You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Been superb at times this season,but also has some obvious off days. We haven't learned anything we don't know about him against a pitiful Swansea team.

He's always been inconsistent that way.

But as time goes on we are seeing more and more of the superb days and less of the off days, he's improving all the time and still hasn't peaked. Gonna be a very important player next year I reckon.

He's always been inconsistent that way.

But as time goes on we are seeing more and more of the superb days and less of the off days, he's improving all the time and still hasn't peaked. Gonna be a very important player next year I reckon.

You could probably attribute some of his,and the teams,to the manager not using him the correct way. Eg,West Brom were always going to be difficult to break down and Firmino dropping off helps these kind of teams so its others jobs to get beyond him and create those chances. If Klopp is going to have Firmino as our 'number 9' then others have to take responsibility when teams play with 10 behind the ball. To be fair the signing of AOC and the return of Lallana should help this and an all firing Mane too.

Earlier this month, it was revealed that Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino had missed out on a cool £45,000 by allowing Sadio Mane’s chip to trickle over the line against Stoke City.

Had the Brazil international poked the ball home, he would have been quids in.

Instead, he allowed Mane to score and was widely praised by Liverpool fans for his selfless act.

However, it seems karma has repaid Firmino for his generosity.

Since the Reds’ 3-0 victory over Stoke, the 26-year-old has netted seven goals in seven appearances.

Firmino, who has been in fine form this season, bagged his 15th and 16th goals of the campaign in Liverpool’s emphatic 5-0 victory over Swansea City on Boxing Day.

690.jpg

Firmino netted Liverpool’s second and fourth goals of the evening, helping his employers stay fourth in the Premier League table.

And not only did he boost his goals tally for the season with his brace; he also significantly boosted his bank balance.

We all know the ins and outs of Firmino’s contract thanks to Football Leaks: The Dirty Business of Football.

It was revealed that the South American earns a basic wage of £68,085-a-week, although he can make an additional £1.1 million in bonuses depending on the number of goals he scores.

CzUjjBUXEAAa7UX.jpg

Per the Mirror, Firmino earned £25,000 for each of his first five goals, £45,000 between six and 10 and £65,000 from 11 onwards.

He will also receive a whopping £85,000 from 16 goals onwards - and this was the goal bonus he activated against the Swans, per South American football writer Rupert Fryer.

No wonder he had such a huge smile on his face when he was subbed off in the 68th minute.

Few Liverpool fans would argue that Firmino doesn’t deserve his bonus - if only for that selfless act against the Potters alone.

An increasing number of the Anfield faithful believe Firmino has now cemented his status as the club’s most important player - because of the team’s style of play under Jurgen Klopp - and you can certainly understand that point of view.

Now he has scored 15, we are paying him 85k per goal?

Damn.

I hadn't seen that leak of the contract anywhere before. Possibly explains why he is shooting so much but sometimes he's doing it when a pass may be better. But if I was earning up to £85,000 a goal I would be doing the same thing.

The club will know and understand the positives and negatives of giving these type of incentives. Firmino doesn’t really strike me as the sort of guy whose thinking about those type of things while he’s on the pitch though. He wants the win. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed to such a selfless striker playing for us.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Its not the best way to incentivise players as they may take shots to the detriment of the team when a better option is available, unless you get the same money for each assist, and even then it still has its flaws

The fairest way is to have the whole team benefiting from goals and clean sheets, plus a modest amount of money, they earn enough as it is. In fact it would be a lovely touch if bonuses were handed to charities of the players choice. 

To be fair Firmino is probably the least self interested player I’ve ever seen, he always passes if there is an option to and he rarely takes a pot shot from distance. Particularly impressive given the terms of his contract.

He probably realises that if he sets people up, they will set him up also so evens it's self up. Apart from the derby game.

The fairest way is to have the whole team benefiting from goals and clean sheets, plus a modest amount of money, they earn enough as it is. In fact it would be a lovely touch if bonuses were handed to charities of the players choice. 

What we have done is to 'lower' their basic and then really bump up their bonuses to incentivise them to play better, I am happy with that in theory, but it is difficult to get those bonuses right.

Firmino is doing well and playing with a big smile, so I’d say the bonus structure is working well for him. And us, obviously.

I like the concept of lower guaranteed pay and incentivized deals, but as Woolster suggests, it’s tricky to get right. Fine when it is going well, but what if it isn’t going so well?

Just speculating, but let’s imagine Mane is on a similar deal, Mo too for that matter. Mo has been shooting the lights out and has a big smile on his face too. But what about Mane?

Most observers know he’s a smashing player, but so far this season he hasn’t really been at his best. He’s had a couple of niggly injuries and has struggled to kick into top gear on the pitch. The goals aren’t quite flowing for him in the same way, and there are signs that Klopp is holding him back a bit by not playing him as much as the others, possibly with a view to using him a bit more in games to come as one or two of the others need a rest.

Meanwhile, they are making £££ as the goals are flowing, while Mane kicks his heels on the bench and grows a bit frustrated? Not trying to cause mischief, but this sort of scenario is very plausible if the salaries are heavily incentivized.

PS - not saying altruism is completely dead, but I’d love our players to be on, say, a 10% bonus that is achievement/results based and to donate it to charity. So much of the negative perception around footballers and finances could be turned on it’s head, and so much good could be done. It would also be a point of pride for the fans as it would be seen as a tangible way of doing something really good given the wi dfall and crazy world of football finances.

• Upvote 1