You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Cup Final 2022 - Argentina v France

Bjornebye

Who are you rooting for?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you rooting for?

• Argentina Argentina Argentina
    • Les Blues
    • I'm not arsed The Bitch is on holiday therefore we're all on holiday

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/12/22 at 12:00

14 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Sorry to hear the above.

My original reading of your post, IMO, seemed to downplay Paris. If I’ve misinterpreted something, then apologies. 

Not at all. I am angry on your behalf and believe that the tragedy in 89 actually 'helped' any further loss of life in Paris. Incompetence and blissful ignorance have become a major part of football governorship nowadays and lessons of the past continue to be ignored at the expense of financial benefits to those ultimately in charge.

I am also probably one of a silent minority who is not convinced by the 'safe standing' argument either,to be honest.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Harrison Booth said:

I don't think the Messi Ronaldo thing will be a thing in 10 years regardless of the outcome. Ronaldo was a brilliant goal scorer but when he's gone he will relegated down to the next tier with the original Ronaldo, Cruyff, Eusebio etc, in all honesty there is no reason for him to considered any higher than Gerd Muller, Ian Rush or anyone of that ilk. He was physical specimen with a hunger for goals rarely seen before, thats all he was. Messi will stay in the top tier with Maradona and Pele.

Halaand is proving what Ronaldo done is purely a numbers game, 10 goals per season handed to them from the peno spot for starters, it's a different sport to what Rush, Van Basten and the likes where playing in, even the original Ronaldo was fair game for a good hoof up the hole, modern players have everything stacked in their favour. 

whatever you think of him personally,I think he has been an utterly phenomenal player.

55 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

whatever you think of him personally,I think he has been an utterly phenomenal player.

I'm not arguing otherwise, he will be top 20 of all time but he isn't in the conversation as greatest of all time. Messi is.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Harrison Booth said:

I'm not arguing otherwise, he will be top 20 of all time but he isn't in the conversation as greatest of all time. Messi is.

Kinda agree.

There are players you can tell that are born with natural ability and make the game look effortless and beautiful. Then you get fake ronaldo who has had to work hard to get to 'his standard'.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Kinda agree.

There are players you can tell that are born with natural ability and make the game look effortless and beautiful. Then you get fake ronaldo who has had to work hard to get to 'his standard'.

The only thing he has over a Shearer, Van Basten or Rush is the long term consistency. They all had season where they were as good as him, they didn't ever have a season where their ability matched Messi.

I'm not belittling his ability or record, he was unbelievable. If Halaand out scores him are we to believe he's better than him and therefore as good as Maradona or Pele?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Booth said:

The only thing he has over a Shearer, Van Basten or Rush is the long term consistency. They all had season where they were as good as him, they didn't ever have a season where their ability matched Messi.

I'm not belittling his ability or record, he was unbelievable. If Halaand out scores him are we to believe he's better than him and therefore as good as Maradona or Pele?

think he is light years away from the likes of shearer personally,simply in terms of the variety goals he has scored.

Id still have maradonna above messi,though Id like to see him winning a wc.   

I think we will win this : we have a better team, we play like Italy and we win like Germany , that’s 9 world cups in the bag.

But, the virus is knocking out 2 players a day it seems.

Well, it’s already the B team, so put the C team on and collect the fucking cup, put Konaté in the plane safe and sound. 

This team is playing like shit, but Deschamps is amazing, a born winner, he learnt his trade in Italy. 

Honestly, should we have all the players fit for Sunday, no way this Didier’s team can lose. Italy never lose finals. 

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I think we will win this : we have a better team, we play like Italy and we win like Germany , that’s 9 world cups in the bag.

But, the virus is knocking out 2 players a day it seems.

Well, it’s already the B team, so put the C team on and collect the fucking cup, put Konaté in the plane safe and sound. 

This team is playing like shit, but Deschamps is amazing, a born winner, he learnt his trade in Italy. 

Honestly, should we have all the players fit for Sunday, no way this Didier’s team can lose. Italy never lose finals. 

9?

On 15/12/2022 at 11:16, Razoray said:

There are scummy cunts in every country and people in government all around the world that will lie to save face but I'm not sure many governments would have completed a report within 2 weeks of the event, which turned the blame onto systematic failures and locals, and admit that there was no evidence of ticketless fans. 

We of all fanbases should applaud a country that can do that. There are over 67m people living in France and they have their issues, but let's not let the bastards on the day and the way the cops are told to police, tar the entire nation.

And fuck Messi and the whole entourage around him willing him to win the world cup. Hopefully the ref doesn’t make it easier for him than it should be

Yes I can’t stand Messi, Konate is French and all the French people I’ve met when I’ve visited have been lovely.

Argentina for me.

I'm no big fan of Messi as a person. He's incredible but seems like a tit so it's not much to do with him. Mbappe seems like an equally big tit though so those things even out.

It's due to their fans, due to the fact I've had numerous bad experiences in France and mainly and most importantly due to having Argentina in a sweepstake.

4 minutes ago, John102 said:

Without wanting to get attacked by the old farts of the forum, outside of a Liverpool forum, i think you'd struggle to find one person who would put Rush in the Same bracket as Ronaldo.

You'd possibly find a few fans of the same generation who support other English clubs wondering how Ronaldo would have got on with a 27kg ball, playing in a slurry pit, and having defenders kicking lumps out of him for 90 minutes every week.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

You'd possibly find a few fans of the same generation who support other English clubs wondering how Ronaldo would have got on with a 27kg ball, playing in a slurry pit, and having defenders kicking lumps out of him for 90 minutes every week.

I imagine it would be like dropping a Eurofighter Typhoon into a WW2 dogfight