You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Just now, chevettehs said:

Sorry, I have this weird obsession with wanting my car to stop and go around corners no matter what the conditions are.

A commendable attitude for the average petrol head.  For us plebs, we can't organise such a luxury for the two days of the year they are required for. 

One thing that does baffle me, is the 'bafflement' expressed about Brexit by a lot of Europeans. I saw a piece the other day about how the French can't get their head around it. The French, who've recently been smashing up their own capital for the same reason a lot of people voted Brexit. And don't talk about independence if you're in Catalonia either, lest some federale turn your pregnant wife into a pinata.  

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

One thing that does baffle me, is the 'bafflement' expressed about Brexit by a lot of Europeans. I saw a piece the other day about how the French can't get their head around it. The French, who've recently been smashing up their own capital for the same reason a lot of people voted Brexit. And don't talk about independence if you're in Catalonia either, lest some federale turn your pregnant wife into a pinata.  

Centrists just can't see anything beyond their blinkers. 

The bloke suspected of attacking Sean Cox is being extradited to the UK, having been picked up under a European Arrest Warrant.

Presumably, something like this wouldn't be possible in the absence of a post-Brexit agreement.

I don't recall seeing "Europeans will be more able to rob and assault us with impunity" on the side of a bus.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:19 PM, Section_31 said:

It's because most of Europe was smashed to pieces and ruled by genocidal Nazis still within living memory.

The EU is seen as one of the key institutions that has kept the peace for the last 75 years and also helped to create the richest and most prosperous continent the world has ever seen.

Not really surprising that they think any country that wants to exit has taken leave of its senses

25 minutes ago, skend04 said:

If only somebody could have forseen this

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

It's because most of Europe was smashed to pieces and ruled by genocidal Nazis still within living memory.

The EU is seen as one of the key institutions that has kept the peace for the last 75 years and also helped to create the richest and most prosperous continent the world has ever seen.

Not really surprising that they think any country that wants to exit has taken leave of its senses

If only somebody could have forseen this

While they themselves instead channel the same feelings as many Brexit voters, but instead by smashing up their own gaff in the likes of Athens and Paris, getting twatted by coppers and having their leaders arrested in Catalonia, or elect far right and/or populist cunts. As I say, not exactly bonkers what we've done as a nation when given the chance to give the status quo a kick in the bollocks, most other European countries and the Unted States have done so in their own way.

24 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Yep. There were reportedly, loud cheers across the lines when the results came through. 

Oh well.

I'd be wary of any company that suddenly starts to pin unpopular decisions on Brexit.

I know people who work at jaguar for example who've been saying for years staff were being brought in from China and India to learn the ropes. In their case though, it wouldn't be politic to pull two iconic British brands out of the mainland, so what better way of doing so than by using Brexit as an excuse. 

Vauxhall has also been on its arse for years.

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

While they themselves instead channel the same feelings as many Brexit voters, but instead by smashing up their own gaff in the likes of Athens and Paris, getting twatted by coppers and having their leaders arrested in Catalonia, or elect far right and/or populist cunts. As I say, not exactly bonkers what we've done as a nation when given the chance to give the status quo a kick in the bollocks, most other European countries and the Unted States have done so in their own way.

The Greeks and the Catalans and the French all want to stay in the EU, though. After the riots and unrest they still enjoy the stability and protection and can move on.

We'll be on our arse governed by the Tories with the vultures circling... do you think we'll do better or worse?

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'd be wary of any company that suddenly starts to pin unpopular decisions on Brexit.

I know people who work at jaguar for example who've been saying for years staff were being brought in from China and India to learn the ropes. In their case though, it wouldn't be politic to pull two iconic British brands out of the mainland, so what better way of doing so than by using Brexit as an excuse. 

Vauxhall has also been on its arse for years.

I had a letter the other day saying my car insurance company was moving to Luxembourg. At first glance I assumed it was a brexit thing, then I realised its more likely to be a tax dodging thing. 

8 hours ago, mattyq said:

The trouble is, WWII isn’t really in living memory any more. The generation who lived through it knew that the move towards European unity - based on equal freedoms, respect for human rights, prosperity and respect for mutually agreed laws - was the surest way to prevent wars between Member States.  It worked so well that a generation grew up with no real experience or knowledge of war. The political and business leaders of that generation saw the EU as nothing but a means to enrich themselves and their class. Those leaders sealed themselves so effectively in their bubble that most of them were - are - unable to understand the impacts of the decisions they take or the inevitable resentment it provokes.

Unfortunately, the most cynical of them can not only recognise that resentment, but have also found a way to turn it to their advantage. 

4 hours ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/02/labour-slumps-in-polls-as-tories-open-biggest-lead-since-general-election

7 point lead.

For the Tories.

Maybe Labour should try something different than just doing nothing and hoping the proles will get fed up of the Tories.

Maybe it just proves that people are fucking cunts!

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Maybe it just proves that people are fucking cunts!

Or that one poll doesn't mean much.

Or that the relentless smearing of the Labour leadership and misrepresentation of their policy positions is effective between elections - although, as 2017 demonstrated, things can change dramatically in a campaign, when people get to see the real-life versions of the leading politicians, rather than the media fictions.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Or that one poll doesn't mean much.

Or that the relentless smearing of the Labour leadership and misrepresentation of their policy positions is effective between elections - although, as 2017 demonstrated, things can change dramatically in a campaign, when people get to see the real-life versions of the leading politicians, rather than the media fictions.

I'd like to think so mate.

8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The trouble is, WWII isn’t really in living memory any more. The generation who lived through it knew that the move towards European unity - based on equal freedoms, respect for human rights, prosperity and respect for mutually agreed laws - was the surest way to prevent wars between Member States.  It worked so well that a generation grew up with no real experience or knowledge of war. The political and business leaders of that generation saw the EU as nothing but a means to enrich themselves and their class. Those leaders sealed themselves so effectively in their bubble that most of them were - are - unable to understand the impacts of the decisions they take or the inevitable resentment it provokes.

Unfortunately, the most cynical of them can not only recognise that resentment, but have also found a way to turn it to their advantage. 

There are still people who grew up in re 50's and 60's who feel the war though. You can't ignore that aspect. 

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

There are still people who grew up in re 50's and 60's who feel the war though. You can't ignore that aspect. 

18% of the population are over 65. Their parents - about 2.5% of the population - experienced the war; they didn't. 

There's a powerful "Two World Wars and one World Cup" element to the country's collective psyche, but precious little recognition of how terrible war is, why it must be avoided and how important the EU has been in preserving peace.