You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Open Championship 2021

'Easy' is relative though. The gap between pros and your average golfer is absolutely gigantic. If you're playing and training for something almost 24 hours a day,7 days week then you will be shit hot. Playing a handfull of rounds and the odd driving range session is never going to cut it.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Easy' is relative though. The gap between pros and your average golfer is absolutely gigantic. If you're playing and training for something almost 24 hours a day,7 days week then you will be shit hot. Playing a handfull of rounds and the odd driving range session is never going to cut it.

That course wasn’t easy for anyone. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Agree the gap between pro's and your regular weekend amateur is massive. Having said that St Georges was never easy. I was following a local youngster Garrick Higgo , he's already won in the US and on the European tour. He hits the ball a mile and yet he missed the cut on 8 over when the pins were in their easiest position. Winning amateur golfer was +1 I think.

On 19/07/2021 at 09:38, CapeRed said:

I play a links course out here and a good few years back Calvin Peete played in the SA Open here. The first day was so calm , no wind , and he shot the lights out. Called it a "pitch and putt course " . Next day the resident S. Easter blew like fuck, he missed the cut. His opening day score card is still on display in the clubhouse.

Sorry fella, missed the "good" part.

Peete's is an extraordinary golf story, truly one of a kind at a time when quite a few did not want him to succeed.

As for playing tournament courses I have been lucky enough to play a number of rounds at different tracks either a few days before, or just after a couple PGA events (Desert Mountain, Copperhead, Torrey Pines) and got to play Ridgewood the year it hosted the Senior PGA. The idea that any of them are easy is false (that includes any of the "target" events)- it is just the difference between even the very best club players and guys playing regularly on tour is massive.

DeChambeau's a bit of a funny one. He was pretty darn good before the muscling up - top amateur player.

I am not sure he can handle the pressure cooker he has made for himself recently though - imo the best thing he could do would be shut his mouth for awhile and put some wins on the board. 

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sorry fella, missed the "good" part.

Peete's is an extraordinary golf story, truly one of a kind at a time when quite a few did not want him to succeed.

As for playing tournament courses I have been lucky enough to play a number of rounds at different tracks either a few days before, or just after a couple PGA events (Desert Mountain, Copperhead, Torrey Pines) and got to play Ridgewood the year it hosted the Senior PGA. The idea that any of them are easy is false (that includes any of the "target" events)- it is just the difference between even the very best club players and guys playing regularly on tour is massive.

DeChambeau's a bit of a funny one. He was pretty darn good before the muscling up - top amateur player.

I am not sure he can handle the pressure cooker he has made for himself recently though - imo the best thing he could do would be shut his mouth for awhile and put some wins on the board. 

No worries mate. Those tournament courses you mentioned look fuckin scary reckon you need to be a single figure handicap to enjoy.

I quite like De Chambeau but his swing and set up look strange to me ( kind of wooden) I think when the wheels come off it would lead him to a whole world of pain.

39 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah Phil shot 80 on Thursday. Stewart Cink followed up a 66 with a 77 and missed the cut.

Fucking hell, takes up golf for a year and he's on first name terms with the legends of the sport now. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Fucking hell, takes up golf for a year and he's on first name terms with the legends of the sport now. 

I've been playing golf since before you were born, sunshine. I'm arguably no better now than I was back then, but the point stands.

And Phil is Phil. Everyone is on first name terms with him as he's everybody's mate.

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

I've been playing golf since before you were born, sunshine. I'm arguably no better now than I was back then, but the point stands.

And Phil is Phil. Everyone is on first name terms with him as he's everybody's mate.

Aah I thought it was a recent enterprise given the form you show on your Instagram …. 

I call him Mick. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Aah I thought it was a recent enterprise given the form you show on your Instagram …. 

I call him Mick. 

So you weren't around during the TLW golf tournaments then. Might bring that back actually, it was always a boss day.

Need to dust off the old plus fours again....

golf2 copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Also, for anyone interested, I did a 'round up' only for the golf instead of the footy.

https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/?p=237

Ha. That’s boss. I’m only a casual fan really but keep posting those in your golf thread please.

I’ll probably switch off now until the Ryder Cup and maybe a couple of the big ones towards the end of the Fed-Ex.  

12 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Good read as usual that Dave. I still prefer Brooks to Bryson although I see your points 

Oh I do as well. I respect the fact that Brooks hates him and isn't prepared to hide it.

I just think it's a nuanced situation rather than 'good guy' v 'bad guy' and I don't like how loads are piling on. The problem is Bryson can't help but say and do stupid shit that makes people not like him.

32 minutes ago, dave u said:

Oh I do as well. I respect the fact that Brooks hates him and isn't prepared to hide it.

I just think it's a nuanced situation rather than 'good guy' v 'bad guy' and I don't like how loads are piling on. The problem is Bryson can't help but say and do stupid shit that makes people not like him.

I feel bad but even his walk and his stupid hat piss me off. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I’m not sure, there’s a pretty long list to consider.

Tell me something worse than his shirtless Tik Tok bros pumping iron and trying to outdo eachother on ball speed on the launch monitors.

I'll wait.