You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

Many of our fans are saying we’d be mad not to look at Klopp, and even more are flat out saying we need to punt Rodgers now and get Klopp in.

But can Klopps career so far be seen somewhat as a mirror of Rodgers at Liverpool?  In the simplest terms of course. 

I know sod all about Klopp other than he has done very well in the past winning a few league titles and getting to the CL final.  Fantastic achievements.  But now it’s gone horribly wrong.  Yes, he’s in a cup final (he got there on penalties so does that count?), but the league has been a disaster with the club in the relegation zone for lots of the season and now battling for a top 8 finish.  CL football is well gone.  I hear this is because of injuries and losing important players.  But is that not exactly what’s happened to Rodgers this season?

But for an unlucky slip there is a very good chance we would be the current league champions.  That would have put Rodgers on a par with Klopp with the Rodgers league title arguably more of a feat than the Klopp league titles. 

So were these excellent players that Klopp had to win his titles, players that Klopp bought or did he inherit them? 

If he did inherit them, then has he bought poorly when trying to replace them?

These are genuine questions by the way, as he may very well have bought the really good players that have left for bigger teams.  I’m just asking questions.

By the way, before anyone starts quoting Rodgers record or saying we shouldn’t just stick with Rodgers, this isn’t a keep Rodgers thread (although I would give him one more season) this is one looking at the name that has come up most of all as a possible replacement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The question is did he inherit brilliant players and then fuck up badly replacing them.  Why has it gone so wrong?  And is it something that needs to be considered.

It's the last few seasons that I'm asking about.  Houllier won league titles before joining us.  So did Rafa.

Answering "No" is the equivalent of signing Mario Balotelli.

• Upvote 1

Make an effort? Make a fucking effort?

You're asking people if Klopp is another Rodgers. 

Is Aguero another Lambert?

Is bacon another lettuce?

Is being sucked off by Kelly Brook another Ebola?

*I'm not really comparing Rodgers to Ebola here*

Ask a stupid question...

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

I'm not really sold on Klopp, seems to have gone from one extreme to the other. We need a proven long term operator, a steady hand. I'd not be averse to us taking a punt on him at this stage though.

Rodgers was thoroughly unproven though, no big club experience and never won a trophy. As gambles go it was Vegas odds. 

• Upvote 1

I'm negging the two numpties Xeres & Jairzinho while they continue to ignore the main question like a pair of politicians.  The main question being whether or not he was given really good players and then has been a disaster when trying to replace them.  That is a massive factor if you are going to become the next Liverpool factor.  Head in the sand and the infamous "Anyone can do better" is not what we need.

He won titles.  That proves he can do that part of the job.  That’s fine if he wants to take over at Man City or Chelsea as he’ll be handing billions.  If he’s coming to us, then he needs to show he can sign talent.  Has he shown that?  Or has he been the last thing we need – i.e. another manager who wastes money.

• Upvote 2

The question is did he inherit brilliant players and then fuck up badly replacing them.  Why has it gone so wrong?  And is it something that needs to be considered.

It's the last few seasons that I'm asking about.  Houllier won league titles before joining us.  So did Rafa.

Answering "No" is the equivalent of signing Mario Balotelli.

no he didnt fuck up  badly  the club sold alot of the quality players and didnt make the money  available for him to replace them  

The difference between the two is essentially this:

Rodgers gets into them after they appear on Jools Holland, Klopp liked them before they'd even ever played their first gig, and in some cases, before they'd even formed.

Except doesn't Klopp just speak to Michael Zorc and find out who he likes and then listens to their albums?

Genuinely don't know the set-up at Dortmund.

Sorry I can't quote on my work PC for some reason -

andyj Said "no he didnt fuck up  badly  the club sold alot of the quality players and didnt make the money  available for him to replace them"

This is being discussed on the MF also, and there are a few people there who are quoting a whole list of players that have been signed by him and been very poor.  So what's the truth?  What you are saying or what they are saying?

This is being discussed on the MF also, and there are a few people there who are quoting a whole list of players that have been signed by him and been very poor.  So what's the truth?  What you are saying or what they are saying?

The truth is that every manager buys lemons. But, while trying to bridge a financial chasm between us and the teams above us, we can't afford to. Hence the misfits are highlighted badly while a club like City's aren't. And they have bought spectacularly poorly.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I can't quote on my work PC for some reason -

andyj Said "no he didnt fuck up  badly  the club sold alot of the quality players and didnt make the money  available for him to replace them"

my understanding of it was the club was in huge debt  and sold the backbone of the team and were unable to give klopp the money  to replace what he lost  but when they got out of the hole they was in they carried on selling the players

im not a great follower of german football so i might not be totally correct  but i remember reading klopp almost left the club over it a couple of seasons ago  

is he better than rodgers? yeah  i think so he has a better pedigree and can  change a teams formation if he needs a plan B  he plays players in there right position and plays to there strengths

rodgers in many ways has been found out other teams know exactly how will we set out against them yet he dont seem to have an answer  ive been saying for years that all we ever do is paper over the cracks but selling suarez has proved 1 crack to much to cover up  

• Upvote 1

I think the man asks a fair enough question.

We're almost universally saying appoint a man who flirted with relegation from the Bundesliga for a while this year. Yeah, he's won two Bundesligas but how strong is that league?

Mourinho couldn't win the CL with Chelsea or Real Madrid.

He came third in the league last year, and got to the fifth round of the FA Cup and League Cup.

This is easy.