You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

chelsea league cup semi final first leg thread

Paco

With a full strength team, I could see us getting a draw or even sneaking a win.

But I am expecting Rodgers to focus more on the league or Europa for the CL slot next season thus rotating quite a bit. I don't think I will be expecting much or anything from this.

A certain degree of negativity on this thread but it's understanable given the draw esp. with us playing away in the second leg. Sometimes playing Chelsea feels like playing against a wall of money. I just hope that regardless of the results over these two legs and against Bolton we don't lose the momentum we've been building recently.

Tatically it's difficult to know how to approach this one should we stick with the 3-4-3 that has been getting reasonable results or try and beef-up defensively?

Given their huge physical size it may be difficult to not select with that in mind which is why I wouldn't be suprised if we see Balotelli up front (regardless of his poor form and lack of tactical nous) and Can put into the midfield alongside Henderson and Lucas. With Gerrard to try and sit on Matic for at least the first half.

Read Maureen's comments in the Mirror yesterday.  "Gerrard, tried to sign him, good red, blah blah, Luis Garcia, goal that never was."  I love that it still burns him so, I hope we twat them 4-0 and every single one of them bounces down off the crossbar and back out.  Horrible fucking flange that he is.

• Upvote 3

Read Maureen's comments in the Mirror yesterday.  "Gerrard, tried to sign him, good red, blah blah, Luis Garcia, goal that never was."  I love that it still burns him so, I hope we twat them 4-0 and every single one of them bounces down off the crossbar and back out.  Horrible fucking flange that he is.

Why does nobody ever say to him that Cech would have been sent off, we'd have a penalty and they'd have to play 85 minutes with ten men and no world class goalkeeper?

Oh I know, because he's the new Ferguson and we can't question his line of reasoning.  The fucking quilt.

It's the Liverpool way to beat our rivals in the fixtures no one will care about in a month or two, we've done that a lot in poor seasons in the past and I expect the same from this semi final.

On morinhos comments I don't know if he is showing a bit of class for once or highlighting the song he knows will get sung to get in Gerard's head, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Beating Chelsea's always nice but I'm still waitin for the big fixture where we can really hurt them and get some revenge for last season.

It's the Liverpool way to beat our rivals in the fixtures no one will care about in a month or two, we've done that a lot in poor seasons in the past and I expect the same from this semi final.

On morinhos comments I don't know if he is showing a bit of class for once or highlighting the song he knows will get sung to get in Gerard's head, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Beating Chelsea's always nice but I'm still waitin for the big fixture where we can really hurt them and get some revenge for last season.

I'll happily settle for this fixture

They have got City after the return leg haven't they? I expect he will want to get it over and done with tonight so he can field a weakened team in the 2nd leg in preparation for City. Saying that Chelsea's second string aren't bad. Think we will get a draw tonight and hope he does play a weak team in the return leg which we win 1-0