You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

24th August 2015 - Away to Arsenal

WhiskeyJar

We put a fuck load of effort into the first half so it was no surprise we dropped off in the second. But I can't fault the eleven who started. Not sure about bringing Rossiter on in a game like that, but Ibe was a natural substitution but he was poor when he came on.

A draw was a fair result. Just surprising it was a nil-nil draw.

We should have been out of sight in the first half, Gomez was brilliant as was Cout, I though Benteke was excellent again. Good grind in the end. Moreno had a chance right at the end if he could have released. Yes Ibe was shite when he came on, but it was a fast game he seemed to be on his heels and never got upto speed did he.

Most I can remember enjoying a game - and most I've cared about one, too - since we finished second.

Excellent first half, dogged battling second.

Massive hats off to Joe Gomez, absolutely sensational.

Benteke brilliant first half, decent second til he was obviously knackered after 65 mins.

Firmino looked nice in places, but worked hard.

Milner, Can and Lucas dominated midfield first half and kept going second. Thought Milner was fantastic.

Clyne a proper full back. Barely let anything past him really, coped really well.

Lovren, Skrtel and Mig solid and put it on the line when needed.

I know we were massively outplayed second half, but that was a terrific performance and it's made me really happy to have enjoyed and cared about a game so much. Maybe my passion for it isn't dead after all.

On balance a draw was fair, but I felt we had the better chances and a lot of theirs were scrappy.

Gomez man of the match, after than Milner then a toss up between Benteke and Skrtel. Skrtel edging it because the backs to the wall defending is a more lasting impression than the fantastic first half play.

Well played reds.

• Upvote 1

Lucas a lot better in the second half, he got his foot in a few times and actually got involved in the game before he tired.  Rossiter coming on actually made us a little bit more difficult to get at through the middle.  We played too deep in the second half, and invited them on to us.  Ibe had a mare - kept giving the ball away, and though he wasn't the only one to do that, his lack of effort in chasing back and closing down was really disappointing.  Can and Milner both put in a fantastic shift.  Full backs were great, Skrtel and Lovren both did well, Mignolet impressive, Benteke was very good again, Coutinho was busy and while both of them should have scored in the first half, the overall team performance was really encouraging.  Firminio getting minutes on the pitch is good - he looks like the sort of player who can play around others - a clever player.  Overall, very happy with that performance.  Another clean sheet too.  

Good result. Was impressed with Milner, Clyne and Gomez, who looks like he's going to develop into a quality CB and probably sooner rather than later too.

Ibe was disappointing, Firmino should have stayed on or thrown Ings on. Ibe looks like he's feeling the pressure a bit and nothing is coming off for him. He'll get over it though. I think we should look to brining Markovic back into the match day squad as well. Think he'd do much better with two solid full-backs behind him.

Fuck me I've no nails left. Well played Rodgers, I didn't think we had the players to play like that but he done it and took a hard fought point at the emirates. A really good result for us.

I don't mind playing like Stoke away to the big clubs, Mourinho does it to much acclaim. It's brutal to watch but who the fuck cares, the result is all that matters.

Go out next week and take the three points against West Ham & we've had a fucking fantastic start to the season.

Brutal to watch as in not nice on the eye, or because it was nerve shredding?

If the latter, fair enough. If the former you deserve to go in the shitness of modern football thread. That was proper football, played at pace and with bite.

If that was stoke, you've been watching too much barca.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. He is giving Henderson a run for his money. Looks very much a leader too.

I didn't give Henderson a second thought during that match, Not having ago at him but I really don't think he would have added anything tonight, In fact the balance looked better with Lucas in