You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool Women’s FC

AngryOfTuebrook

2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Sounds a lot better than the dross I watched from Goodison. Learned my lesson, watch anything but Everton.

I watched the first half of that before I left. It was fucking awful. They were moaning about it on 5live when I was in the car, then the shite scored, which seemed to shock them all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had to get an ST there this season to take my daughter. I wondered if the ref did it to keep me awake. The 1st Liverpool pen was reasonably clear cut. The Chelsea one, it hadn't crossed my mind it was a pen, although maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd Liverpool one from my angle looked pretty clear cut, but apparently the defender got the ball, but it looked like she went through the attacker first to me if she did. 

It was deffo a pen, the defender didn't get near the ball.

Great win though, great to beat them no matter which team it is! 

• Upvote 3

I think that if women's football wants to expand it has to be prepared to stop comparisons with the men's game and the media has to stop forcing it into its coverage like such. There will be a niche for it somewhere and I'm sure some savvy marketing executive could find a way of giving it it's own place in the market. Women's football ability,as teams,are on a par with male Youth Football. Friendlies that are arranged often end up with heavy defeats for the girls,but not through lack of ability,more through sheer physical strength and athleticism. I think that maybe copying male Youth football could be their way to go to compensate by smaller sided games,7v7 or 9v9 for example and shortening the pitch appropriately and reducing the height and width of the goals. This would compensate for the lesser strength in the same way female tennis players play 3 sets in Grand Slams and so on. When two mismatched ladies teams play the size of the pitch,height and width of goals,simply widens the class gulf and it becomes embarrassing and no spectacle at all. The 'mini football' model could give the ladies game that share of limelight and the market it so desperately wants. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think that if women's football wants to expand it has to be prepared to stop comparisons with the men's game and the media has to stop forcing it into its coverage like such. There will be a niche for it somewhere and I'm sure some savvy marketing executive could find a way of giving it it's own place in the market. Women's football ability,as teams,are on a par with male Youth Football. Friendlies that are arranged often end up with heavy defeats for the girls,but not through lack of ability,more through sheer physical strength and athleticism. I think that maybe copying male Youth football could be their way to go to compensate by smaller sided games,7v7 or 9v9 for example and shortening the pitch appropriately and reducing the height and width of the goals. This would compensate for the lesser strength in the same way female tennis players play 3 sets in Grand Slams and so on. When two mismatched ladies teams play the size of the pitch,height and width of goals,simply widens the class gulf and it becomes embarrassing and no spectacle at all. The 'mini football' model could give the ladies game that share of limelight and the market it so desperately wants. 

I dunno what level the women's game can get to. To begin with it needs to make kids want to play and while i realise there's more participation, of my daughter's, one isn't interested at all and my daughter who likes to go and watch, prefers other sports for participation, so allocates her time to them and doesn't play - gymnastics, netball, swimming are all before she'd play football. 

Yesterday was my first time I've watched professional women play up close. We were in pretty early, so I was watching the Chelsea players close up when they were warming up. Honestly, I saw nothing in the talent there that would suggest they'd be any better than a decent Saturday league player and then they'd have the physical disadvantages you talk about - in fact I was quite surprised just how poor their touch and passing was. They didn't improve once the real football started. 

The game is massively off the level of any male professional football and if I had to pick our U23 (or whatever it is now) or the women's team, based on that yesterday, I would choose the kids. I'm actually taking my daughter because before covid we used to go down to marine or AFC in Crosby and I gave her a choice of the 2. That yesterday wasn't at the level of College Road football. But she preferred watching the women. 

But despite all that, people are interested and as I saw in the crowd yesterday, not just women or men with their daughters (although there were plenty). If people can enjoy it and then take their mates along, the sport will grow. It's a cheap afternoon out - cheaper than going the cinema even. But any comparison to the men's premier League is nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think they have too many issues getting about a regulation sized pitch, but games I've seen can look very open from very early on. Men's games take at least an hour before getting to that point, if at all. The other thing is that the goalkeepers really struggle to get off the ground.

What I still don't understand is why the LFC women's team was allowed to flounder. While the team still don't train at the Axa (or previously Melwood) and still have to groundshare with Tranmere (they used to play in Warrington etc at some point too), they did go full-time pro about a decade ago, which gave them a distinct advantage over the other teams. The result was back to back league titles. Then it's as if the club gave up on the team, to the point where they got relegated in 2020.

28 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I don't think they have too many issues getting about a regulation sized pitch, but games I've seen can look very open from very early on. Men's games take at least an hour before getting to that point, if at all. The other thing is that the goalkeepers really struggle to get off the ground.

What I still don't understand is why the LFC women's team was allowed to flounder. While the team still don't train at the Axa (or previously Melwood) and still have to groundshare with Tranmere (they used to play in Warrington etc at some point too), they did go full-time pro about a decade ago, which gave them a distinct advantage over the other teams. The result was back to back league titles. Then it's as if the club gave up on the team, to the point where they got relegated in 2020.

I think up till recently there was an idea the women's team needed to be relatively financially self sufficient. Other side's decided investing in the teams, was also an investment in the sport and have tried to ride on the back of the growth of the sport. Supposedly it took the criticism after relegation to change FSGs attitude to it. I have only been told this by someone who has a passing interest and I've never paid attention, so it might be shite. But it was the history of it I was told. 

They were handing out stickers to the kids celebrating 10 years yesterday, so I assume that is 10 years of LFC women's. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think up till recently there was an idea the women's team needed to be relatively financially self sufficient. Other side's decided investing in the teams, was also an investment in the sport and have tried to ride on the back of the growth of the sport. Supposedly it took the criticism after relegation to change FSGs attitude to it. I have only been told this by someone who has a passing interest and I've never paid attention, so it might be shite. But it was the history of it I was told. 

They were handing out stickers to the kids celebrating 10 years yesterday, so I assume that is 10 years of LFC women's. 

The women's team cannot get the type of sponsors the men's team can so this is one of their main attempts,by piggy backing on the male team and their sponsors. In the past they've been either scrooge like or half hearted. When I was there they went from using the same coaches as the men as the team bus to a team bus consisting of a large van.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The women's team cannot get the type of sponsors the men's team can so this is one of their main attempts,by piggy backing on the male team and their sponsors. In the past they've been either scrooge like or half hearted. When I was there they went from using the same coaches as the men as the team bus to a team bus consisting of a large van.

They had the proper coaches in the car park yesterday. Although because it's Tranmere it's the same car park as the spectators use! 

I wondered in terms of stadium if it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment to build a small 12k stadium the women and u23s could share..you'd probably get a sponsor who would share a lot of the costs. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had to get an ST there this season to take my daughter. I wondered if the ref did it to keep me awake. The 1st Liverpool pen was reasonably clear cut. The Chelsea one, it hadn't crossed my mind it was a pen, although maybe I wasn't paying attention. The 2nd Liverpool one from my angle looked pretty clear cut, but apparently the defender got the ball, but it looked like she went through the attacker first to me if she did. 

I had to laugh at the Chelsea defender protesting about the handball, after she'd been waving her arms about like she was advertising used cars.

inflatable-tube-man-air-dancer.gif

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They had the proper coaches in the car park yesterday. Although because it's Tranmere it's the same car park as the spectators use! 

I wondered in terms of stadium if it wouldn't be a worthwhile investment to build a small 12k stadium the women and u23s could share..you'd probably get a sponsor who would share a lot of the costs. 

I've often thought that myself. I imagine there's plenty of room at the Kirkby site for a small, shared stadium.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

They put a bit of money into the ladies after I left. I left a short time after my mate who was the manager and got them promotion. Ironically he left because they wouldnt cough up any money to pay him,or the players a bit extra for playing in the WPL. They did eventually cough up with some cash a season or two later though under a different regime.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I watched the highlights after MOTD2 last night and seeing how bitter that Chelsea cunt manager was cheered me up no end. 

(Incidentally, I want some of whatever that lot in the studio were smoking: that Kerr effort was clearly offside.)

22 hours ago, sir roger said:

Hopefully it will quieten that garrulous Emma Hayes.

All three goals being pennos is odd.

18 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Fucking hate Emma Hayes, no fan of Fran Kirby either, female Messi my arse.

Agree 100% with all of that. 

Vile, self entitled, up her own arse, vacuous cunt with a voice that could drive you to murder. 

The way she acted in the media when linked with the Reading mens job sums her up perfectly. 

Saw her once described as ‘the female John Terry with less ability, more needle and a bigger ego’. 

Horrible cunt. 

• Upvote 2