You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bus travel

7 hours ago, halewood pete said:

Do you thank the driver when you get off the bus or is it a generation thing? I'm 62 now and always do it because when I was a kid my mum always did.

I always say 'cheers'.

One thing that bugs me is when people say 'Thanks driver' (might just be an Edinburgh thing). I often wonder if they say 'Thanks bakerman' as they leave Greggs or 'Ta gardener' if someone cuts their grass.

8 hours ago, halewood pete said:

Do you thank the driver when you get off the bus or is it a generation thing? I'm 62 now and always do it because when I was a kid my mum always did.

I do but people in London don’t generally. 

29 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

“Ta mate” or “Cheers fella” and then feel like a twat after realising it’s a lady driver with a short haircut. 

Or Ta love and realising it’s a man , always say ta/ cheers mate though can’t say keep the ticket these days to the conductor 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I always say 'cheers'.

One thing that bugs me is when people say 'Thanks driver' (might just be an Edinburgh thing). I often wonder if they say 'Thanks bakerman' as they leave Greggs or 'Ta gardener' if someone cuts their grass.

‘Cheers drive’ is a famous Bristolian saying. 

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

“Ta mate” or “Cheers fella” and then feel like a twat after realising it’s a lady driver with a short haircut. 

At which point you make up for it by saying "Sorry, you drove so well I thought you were a man. Well done." 

She'll be beaming with pride after that.

Guest Pistonbroke

It's just common courtesy. Bendy buses here and you disembark in the middle, so I just acknowledge the driver with a raised arm as they always check their rear view mirror to see everyone is getting off. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Because it's the driver's fault if they're late?

Immaterial, isn't it. I apologise if I'm late to something, but I've never had a driver apologise to me for being late. Courtesy goes both ways.

Mind you, I have more trouble with buses being early. They love that shit here.

Of course.

Never had a driving lesson in my life & always got the bus to work for over 30 years.

Used to love watching drivers getting stressed up out of the windows while I was reading the paper.

Went downhill a bit after mobile phones appeared as the journeys started to get ruined by lads boring mates at the top of their voice about being on a  'mad one ' at the weekend, or girls threatening to batter a bitch who had 'dissed' them.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Immaterial, isn't it. I apologise if I'm late to something, but I've never had a driver apologise to me for being late. Courtesy goes both ways.

Mind you, I have more trouble with buses being early. They love that shit here.

Manners cost nothing. 

It actually means a lot to the drivers, at least where I drive the bus. 

Bit of a break from the endless stupid questions.

Do you go downtown? (Sign on bus says 55 DOWNTOWN)

Do you know when the 17 is coming?(Driving a 14) No, how would I? But attached to the bus stop is a FUCKING TIMETABLE with the time

the 17 is scheduled to arrive. 

And the paranoid loons on meth, fare evaders, people sleeping on the bus, mental health issues people (the lady with a few issues including I assume Tourette’s is probably the worst  - she must have the racist version of it.) 

I’ve had seat  pissers, meth loon attack the bus pulling a wiper off and smashing half the front door, had to swap out a bus that a man shat on- he just stood up, lifted the priority seat up and shat. Had two men in walkers get into a fight and were ramming their walkers like two billy goats. 

• Upvote 4