You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tesco responds after shopper burns bum on toilet wipes

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/real-life/tesco-responds-after-shopper-burns-7363470

Tesco has been forced to clarify its packaging after a shopper burnt his bum while using some of its wet wipes. Leon Gleed moaned: "I've come through the worst of it now - I had to use Sudocrem down there for a week."

Leon shared his story of using Tesco's Active Flushable Toilet Wipes, which are anti bacterial toilet cleaner wipes. The lorry driver thought they were toilet paper wipes after his girlfriend bought them.

He developed a nasty rash after a few days of using them. He said: "I thought the product was wet wipes you use to go to the toilet with - but as it turned out, that wasn't the case.

"When I developed the soreness I knew something wasn't quite right and when I checked the packaging it said 'kills 99 percent of bacteria'. Sadie said to me 'how can you be so stupid', but I think cleaning products should have warning labels on them so they're more identifiable.

"I've come through the worst of it now - I had to use Sudocrem down there for a week! Being a lorry driver it was hard to get in and out of the truck for a while because of the constant chafing and burning pain.

"The only way I can describe it is like the night after a hot curry but ten times worse! I know it was a silly mistake to make but I'm convinced there's other people out there who have done the same!"

A spokesperson for Tesco, said: "We were sorry to hear about this. We make the labelling on our packaging as clear as possible for customers.

"Our toilet roll and related products are also in a separate aisle in the Risca Extra from these cleaning wipes.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ap22264730964314_slide-493ed0cc4a6ea0c61

A Florida highway had to temporarily close Wednesday after a semitrailer carrying cases of Coors Light crashed and turned the roadway into a silver sea of beer cans.

The multi-vehicle crash occurred shortly after 6 a.m. in the southbound lanes of Interstate 75 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Tampa, the Florida Highway Patrol said in a news release.

Hot Tub Crime Machine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-63010292

Ashfield hot tub row councillor guilty of careless driving

A councillor drove at high speed through a 30mph zone before reversing into a police car, a court heard.

Tom Hollis, deputy leader of Ashfield District Council in Nottinghamshire, was spotted by officers while on his way home from bingo in September 2020.

On Friday he was found guilty of driving without care and attention.

The verdict comes a day after Hollis was convicted of harassing neighbours who had accused him of holding hot tub meetings during a Covid lockdown.

Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard Hollis had been returning home from bingo in a Range Rover when two police officers in an unmarked vehicle spotted the defendant travelling at high speed along Outram Street in Sutton-in-Ashfield.

The officers made up ground to follow the defendant, with the court hearing the officers were driving at 70mph.

Turning their blue lights on, police continued to follow Hollis at speed along Northern Bridge Road to an Asda petrol station forecourt in Priestsic Road.

James Gregory, who was filling up his car on the forecourt, said the Range Rover "swung" onto the forecourt and he "had to take a step back" as he thought he would be hit.

He told the court the manner of Hollis's driving left him "shocked and frightened".

"It didn't appear to slow down … it looked like a full-blown police chase," said Mr Gregory.

The court heard Hollis then reversed at "five miles per hour" into a police car that parked up behind him on the forecourt. This was accepted to be an accident.

Summing up the case, District Judge Grace Leong, said Hollis claimed he was "not in a hurry" and it was a "leisurely drive home".

Hollis said in cross-examination he had been driving at 30mph, but this version was rejected by the judge.

The defendant also claimed he had not realised the blue lights were for him but Ms Leong said this was "utterly implausible" and he would have seen the lights well before he got to the petrol station.

"Mr Hollis, was very lucky not to be prosecuted for dangerous driving, travelling 60 to 70mph in an area which has traffic calming measures," the judge said.

On Thursday, Hollis was convicted at the same court of of two counts of harassment against his neighbours.

The court heard he had concocted a false knife threat allegation and sent a threatening letter on council-headed paper after they told police he had been hosting meetings in his hot tub.

The district judge found him guilty of both charges but also concluded the deputy leader did not hold council meetings in the hot tub during the Covid pandemic.

Hollis, of Yew Tree Drive, Huthwaite, will be sentenced for all three offences on 13 October.

• Upvote 1

I wondered what that perpetual queue of foreign youths right the way down Renshaw Street and past The Egg Cafe was when I walked past it last week. Turns out they're all waiting for residence permits from the Post Office.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/huge-queues-snake-out-post-25116948

On 22/09/2022 at 21:21, TheHowieLama said:

ap22264730964314_slide-493ed0cc4a6ea0c61

A Florida highway had to temporarily close Wednesday after a semitrailer carrying cases of Coors Light crashed and turned the roadway into a silver sea of beer cans.

The multi-vehicle crash occurred shortly after 6 a.m. in the southbound lanes of Interstate 75 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Tampa, the Florida Highway Patrol said in a news release.

Anywhere in Liverpool,the traffic would be moving again in half an hour,tops !