You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

The Loneliest Sport 

On this day...

'Hagler was a truly beautiful man and the complete package. It was a great experience fighting him in America but a daunting prospect because the arena was massive. Everywhere I looked there were film stars and rock stars all there to see me get bashed up. I didn’t disgrace myself, it was six rounds and I got badly cut. Everything that could’ve gone wrong did, but it doesn’t matter because I was still on a great stage with a great man.

You need to have that focus and tunnel vision for every fight. When you have that it’s a beautiful thing. Your stomach’s in knots and it’s a fantastic feeling. It’s life or death and all of a sudden you explode and you’re unstoppable. I didn’t always have that and didn’t that night.' - Tony Sibson

11th February 1983 - Worcester DCU Center, Massachusetts

Tony 'Sibbo' Sibson travels across the pond to challenge Marvelous Marvin Hagler for the Undisputed Middleweight World Championship.

Hagler, who was making his 6th title defence since mercilessly dismantling the late Alan Minter three years previously, was in fine form and was both ruthless and clinical in his performance, outclassing Sibson from the opening bell.

Sibson fought bravely, relentlessly stalking the Champion, hoping a chink in the armour would eventually reveal itself. But the openings never came, and Sibson couldn't avoid the vicious lighting-fast jabs that landed nor the spiteful combinations that followed.

The 5th round saw a cut open above the left eye of the challenger, who despite his valiant efforts, was beginning to unravel as Hagler went through the gears. As Sibson sauntered back to his corner at the end of the round, one could sense the end was near. Including Hagler.

Sibson, a proud and stubborn warrior, emerged for the 6th round but was clearly feeling the effects of the punishment he'd already absorbed. As the seconds of the round ticked away, Sibson's legs looked increasingly unsteady with each punch that snapped his head back until a right hook finally sent him down to the canvas on his backside.

To his credit, Sibson climbed to his feet and assured referee, Carlos Padilla that he was able to fight on. Moments later however, a succession of savagely executed punches sent him crashing to his hands and knees. Once again, Sibson rose to his feet but he was in no condition to continue as far as Padilla was concerned and the fight was waved off.

FB_IMG_1644708390631.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I like Ryder , but I can't see how he won 7 rounds in that fight.

Seemed generous, but Ryder has been on the end of some shaftings and Jacobs got lucky against Rosado. Can't really begrudge him some fortune and it's not like the loss will hurt Jacobs too badly.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Belarus said:

Reckon this will be a great fight. My prediction is that Ryder will go hard after him early on, then Jacobs will weather the storm and pick him off. Jacobs stoppage win in rounds 7-9

What the fuck do I know anyway??

Ryder massively underrated. Who has he got a title shot with?

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

True enough ,  and Jacobs looks finished at top level at Super-Middle so it most likely won't make much difference in the long run.

Finished is right. Understandable given his age, the amount of money he's made and previous health problems.

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was listening to Frank Warren on talk Sport last night. He's fuming at Dillian White for not signing the deal for the Fury fight. He's getting 7 million quid and a shot at the belts ffs. Apparently he's got until Wednesday. 

If I was getting that deal 2 fights on from getting sparked by a fat 40 year old , I would be slashing my finger and signing it in blood.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John102 said:

I bet its explosive

I was starting to worry that Khan will do Kell, having been confident in Brook for years in this fight. I’ve got no idea who will win it though - there’s no way to gauge where they both are physically currently. 

Im just hoping Kell has his timing almost still in tact, and with power being the last to go, he should be alright. Khan hasn’t fought for fucking ages - hopefully that’s removed any sense of speed and resistance now. 

However late this fight is, I’ll still be massively up for it on Saturday.

Brook has really started to grate on me for a while now. It’s pretty pathetic, some of the stuff he came out with in that Gloves are Off. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m hoping for a big performance from Amir Khan at weekend. Surely to god though, he’s going to leave his chin hanging out at some point. 

48 minutes ago, John102 said:

Why don't people like Khan? There may be something that I've forgotten but I can't think of anything. Always been in exciting fights too before getting chinned. 

Baffles me too.

He seems a bit daft but likeable, been a fantastic ambassador for British Asians and sport and is never in a bad fight.

I quite like both of them. A Khan win with both coming out with credit and their health intact would be my preferred option.