You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arthur Melo

Bjornebye

I feel sorry for him. He clearly put in a massive effort to get ready, then had an injury, then showed by all accounts an excellent attitude. Players in the past have come in and lazed around without a care in the world and received far less flak. I'm not sure where anyone outside the club was able to to assess his ability, and I'm not sure why he should be treated as though he did something 'wrong'. Did the deal involve payments per appearances? Whatever the reason for not giving him any more time, a lot of the mocking chatter seems classless and childish. 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, Tarwater said:

I don’t think it’s Arthur himself being mocked, as much as the decision to make him our only midfield strengthening move. It seemed strange and downright stupid even before the season, with no hindsight needed…

Not only he was out only signing, but we brought in a player who had a track record of struggling to stay fit even with niggly injuries to solve an injury crisis. You couldn't make it up really. 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Not only he was out only signing, but we brought in a player who had a track record of struggling to stay fit even with niggly injuries to solve an injury crisis. You couldn't make it up really. 

No, no...we are all classless and childish for having the temerity to express disappointment in us bringing in a player to help with a crisis in midfield who hadn't played for months ahead of joining, who had no pre season prior to him joining, who had a terrible injury record and who then not long after joining picked up a long term injury....

And on top of all that, once he recovered we never deemed him good enough to play a single minute, even in a midfield that continued to be ravaged by injuries and shit form from players.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, an tha said:

No, no...we are all classless and childish for having the temerity to express disappointment in us bringing in a player to help with a crisis in midfield who hadn't played for months ahead of joining, who had no pre season prior to him joining, who had a terrible injury record and who then not long after joining picked up a long term injury....

And on top of all that, once he recovered we never deemed him good enough to play a single minute, even in a midfield that continued to be ravaged by injuries and shit form from players.

Our fabulous high tech backroom team played a fucking blinder with him. Maybe he was signed to take throw ins but he got shoulder injuries so couldn't raise his arms to take throw ins. It was laughable and says a lot about who says what we do just now. When Kloppo retires and puts his book out we might get some answers.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

There was a time, a few years ago, when we seemed to get all of our transfer business absolutely right.  The Arthur signing was as far from that as you can imagine.

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There was a time, a few years ago, when we seemed to get all of our transfer business absolutely right.  The Arthur signing was as far from that as you can imagine.

Well I don't know if we did get it all right. There's loads of examples, especially on the cheap end, where players haven't been a success. I'd say Shaq & minamino are examples of that (and I'm not even getting into keita). Clearly there was no appetite in the club to buy anyone, Arthur was just another of them but in the loan market instead of the "even if he's shit we'll probably get our money back" market. Arthur was a reflection of the clubs continued desire to manage costs and while it was obviously an expensive deal now it's failed, it was limited to a 12 month impact, which is all the budget would allow.

Then you add this to the 2 other buys last season, it feels things aren't great, but carvalho was no different to Solanke. And because of injuries, we needed Nunez to hit the ground running like Salah and mane did. If Jota and Diaz had stayed fit, he'd have had much less pressure to succeed immediately. But you can't expect all signings to hit the ground running.

I'm not really too concerned about who we buy, just can we get and keep players fit so players get time to bed in (and we have a near full squad to choose from each week) and of course klopp is given a decent amount to spend. I don't have too much faith in either of those things. 

Shaq & Taki cost less than £21m for the pair.  We got the decent squad players we paid for.

Over three seasons we got a bunch of absolutely stellar signings, with only two big-money disappointments (mainly because of injuries) and one cheap goalie who was a slight upgrade, but who shit the bed when he was most needed.

IMG_20230605_093725.jpg

IMG_20230605_093808.jpg

IMG_20230605_093852.jpg

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Shaq & Taki cost less than £21m for the pair.  We got the decent squad players we paid for.

Well they cost 21m plus wages. They did ok because they were cheap, but we could buy them because we had squad places.  That wasn't the case with Arthur (or the midfielder we were signing last year). The squad was full. So we limited our risk to 1 years wages. Klopp himself said he wished we would take more risk but that it had always been this way. 

As I say, I see no real change..we control costs and buy accordingly. I'm sure if we make a respectable amount available to klopp and the recruitment team, we'll make a decent fist of it..but if our budget is the normal 20-30m net and we need to bring in 4 or 5 players, then there'll be more shite. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/01/2024 at 09:21, an tha said:

27 appearances for Fiorentina so far this season and ever present in their league campaign.

1,723 mins total.

Up to 34 appearances now and 2,120 mins.

Has featured in 25 of 26 league games.

Quite the turnaround for the lad.

That deal between Barcelona and Juventus to swap Arthur for Pjanic looks more and more like an FFP fix as the years go by. It allowed both sides to book the full amount for a sale, and amortise the purchase over a number of years. Both players have ended up being sent out on loan, and in the case of Pjanic, moving to the UAE.