You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

6 minutes ago, J-V said:

We need two midfielders anyway we can't wait until next year for both.  Naby and Ox need to be fucked off.

Yep. It’s another wasted season if we don’t do big business, because City, Chelsea et al won’t stand still.

After we lost in 2018, we showed huge intent with Alisson and Fabinho, and that’s the level of signings required this time around - players that not only markedly improve the team, but say to the squad we mean business and intend to be back here next year.

Going back in with the same squad after a decent but ultimately disappointing season sends the message that treading water is okay.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think the only midfielder that will leave this summer will be Ox and we have already replaced him with Fabio Carvalho.

So we're giving Keita a new contract or letting £52m of shite walk for free

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Sadly treading water has tended to be the FSG way.

I’d argue that they’ve generally tended to do what was needed at the right time, but January 2021 was a massive strike against them, and failing to invest properly this summer would be similarly disastrous.

Slip behind now and, instead of looking at greatness and another extension, we risk Klopp’s final four years becoming a Wenger style situation where all parties are almost counting down the days because the club is no longer interested in challenging for the big two.

14 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

If we have 9 players who have good allround game I am sure we can afford one player who is just good at sticking the ball in the net.

Hardly any top team have that kind of player these days, I reckon there is a good reason for that. 

Anyway it certainly wont happen as long as Klopp is here, unless he decides to make big changes to the way we play.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Hardly any top team have that kind of player these days, I reckon there is a good reason for that. 

Anyway it certainly wont happen as long as Klopp is here, unless he decides to make big changes to the way we play.

Guardiola clearly knows that systems have shelf-lives given the arrival of Haaland.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

Guardiola clearly knows that systems have shelf-lives given the arrival of Haaland.

Guardiola also said City will need to change the way they play to get the best out of Haaland. That said I’m sure Haaland will have to adapt as well, as I can’t see Guardiola abandoning his style completely. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how it works out.

As for keeping players that only are there to stick the ball in the net, and let the other 9 take care of the other stuff, about the only team in the PL doing that have been the red mancs.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I need a signing to cheer me up. I just bought myself some sunglasses but that didn't work. Think I'll stand at the back door and look out the window for a bit.

Have you tried wanking?

Edit: move away from the back door first.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Same thing as one year ago, we are screaming out for a couple of midfielders with pace. One defensive and the other a creater, hopefully who can take a mean free kick.

Yep, we need someone who can do something more with the ball and chip in with goals. The midfield can't just be something functional as has been the case for several seasons. It'll take a lot of pressure off the fullbacks too.

30 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Guardiola also said City will need to change the way they play to get the best out of Haaland. That said I’m sure Haaland will have to adapt as well, as I can’t see Guardiola abandoning his style completely. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how it works out.

As for keeping players that only are there to stick the ball in the net, and let the other 9 take care of the other stuff, about the only team in the PL doing that have been the red mancs.

I'd imagine the Ibrahimovic disaster will have focused his mind.

That said Haaland isn't being brought in to win them the league or the odd domestic trophy, it's to get them past that CL game they always have and fail with.

Even they make Haaland stand in one spot in the penalty area he'll get 20+ goals just from cut backs.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

I'd imagine the Ibrahimovic disaster will have focused his mind.

That said Haaland isn't being brought in to win them the league or the odd domestic trophy, it's to get them past that CL game they always have and fail with.

Haaland will start most of the league games next season. They know we are close and want to pull out. It's upto us to get the players so the gap doesn't get wider.

The midfield definitely needs work, it's been our undoing this season.  It's not just that the players we have are injury prone or offer very little going forward, it's that they slow down our build up play.  I don't care what anyone says about Thiago's passing being quick (it might well be be but it's also generally short, and very often ineffective) but there's no doubt we are not as dynamic as we were before he arrived.  There could be many factors for that, our forwards getting older for one, but I don't think it's a coincidence.  I don't like him as a footballer personally though I can accept that he's widely regarded and considered technically great, and I and don't like him in this team.  He is about average for us, nothing special, and as someone who's quite often unavailable that's just not acceptable.

I don't think Jones has what it takes and the jury is out in Elliott because of his injury.

I know the forward line needs some work, but I genuinely think the midfield is in dire straits.

Just now, Carra_is_legend said:

May be I misunderstood your "he is not bought to win the league"

By that I mean City have won the league 4 out of the last 5 (?) years and have scored 106, 95, 102, 83 and 99 goals with points tallies of  100, 98, 81 (2nd), 86 and 93.

They aren't lacking the quality to win the premier league and Haaland hasn't been bought because that's where they're struggling. There's a finite number of points available and us and City are pretty much capping out what's possible in terms of return (give or take a few points)

What they need and what I believe Haaland is here for, is those European nights against Madrid or Lyon or Spurs where that extra bit of star quality can get you a winning goal.