You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

Guest Alex_K

Elements of our 08/09 & 13/14 seasons in Spurs. Stylistically, a strong team with goals in them who look overly energetic/excitable in the crux (4 goals conceded in a game they mostly dominated -- sounds familiar). Domestically, there's the illusion of them being in the title race without ever having quite caught Chelsea's tail .. shades of ourselves/United in '09. Hope it ends differently for them -- but its doubtful.

yeah and to be fair, if Chelsea or Man City win anything noone gives a fuck because it's no achievement whatsoever

Don't be so daft. You've spent plenty yourselves, and whilst not on our scale, it's still well above most, so when you win stuff, let's not pretend all teams in the competition started off an an even keel.

Course some clubs are at an absolutely massive advantage - nobody can deny that, but don't kid yourselves it stops at Chelsea and City... it goes right through the leagues.

• Downvote 1

Don't be so daft. You've spent plenty yourselves, and whilst not on our scale, it's still well above most, so when you win stuff, let's not pretend all teams in the competition started off an an even keel.

Course some clubs are at an absolutely massive advantage - nobody can deny that, but don't kid yourselves it stops at Chelsea and City... it goes right through the leagues.

Stop chatting shit.

City spend a fucking boat load of cash and offer ridiculous wages.

Elements of our 08/09 & 13/14 seasons in Spurs. Stylistically, a strong team with goals in them who look overly energetic/excitable in the crux (4 goals conceded in a game they mostly dominated -- sounds familiar). Domestically, there's the illusion of them being in the title race without ever having quite caught Chelsea's tail .. shades of ourselves/United in '09. Hope it ends differently for them -- but its doubtful.

I think they're a good side to watch right now. Doing better than I expected at the start of the season, but the league doesn't lie - they've been damn good.

I have a slight feeling they won't be able to sustain it for next season, but you never know. If they can sustain it until they move into their new stadium, they could be a real force. Sadly I don't think they have enough money (or will) to stave of other clubs from cherry picking their players. If Real / Barca / Bayern come calling players will have their head turned and Levy will sell. And I suspect if other top PL clubs are willing to pay silly money, Levy will cash in anyway even if the players aren't as compelled to leave as they might be with the 3 giants.

Guest Alex_K

I think they're a good side to watch right now. Doing better than I expected at the start of the season, but the league doesn't lie - they've been damn good.

The league suggests they'll finish on around 82 - 84 points .. which is good, but almost always never good enough to win the trophy -- last year aside. I suspect this is as good as it gets for them -- if it prevents investment into the squad, which it almost certainly will, then the stadium move will be their undoing. Given the noises made by Pochettino, its also clear that he will be out should one of the big European sides come in for him.

That's where the Spurs masterplan of consistently playing shite in Europe comes in. Pochettino will end up with a good reputation​ in the Premier League and all the top European clubs will think he's just a bit overrated and probably couldn't get his style of play working without the physical nature of the game over here. Another masterstroke from Levy.

so you think that what i said is 'daft' and not the common consensus amongst football fans who do not support either highlighted side? regardless of team level they support?

nah. i repeat, when this happens, no one really gives a fuck. whether you agree, like it, or not. they see it as all a bit plastic. nothing personal.

this is purely anecdotal but a life long Chelsea fan i know also couldn't give a fuck now. he prefered it when it was more of a challenge. still follows them, of course, but the 'glory'. he can take or leave that. tells me he preferred away games at Walsall in the pissing rain and the gallows humour.

bizarre comment on the radio (5 live) when you beat us to the title at home to Villa was it?. 'it's all a bit subdued here at the Etihad, because they know the title is in the bag'. or words to that effect. compare and contrast how that would be at Anfield. it's largely expected.

The league suggests they'll finish on around 82 - 84 points .. which is good, but almost always never good enough to win the trophy -- last year aside. I suspect this is as good as it gets for them -- if it prevents investment into the squad, which it almost certainly will, then the stadium move will be their undoing. Given the noises made by Pochettino, its also clear that he will be out should one of the big European sides come in for him.

Well, there's the rub. If the stadium's going to generate money for investment, it could be good for them - but if it's going to line the pockets of investors, then it's another matter.

I would imagine though that even if the lion's share of improved stadium naming rights, matchday revenue and other sponsorships ends up elsewhere, some of it must go back into the squad surely?

Poch seems a smart bloke, if there's no significant spending money, he'll quit while he's on top.

City, Chelsea and United will spend silly money again (and at least one of them will manage to buy a couple of 'hits' rather than duds). It makes it very difficult for Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal to keep up, and just hoping they can have a very good year when all three of the others make a mess of it.

If Liverpool get CL though, and they're prepared to back Klopp with 3 major signings then that would shake the pack up a bit. I can't see Spurs or Arsenal spending like that, but Liverpool might - I think Liverpool's ambition is to win stuff, not just get top 4.

so you think that what i said is 'daft' and not the common consensus amongst football fans who do not support either highlighted side? regardless of team level they support?

nah. i repeat, when this happens, no one really gives a fuck. whether you agree, like it, or not. they see it as all a bit plastic. nothing personal.

this is purely anecdotal but a life long Chelsea fan i know also couldn't give a fuck now. he prefered it when it was more of a challenge. still follows them, of course, but the 'glory'. he can take or leave that. tells me he preferred away games at Walsall in the pissing rain and the gallows humour.

bizarre comment on the radio (5 live) when you beat us to the title at home to Villa was it?. 'it's all a bit subdued here at the Etihad, because they know the title is in the bag'. or words to that effect. compare and contrast how that would be at Anfield. it's largely expected.

I don't think 'most' other fans care who wins it when it's not their own club. The only time they might show interest is when it's a real rival they don't want to see winning, or an underdog they'd like to see do well. Once your club is out, it loses almost all appeal (imo).

My point was that of course, with all the money spent, you'd expect the likes of City and Chelsea to win it fairly frequently or at least do well in it. But at the same time, that's true of Liverpool and Arsenal, and United too... relative to the rest of the clubs in the competition, the big boys are always at a huge advantage. Arguably, the bigger clubs would win it even more often if they all took the competition more seriously.

A pretty common phrase these days is 'with the money you've spent, you should be winning these things' - and that's true, it SHOULD be massively favouring City and Chelsea... but it also favours other big spenders too - including Liverpool and United etc. Of course City are at the top of the spending stakes - can't deny it. I'm just arguing that others are pretty high up the spending pyramid too and can't pretend there's no advantage over those lower down.

I know a few City fans who'll say 'I preferred it when...' but I think it's melancholy talking.

Money's always influenced the game, but since the PL and CL started it's become more and more obvious. It used to be swayed by the wealth of a local millionaire, but now it's swayed by the wealth of global billionaires and investment groups.

Absolutely the romance of the game is faded in my opinion, but I honestly don't think City and Chelsea are a cause - I think they're a symptom. We set up a highly commercial league that sought to attract money - and that's precisely what it did. It's just that some of the money ended up in unlikely places that few could have foreseen instead of what was hoped for - right into the pockets of the already established elite.

Let's be honest here, City is now a business. Liverpool is a business. United is a business. All any of the clubs really care about is how to extract the most money from the 'brand' and from the fans. It's little wonder that winning things doesn't feel as good as it used to.

That Ramirez booking was never a dive, either.  In slow motion, you can see his right ankle turns awkwardly (as he's trying to get away from the defender) his momentum carries him forward, but next time he puts his right foot down, he hits the deck.  No foul, no dive, just a fall.

Conte bitching and moaning about spurs having an extra days rest before midweek league games coming up...don't recall him moaning when his side had the best of the schedule over christmas - getting days extra rest than their rivals right across the period.

Fanchester you are a good poster and you post a lot of sense but you need to realise that Arsenal Liverpool Spurs and Manchester United generate a lot of cash as businesses which allows them to spend a lot of cash. Your lot and Chelsea benefit from the owner pumping his own money into the clubs which is seen by others as "buying" titles.

You say that all clubs buy trophies but City's and Chelsea's seem a bit plastic.