You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

We need to get out of our heads trying to justify shite signings such as Shane long. Even if we signed him on a free he's not good enough. Don't buy shit players, whether for 6 months or not. It's that simple

I admire peoples ability to pretend the last 20 years didn't happen.

• Upvote 1

Let's just get Davy Klaassen or Viktor Fischer.

Decent players but I think Bazoer is the most promising talent in the Eredivisie even though he's still quite raw.

That said, I can't remember the league being in as bad a state as it right now. Guardado has probably been the league's best player over the last 12 months and he was pretty average in Spain. People here were even comparing Depay to Ronaldo last summer, and I remember saying he was closer to Babel than Ronaldo. I think there are much better pools of talent atm than the Dutch league. The Portuguese league in particular seems to possess a few gems right now.

Caulker, Long and Mignolet extension kinell.

I highly doubt we are interested in Long but with our track record of coprophagia you can never rule any mental stuff out.

Thread from a Southampton forum from last month.

Sell Long in January to reinvest? Wonder if we might be looking behind the scenes to offload Long if that gives us some room to bring in someone the Manager actually rates and who suits the team better? Long probably wants regular football (in his preferred position) ahead of the Euros and he won't get that here. He is also the most dispensable player who is still worth something, although his value will start to drop substantially the older he gets and less he plays so makes sense to cash in now. If we could get something like £6m from either a lower half PL side (Sunderland?) or a Championship promotion hopeful then we could reinvest. Long still a strange signing for me. Hasn't done any worse than at his other clubs but just doesnt seem to suit our style and his lack of a first touch almost renders him useless out wide which is why he is rarely used there now. For the price I think its one that the Club probably regrets as could have found someone better at those figures. Considering the above and also his sizeable wages (which could make him hard to shift) I wouldn't be bothered if we sorted something out that gave us room to try something different

Caulker, Long and Mignolet extension kinell.

I highly doubt we are interested in Long but with our track record of coprophagia you can never rule any mental stuff out.

Thread from a Southampton forum from last month.

Sell Long in January to reinvest? Wonder if we might be looking behind the scenes to offload Long if that gives us some room to bring in someone the Manager actually rates and who suits the team better? Long probably wants regular football (in his preferred position) ahead of the Euros and he won't get that here. He is also the most dispensable player who is still worth something, although his value will start to drop substantially the older he gets and less he plays so makes sense to cash in now. If we could get something like £6m from either a lower half PL side (Sunderland?) or a Championship promotion hopeful then we could reinvest. Long still a strange signing for me. Hasn't done any worse than at his other clubs but just doesnt seem to suit our style and his lack of a first touch almost renders him useless out wide which is why he is rarely used there now. For the price I think its one that the Club probably regrets as could have found someone better at those figures. Considering the above and also his sizeable wages (which could make him hard to shift) I wouldn't be bothered if we sorted something out that gave us room to try something different

Makes him sound like a Rodgers wet dream.

What paper was it in? I seen the Indo referencing the Sun in theirs so that would lead me to believe it's a load of shite.

Also, just because Dolan works for a paper doesn't mean it came from him. From personal experience it doesn't really work like that.

I'm not saying it (necessarily) works like that. But it's odd that the story originated in the newspaper that Long's agent happens to write for (Irish edition of the Star).

I think there is a world of difference from a 23 year old who has room for improvement to a 28/29 year old average squad player.

Better news is that West Ham might pay £10 million for Balotelli this January.

Now we can use the logic of Long for Balotelli ..... plus 2 million.

Decent players but I think Bazoer is the most promising talent in the Eredivisie even though he's still quite raw.

That said, I can't remember the league being in as bad a state as it right now. Guardado has probably been the league's best player over the last 12 months and he was pretty average in Spain. People here were even comparing Depay to Ronaldo last summer, and I remember saying he was closer to Babel than Ronaldo. I think there are much better pools of talent atm than the Dutch league. The Portuguese league in particular seems to possess a few gems right now.

I think someone is going to get a huge bargain with Hakim Ziyech from Twente.

I'd even be in favour of us going and getting him if we didn't already have a huge backlog of players at that position.  If we were to lose Coutinho, say, I'd be happy to see us pick up Ziyech to cover that position (perhaps not quite as good, but more consistent) and then spend the rest of the money on a big-money wide forward who can score like Gotze.

Ziyech will probably end up going to Southampton for 8m and then be picked up by one of the big clubs for 25m a year later.  11 league goals already this season, 13 last season.  21 league assists in that period as well.

I think someone is going to get a huge bargain with Hakim Ziyech from Twente.

I'd even be in favour of us going and getting him if we didn't already have a huge backlog of players at that position. If we were to lose Coutinho, say, I'd be happy to see us pick up Ziyech to cover that position (perhaps not quite as good, but more consistent) and then spend the rest of the money on a big-money wide forward who can score like Gotze.

Ziyech will probably end up going to Southampton for 8m and then be picked up by one of the big clubs for 25m a year later. 11 league goals already this season, 13 last season. 21 league assists in that period as well.

Personally I've never heard of this fella but looking at his stats and looking at his clips he does look quality.

I think clubs will see what Mahrez has done who at first review looks similar to Ziyech and hope to find their own player like that.

I think theirs always been a lot of very talented North African (origin at least) players but no one has ever taken a punt.

Look at how Wijnaldum and Tadic have done as well and I'd rather us be spending £12m on someone like Ziyech than Shane Long

British, check, had one good season in the top flight, check. likely to be overpriced, check.

It's on folks.

Except for the fact he's 29 and we seemingly don't sign any older players unless they are free so that we can pay them huge wages while everyone at the club tries to convince themselves they've picked up a bargain. 

That said, it would be such a stupid move you would never put it past our lot. 

• Upvote 2