You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Davies

Megadrive Man

I don't see why people are getting so agitated about him not playing, he was signed because we were having horrific luck with CB injuries, to the point where we couldn't rule out Fabinho, Kabak, and Philips all getting injured and we'd be left with having to play actual children there.

While any two of those are fit Davies won't be playing, he's a back up to the backups.

We also benefitted from sending big ginger Sepp the other way so he could get a bit of first team experience. They can't stop raving about him on the PNE forums, they're made up with him so looks like they got the better end of the deal, Although the thought of keeping him and then having a 19 and a 20 year old as our CB pairing isn't great. 

IMG_20210424_203327.jpg

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Was this the most pointless signing in recent history?. 

A centre back crisis so need someone to ease our midfield so we buy this fella who never fucking plays and play two centre backs ahead of him who were deemed not good enough. Fucking ridiculous. 

You’re not the first to question the use of Fabinho in defence over bringing in Ben Davies. With Phillips still out, clearly we just can’t break the CB jinx. 

In my opinion we lost today because when it counted, we failed to control midfield at the death. As much as Gini & Thiago have skill sets, controlling midfield isn’t included. Fabinho is a must start midfielder from where I’m sitting. Even then, w/o Henderson - again, on and off injuries - the midfield isn’t back to boss level, but its an improvement. Fabinho has the ability to cut off a counter attack ( like Hendo) before the defence gets put under too much pressure.

Either Davies comes across as shit in training, or Jurgen hasn’t got the courage to do something different. Maybe a bit of both, but ultimately, we should never have found ourselves in this situation. Matip was predictable as a situation. That’s his history. VVD had previous injuries - I’m not sure he was fit when we actually bought him, but we simply haven’t invested in CBs for far too long, particularly in view of Lovren moving on. Even Lovren improved with VVD alongside, but we sold him and sailed on into the iceberg zone.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoeBuck01 said:

The genius of Michael Edwards - the man who watches Salzburg for months, and chooses Minamino over Haaland  because he’s a better fit.  

Every team in Europe had watched Haaland

Raiola wanted a escape clause so he could make a fortune selling him on within 3 years and now reports saying to buy him its 20ml to Riaola, 20 ml to Haaland Dad and  30ml net per year for Haaland. He would also only sign for a team that guaranteed him a stating place each week. He would have picked Dortmund over us anyway unless we said yes we will play you each week and yes we will agree to a release clause. Neither was ever going to happen

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JoeBuck01 said:

The genius of Michael Edwards - the man who watches Salzburg for months, and chooses Minamino over Haaland  because he’s a better fit.  

At the time all the usual arselickers like Melissa Reddy were telling everyone how genius the club were for signing him for £7m as his true value was about £30m and it would boost Liverpool's appeal in Japan. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, J-V said:

It's down to the Manager to play him.  It took Klopp an age to play Phillips he was picking Williams game after game whilst we dropped points.  I'd rather see him play before calling him pointless given Klopp's recent decisions.

He was playing Williams before Christmas because Philipps wasn't in our CL squad and klopp likes players with rhythm. Since then Williams has barely got a look in (and rightly so, although I'd have picked him yesterday)

6 hours ago, JoeBuck01 said:

I'm sure the smaller release clause didn't come into it for a second. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

At the time all the usual arselickers like Melissa Reddy were telling everyone how genius the club were for signing him for £7m as his true value was about £30m and it would boost Liverpool's appeal in Japan. 

He's making the bench at Southampton...be worth at least 8m when we sell him in Summer.

On 25/04/2021 at 10:46, Evelyn Tentions said:

Our forwards putting the ball in the net from all the chances we had was what would have helped

2.24 goals per game. That’s what we scored to win the Title last season. We won it on the back of the best midfield in the country, that not only reduced the stress on the back four, but creatively fed the front 3 and full backs. We missed heaps of chances, but successfully defended 2.24 goals per game.

We lost our last two games (Leeds, Newcastle) with a gutless midfield, unable to take control late in the game, thus not preventing a buildup of pressure leading to a late goal in each game. In fact it’s been the story of our season with all the dropped points.

Until we have VVD, Matip, Gomez and Henderson all at full fitness, we won’t win anything.

6 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Until we have VVD, Matip, Gomez and Henderson all at full fitness, we won’t win anything.

You will be waiting along time to have all four of them fit and available. Even if/when they are it's only a matter of time before they break down again particularly the latter three.

We need to try and find the next Henderson, as I think the lack of leadership has been the biggest problem this year.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

You will be waiting along time to have all four of them fit and available. Even if/when they are it's only a matter of time before they break down again particularly the latter three.

We need to try and find the next Henderson, as I think the lack of leadership has been the biggest problem this year.

Agreed regarding Hendo. I’ve mentioned before that considering his career began under Kenny, and the length of time to his maturity into the stalwart he is now, we should already be developing/have brought in his understudy. Milner has been a good backup/partner but not anymore. Fab has established himself, but at 27, I’ve never seen him as Henderson’s replacement, just a midfield compliment.

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

As far as Im aware, wasnt it all the players insisting Klopp buy Minamino after he played against us in the 2 CL games and especially the one at Anfield?

Yeah, because that's how we do our recruitment. We bought minamino because he was 7m, no other reason. If he'd have been 30m like echo told us he was worth at the time, we wouldn't have gone near him. I'm sure our players thought he was a handful when we played them because he was. But that's absolutely nothing to do with why we bought him

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

As far as Im aware, wasnt it all the players insisting Klopp buy Minamino after he played against us in the 2 CL games and especially the one at Anfield?

If we conduct our transfer dealings based on who the players choose as targets then we are even more amateurish than I thought.

On 26/04/2021 at 08:31, VladimirIlyich said:

If we conduct our transfer dealings based on who the players choose as targets then we are even more amateurish than I thought.

I agree if we did it all the time but as I understand it, this was the only time they did say it to Jurgen.

End of the day, what does it matter if some of the reasons to buy Minamino and Davies was if we sell, we sell at a profit? It's part of the reason for the Academy, hope for a gem or two but if not, that the players can be sold on.