You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

I like him but starting to get concerned by him. But when the midfield is as bad as yesterday not sure what he’s supposed to do. His work rate was good but if he’s not getting service…… Ironically, I reckon if he’d come into a side with Trent & Robbo playing as full backs, arrowing 30 crosses a game into the box we’d see a different player. But everything is going thru the middle, very slow, we play walking football, which v the sides throwing 10 behind the ball just makes it even harder. Would love to see us play more aggressively, fast heavy metal football again. Would love to see us with an urgency from the 1st whistle. Too many times we just knock it sideways/back, slow slow football. We have to go a goal down before we see some urgency. Proper sulking over that shit show yesterday. I’d fuck Mo, Dom & Diaz off for the Arsenal game after that, I really would. It’s happening far too often with them now & they need to be dropped

1 minute ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

I like him but starting to get concerned by him. But when the midfield is as bad as yesterday not sure what he’s supposed to do. His work rate was good but if he’s not getting service…… Ironically, I reckon if he’d come into a side with Trent & Robbo playing as full backs, arrowing 30 crosses a game into the box we’d see a different player. But everything is going thru the middle, very slow, we play walking football, which v the sides throwing 10 behind the ball just makes it even harder. Would love to see us play more aggressively, fast heavy metal football again. Would love to see us with an urgency from the 1st whistle. Too many times we just knock it sideways/back, slow slow football. We have to go a goal down before we see some urgency. Proper sulking over that shit show yesterday. I’d fuck Mo, Dom & Diaz off for the Arsenal game after that, I really would. It’s happening far too often with them now & they need to be dropped

Agree with this. He'd have been better suited to the first iteration of Klopp's team when the ball went from back to front in a matter of seconds. It's no coincidence that all our forwards look shit with the absolute dire, sideways,  backwards Jamie Redknappesque football we are playing. Nunez is always making runs yet the ball never goes forward until the back 2 have passed to each other about a million times.

5 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

There's only so long that we can keep putting games in a silo as a strawman defence of his performances and acting like they're one offs when the reality is it's a pattern and the good performances, rather than the bad, are the anomaly. 

This is becoming the Utd gave Ferguson 5 years of defences.

Klopp turned Lewandowski into a great striker but he signed him for 4.5m and went from 9 goals and 4 assists in his first season to 30 goals and 12 assists in his second season.

Lewandowski played around 17 full games of minutes in his first season at Dortmund when I pulled up his stats and scored 8 and got 3 assists. Year 2 he had 22 goals and 8 assists in the league. 

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Mo frequently finds him. But he either fucks it up or he's offside. 

Mo found him yesterday and without a shit touch he's in. He fucked up his touch leading to Diaz chance where he then stood still watching the ball rather than chase it and have a good chance at a tap in

Up until last couple of games I’d say he’s been performing well in the main and looking like our main threat without getting the goals.

Not sure what’s happened but last 2 maybe 3, for the first time, he’s not performed well or looked a threat. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, etho said:

Up until last couple of games I’d say he’s been performing well in the main and looking like our main threat without getting the goals.

Not sure what’s happened but last 2 maybe 3, for the first time, he’s not performed well or looked a threat. 

Agree with this.  

At some point 'it'll come' is going to lose all meaning, having listened to that prediction for 18 months it''s already outstayed it's welcome.

He has to deliver or some people are going to need to start applying some critical thinking instead of throwing anything they can in front of him as an excuse why he can't.

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

At some point 'it'll come' is going to lose all meaning, having listened to that prediction for 18 months it''s already outstayed it's welcome.

He has to deliver or some people are going to need to start applying some critical thinking instead of throwing anything they can in front of him as an excuse why he can't.

Have we ever had a prolific number 9 under Klopp? He just doesn't set up to accommodate a 30 goal a season main striker. If he's only being judged on goals in this day in age then it's pretty bollocks. 

If he wasn't looking for a goalscorer he bought the wrong striker, no?

I mean when I was arguing the point you're now making and saying we needed a player who could play as a false 9 and was better in the build up play to replace Firmino I was crazy and Nunez is ace and is going to score loads of goals.

Now that he's not scoring goals (and while his all round play has improved it's nowhere near the level we need it to be) suddenly he's not a goalscorer and we really signed him for his, at the time non-existent, now, adequate for a top level professional footballer, build up play?

His enigmatic approach is only matched by his ardent defenders, this is a player we're told is 'chaos' and who 'makes things happen' while simultaneously being told we can't expect him to make things happen because all the other players are stifling his genius and not giving him the service.

To get the best out of him, it's looking more and more like the team has to cater to his off-the-cuff instincts, as he's a player who thrives off his instincts rather than a more measured tactical approach. Give him time to think and he comes unstuck. I sort of get the impression that he is like Homer thinking of a dancing monkey when Jurgen and Pep are talking tactics.

23 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

I'm no big fan of his, but that's not entirely his doing. Our way of attacking, in the main, is very fucking slow. We don't seem to have any intention of taking advantage of opportunities to break. The slightly aimless slow passing couldn't possibly suit Nunez any less. 

We simply have to start Gakpo, or change how we play. As others have said Nunez looks far more useful as a sub where he has more chance to run at tired defences when the game opens up a bit. 

He isn't doing us any favours and vice versa.

I had a seat up in the gods in the new Annie road yesterday. And while it's a pretty shit seat for nearly everything, what it's great for is watching shape and movement. Time and again Nunez makes runs, we just fail to take advantage, because we don't ever play the pass. In fact about the only thing we ever use his running for is when he pulls defenders with him (and varane and Evans were both following him yesterday) and leaves Salah open and Salah gets the pass - and we never play the Salah pass quickly enough either. If we are to persist with playing through the middle or only crossing from 30-40 yards from goal, then we need 5 new forwards, because none of them are suited to what we're trying to do at the moment. It's like we're trying to be city before haaland. Certainly in games like that when the opposition sits in, which probably happens in 70% of games.