endo.

33 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

If we are talking about title challenging, the only two of those teams that matter are Arsenal and City, and when those teams actually play with a true out of position hybrid defender, they usually play with 3 centre backs. Newcastle do also, who are more relevant than Brighton and Spurs. If we actually played with a CB in Robertsons place, it would make Konate or whoever plays in that positions' job a whole lot easier. VVD can position much more central safe in the knowledge that the defender on his left can deal with typical CB duties like aerial duels etc. Of course this still requires very competent defensive setup in midfield to assist with coverage, of which there is no evidence we have in place yet.

I don't think Klopp believes we have to play with a hybrid CB in that formation.

I think if he did, it would have been a priority signing, and it clearly has not been.

If you look at it, a team like City actually play that system pretty conservatively. It's basically an attacking group of 5 and a defensive group of 5. Meanwhile, we are basically playing with 3 defenders, the centre backs and a holding player, and then 7 attacking profiles.

Whether that is incredible, suicidal, or we will eventually find a bit more of a balance, we'll see. And that's seperate from the "do we have enough quality" question.

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

For those who prefer listening or reading some in-depth content before spaffing over-confident and ill-considered tosh over multiple forum pages, head over to The Ripple Effect podcast where they talk about our issues and our options.  

If that's where you're getting your football opinions I'll give it a miss.

• Haha 3