Jump to content
Trumo

Southampton (H) - Sat 27th Nov 2021 (3:00pm)

Recommended Posts

A third home game in a week then. Southampton are the visitors on Saturday, fresh off being beaten at rock-bottom Norwich last weekend. What do we need?

 

Power. Invention. Surefootedness. Shooting boots. Organisation. Fortitude. Freshness. Tenacity. Intelligence. Serenity. Style.

 

I don’t ask for much.

 

Last season’s game in May finished 2-0 to the Reds but we rode our luck a little bit. Defensive sloppiness presented Southampton with a handful of really good opportunities. We were OK at the other end though. Sadio contorted himself to get on the end of Mo’s cross to the far post, and Thiago opened his Liverpool account late on by drilling a shot low into the corner from the edge of the area.

 

We had a better time of it in September 1982. We were reigning champions and it was the start of Sir Bob’s swansong at the end of an illustrious managerial career. We’d go on to retain both the league and the League Cup that season, and this early game against a now Keegan-less Southampton set an early marker. Whelan and Lawro each got 2 - his second a cracker - and Souey belted in another from long range past Shilton in a rampant 5-0 demolition at Anfield. They were a year or two away from being a really good side in their own right, but Southampton were still miles behind Liverpool’s dominant level.

 

 

The big box office draw was part of a franchise. Back in the early 80s, franchises were still a reasonably rare sight. Star Wars, Rocky and Indiana Jones were the most obvious examples but other than that, they were the preserve of the horror genre. Amityville II: The Possession was what all the kids were going to see. In fact, the film is actually a prequel to The Amityville Horror. That was a reasonably good film based on real life events. This one is a shower of shit purely aimed at cashing in on continued interest in the whole Amityville media circus. If I’m making it sound like dogshit, that’s because it is. Swerve.

 

 

Hasenhuttl’s team have been a strange bunch ever since he took over. Inconsistency is the norm for the Saints but under the Austrian, Southampton have had some wild peaks and troughs. They could go on runs where they looked like a side that could challenge for a European place one week, and the next get webbed all over the gaff by the likes of Leicester. Whatever challenge they present, Jurgen and the lads just need to focus on the game on its own merits, give it the right application and concentration, and get the job done. They know they can do it. We know they can do it. They just need to show why that’s the case, and not serve up dogshit.

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're now able to put out a strong and experienced midfield for this. That gives me optimism that we should be controlling this and getting the win.

 

Just get these beat, Reds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LFC 6 Times said:

Alisson, Trent, Matip, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Mo, Jota, Mane

 

4-0.

Arguably our best 11....Jota/Firmino is only doubt on that for my money.

 

And as Firmino is out it is for me our best available 11.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trumo said:

A third home game in a week then. Southampton are the visitors on Saturday, fresh off being beaten at rock-bottom Norwich last weekend. What do we need?

 

Power. Invention. Surefootedness. Shooting boots. Organisation. Fortitude. Freshness. Tenacity. Intelligence. Serenity. Style.

 

I don’t ask for much.

 

Last season’s game in May finished 2-0 to the Reds but we rode our luck a little bit. Defensive sloppiness presented Southampton with a handful of really good opportunities. We were OK at the other end though. Sadio contorted himself to get on the end of Mo’s cross to the far post, and Thiago opened his Liverpool account late on by drilling a shot low into the corner from the edge of the area.

 

We had a better time of it in September 1982. We were reigning champions and it was the start of Sir Bob’s swansong at the end of an illustrious managerial career. We’d go on to retain both the league and the League Cup that season, and this early game against a now Keegan-less Southampton set an early marker. Whelan and Lawro each got 2 - his second a cracker - and Souey belted in another from long range past Shilton in a rampant 5-0 demolition at Anfield. They were a year or two away from being a really good side in their own right, but Southampton were still miles behind Liverpool’s dominant level.

 

 

The big box office draw was part of a franchise. Back in the early 80s, franchises were still a reasonably rare sight. Star Wars, Rocky and Indiana Jones were the most obvious examples but other than that, they were the preserve of the horror genre. Amityville II: The Possession was what all the kids were going to see. In fact, the film is actually a prequel to The Amityville Horror. That was a reasonably good film based on real life events. This one is a shower of shit purely aimed at cashing in on continued interest in the whole Amityville media circus. If I’m making it sound like dogshit, that’s because it is. Swerve.

 

 

Hasenhuttl’s team have been a strange bunch ever since he took over. Inconsistency is the norm for the Saints but under the Austrian, Southampton have had some wild peaks and troughs. They could go on runs where they looked like a side that could challenge for a European place one week, and the next get webbed all over the gaff by the likes of Leicester. Whatever challenge they present, Jurgen and the lads just need to focus on the game on its own merits, give it the right application and concentration, and get the job done. They know they can do it. We know they can do it. They just need to show why that’s the case, and not serve up dogshit.

Wow,1982 was that 5-0 game? I remember being there. Thanks for reminding me I'm getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Wow,1982 was that 5-0 game? I remember being there. Thanks for reminding me I'm getting old.

 

How old are you Vlad?

 

I've always imagined you as a curmudgeonly 58 in all the years I've been on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

0-2!

 

Edit: Did these beat us last season during our horrendous run? I'm sure they did.

1-0, Danny Ings with a cheeky lob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday great.  She’s booked a hotel for Friday and made plans for Saturday.

 

On the plus side, we always win when she makes plan during a game, always.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same team as Arsenal please no one deserves to get dropped. Tsimikas certainly is in a better form than Robbo, Thiago and Ox are forming a real nice progressive midfield partnership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Same team as Arsenal please no one deserves to get dropped. Tsimikas certainly is in a better form than Robbo, Thiago and Ox are forming a real nice progressive midfield partnership.

Ox has been ok,but him and Thiago? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Ox has been ok,but him and Thiago? 

Yes with Fabinho behind them; same midfield against Arsenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson and Robbo need more minutes ahead of the derby, in my opinion, so I'd have them both start against Southampton with the intention of taking them off after an hour or so, hopefully when the game is all but won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, an tha said:

We really should not be playing Oxlade for a minute longer than we absolutely have to.


Oxlade was not very good, but decent last night. Dont think Henderson has played any better than that this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:


Oxlade was not very good, but decent last night. Dont think Henderson has played any better than that this season.

 

I'd still rather see Henderson start over him every single time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:


Oxlade was not very good, but decent last night. Dont think Henderson has played any better than that this season.

 

I get your point but its not even close to being true. Henderson has been below par so far but has still performed much better than Chamberpot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I get your point but its not even close to being true. Henderson has been below par so far but has still performed much better than Chamberpot.


Better than Oxlade over the season so far, absolutely. Has he been better than Oxlade was last night, which wasn’t great, not so sure. I think Henderson has been average to poor all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, an tha said:

We really should not be playing Oxlade for a minute longer than we absolutely have to.

I would have agreed a few weeks ago but happily I think I was wrong and he is really growing into his role in the team again. When Dave said in one of his match reports it feels like something big is coming from him, I was doubtful but now I’m fully on board the Oxlade love bus. Smash it lad.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I would have agreed a few weeks ago but happily I think I was wrong and he is really growing into his role in the team again. When Dave said in one of his match reports it feels like something big is coming from him, I was doubtful but now I’m fully on board the Oxlade love bus. Smash it lad.

He's doing fine,no argument and deserves his place for now. He just needs to keep doing the simple things well and his best will come back naturally. Staying fit is the concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I would have agreed a few weeks ago but happily I think I was wrong and he is really growing into his role in the team again. When Dave said in one of his match reports it feels like something big is coming from him, I was doubtful but now I’m fully on board the Oxlade love bus. Smash it lad.

Not for me.

 

He is just dead average at everything IMO - fine in a dead average team but well short in a team like ours.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of life's ironies is that we would have been in a real spot over the past 6/8 weeks if Ox had been injured. Give or take Harvey and assuming no further immediate injuries  we will be up to full numbers in midfield soon , and Ox will revert to squad cover status with our appreciation for his recent help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×