You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 - 1 Olympiakos

Kevin D

"Lovely cushion header...." 

I fucking love European nights when we are up against it. That PSG game was my first proper taste of it and even though I was devastated leaving the ground I was high as a kite. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

It's sometimes easy to forget how phenomenal a player Steven Gerrard was. If he'd played in this Klopp side we'd probably be on numbers 21 & 8 now. In the same bracket as Paul Scholes & Lampard, yeh alright!

He wasn't a once a generation.

He was a once a millennium superstar.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Hello all. My name is Antonio Nunez. I'm going to move out of the wall at the last second when one of great Brazilians of his generation is lining up a free-kick.

There was a point in that game when Stevie was so riled up at the start of the second half that he booted one of the Olympiacos players up the arse, but I can never find a highlights with it on. This was the time he was at the end of his real raw streak with the explosive anger - flying into tackles and reacting. Sure he’d already been booked too and I remember looking through my fingers thinking he was getting sent off.

Anyone else remember it? 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, belarus said:

There was a point in that game when Stevie was so riled up at the start of the second half that he booted one of the Olympiacos players up the arse, but I can never find a highlights with it on. This was the time he was at the end of his real raw streak with the explosive anger - flying into tackles and reacting. Sure he’d already been booked too and I remember looking through my fingers thinking he was getting sent off.

Anyone else remember it? 

He became a much more rounded, better player as he got into his late his 20s/early 30s.

That said, the rawness when he burst onto the scene; constantly shooting from distance, going for the Hollywood pass and jumping into 2 footed tackles - I think that might be my favourite version of him. He just wanted it so much and it was palpable.

Yeah, totally agree with that. I was only a few years younger than him, so to see him playing at the top level the way most of us thought we were playing on a Saturday or Sunday in the local leagues was brilliant. That 17 shirt Gerrard was just raw youth, talent and explosiveness with the desire at all times as you say. I remember that story about when he got knocked back from Lilleshall and he absolutely battered the lads in that team when they played against our youth team. Would have put a few off I imagine that!

Still nobody remember the arse kick he gave to the olympiacos lad in that game? I’ve had this conversation a few times and no one remembers it. I’ve made it up

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He became a much more rounded, better player as he got into his late his 20s/early 30s.

That said, the rawness when he burst onto the scene; constantly shooting from distance, going for the Hollywood pass and jumping into 2 footed tackles - I think that might be my favourite version of him. He just wanted it so much and it was palpable.

Were they? Returns or just not sold out??

I miss the old system of turning up on or just before match day and getting a return ticket. More efficient no doubt, but was such a buzz getting one for a big game - you and your mate in opposite ends of the ground though 

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Yeah, totally agree with that. I was only a few years younger than him, so to see him playing at the top level the way most of us thought we were playing on a Saturday or Sunday in the local leagues was brilliant. That 17 shirt Gerrard was just raw youth, talent and explosiveness with the desire at all times as you say. I remember that story about when he got knocked back from Lilleshall and he absolutely battered the lads in that team when they played against our youth team. Would have put a few off I imagine that!

Still nobody remember the arse kick he gave to the olympiacos lad in that game? I’ve had this conversation a few times and no one remembers it. I’ve made it up

Cunt memory.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Were they? Returns or just not sold out??

I miss the old system of turning up on or just before match day and getting a return ticket. More efficient no doubt, but was such a buzz getting one for a big game - you and your mate in opposite ends of the ground though 

Not sure if they were returns, but I phoned up the day before and got two in 304.  Checked the attendance, 42K so even with reduced capacity for UEFA games not sold out.  Madness!

8 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Imagine him breaking through under Klopp now. He'd be the best player in the world within a year. 

• Upvote 1