You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW picks the team v Burnley

Paco

TLW picks the team v Burnley  

26 members have voted

1. 1. who starts?

2. 2. what formation?

Where did he say that? 

He said if we don't get a GK (and then the striker was added) we are fucked.  Which is spot on, without a goalkeeper at a minimum we might not finish in the top half, Mignolet and Jones are woeful.  

I reckon a good goalkeeper and a decent striker added to this squad would get us 6th or so.  Does that mean it "solves our issues"?  Not even close.  But it would be a lot better than what we have right now.

I just don't think new GK and striker should be high on our list of transfer priorities, for me they are like positions 4 and 5 

We produced a disgraceful performance today, and won. Against a side not full of Championship players we'd have been bummed senseless.

Those numbers only shorten if we win games. Are you confident, for example, of us beating Swansea on Monday?

The striker in the country is Aguero, miles and miles ahead of the rest. A fully fit Sturridge will make a decent impact, but he isn't even fit to start the next game. It may be several weeks after he returns that he's anywhere near match fit.

I think we'll be a good 10 points behind Arsenal come May. Not confident we'll be ahead of Tottenham and Southampton either.

We'll finish 7th, and Rodgers will be sacked.

merry Christmas ya filthy animal

I just don't think new GK and striker should be high on our list of transfer priorities, for me they are like positions 4 and 5

new striker we def need. anything else can wait til the summer.

I cant pin my hopes on a fit sturridge given how many injuries hes had in 2 years.

hes found a formula with this 3421. we need a few more personnel in attack but we ve enough 10s

We produced a disgraceful performance today, and won. Against a side not full of Championship players we'd have been bummed senseless.

Those numbers only shorten if we win games. Are you confident, for example, of us beating Swansea on Monday?

The striker in the country is Aguero, miles and miles ahead of the rest. A fully fit Sturridge will make a decent impact, but he isn't even fit to start the next game. It may be several weeks after he returns that he's anywhere near match fit.

I think we'll be a good 10 points behind Arsenal come May. Not confident we'll be ahead of Tottenham and Southampton either. 

We'll finish 7th, and Rodgers will be sacked.

I think we'll beat Swansea and Leicester, yes.

We largely agree that this is not on and, by and large, the season has been a disgrace. With that in mind, though, why haven't Arsenal already opened up a double digit lead over us? We've been terrible and I think the QPR game - which I know we won - was among the top 10 worse performances I've ever seen from us, and yet Arsenal are still within touching distance. If they were any type of team, playing against the shocking opposition that this league has, I believe they/any real team would be out of sight by now.

A striker who scores 35 goals in 50 games and needs one chance to win a match will carry us far enough, in my view.

Really?  I would say it's those two and a really good DM as the top 3.

What are the 3 positions you'd rather see us improve ahead of GK and striker, if you don't mind me asking?

Fucking weird isnt it (or maybe not)?

We're not playing well and most people would be happy with the victory, a clean sheet and an upward trend in the league.

But no. The fucking usual moaners expect a brilliant performance because its only burnley. You sort the results out first then the performance. Its called grinding out a result something the moaners moan about united and chelsea doing all too often when they played shit.

• Upvote 2

We're not playing well and most people would be happy with the victory, a clean sheet and an upward trend in the league.

But no. The fucking usual moaners expect a brilliant performance because its only burnley. You sort the results out first then the performance. Its called grinding out a result something the moaners moan about united and chelsea doing all too often when they played shit.

I think a lot of people are unhappy and frustrated because we've been rubbish for about half a season now. I'm very happy about the result, but after some signs if improvement the last few games this was a major setback if you look at the performance. It's all well to grind out a result. But it would be a lot nicer if grinding out results led to growing confidence, improved performances and then some consistent good results. I don't think it will unfortunately, because it's not a confidence issue it's a quality issue.

• Upvote 1

Usual moaners my arse, this is comfortably the worst Liverpool side in living memory despite us having spent more than a quarter of a billion pounds since Rafa left, if you don't think that's shit then run into the nearest phonebox and pull on your replica DW Sports Crowm Paints shirt and pull your red underpants up over your head.

Grinding out results is about keeping it tight against decent sides, that was just a case of a shit side not having enough to put us to the sword, like grinding out a Christmas monopoly win against your nan after she's fallen asleep in the chair, it's absolutely nothing to crow about.

• Upvote 3

Usual moaners my arse, this is comfortably the worst Liverpool side in living memory despite us having spent more than a quarter of a billion pounds since Rafa left, if you don't think that's shit then run into the nearest phonebox and pull on your replica DW Sports Crowm Paints shirt and pull your red underpants up over your head.

Grinding out results is about keeping it tight against decent sides, that was just a case of a shit side not having enough to put us to the sword, like grinding out a Christmas monopoly win against your nan after she's fallen asleep in the chair, it's absolutely nothing to crow about.

Grinding out a result is what it says on the tin, you're not playing well but you get the result. The world and his wife have been saying we need to tighten up, keep cleansheets and get a couple of wins under the belt.

We are doing that but people still moan. Yes, the performances arent good. Anyone who thinks it all comes together at once is deluding themselves. There's a lot of hard work ahead still to be done. Get the results sorted and then you can look for improved performances.

Got to laugh all of a sudden that its now GROSS spend everyone is quoting not NET spend!

Grinding out a result is what it says on the tin, you're not playing well but you get the result. The world and his wife have been saying we need to tighten up, keep cleansheets and get a couple of wins under the belt.

We are doing that but people still moan. Yes, the performances arent good. Anyone who thinks it all comes together at once is deluding themselves. There's a lot of hard work ahead still to be done. Get the results sorted and then you can look for improved performances.

Got to laugh all of a sudden that its now GROSS spend everyone is quoting not NET spend!

Don't care what spend it is, we've wasted virtually all of it so it's all bye the by. Saying you've only wasted 100 mil instead of 150 mil doesn't really score you any points in my book.

As for keeping it tight, we've shipped five goals in the last two league games following Rodgers' masterstroke of putting quite possibly the worst footballer who's ever lived between the sticks.

Burnley have only scored 12 goals all season. The second lowest in the league, if you have to take keeping a clean sheet against them as a positive sign then there's some serious clutching of straws going on.

• Upvote 1

Don't care what spend it is, we've wasted virtually all of it so it's all bye the by. Saying you've only wasted 100 mil instead of 150 mil doesn't really score you any points in my book.

As for keeping it tight, we've shipped five goals in the last two league games following Rodgers' masterstroke of putting quite possibly the worst footballer who's ever lived between the sticks.

Burnley have only scored 12 goals all season. The second lowest in the league, if you have to take keeping a clean sheet against them as a positive sign then there's some serious clutching of straws going on.

Oh but it does matter whether its gross spend or net spend when you want to compare one manager against another. To say it doesnt matter is just simplistic and inconsistent. Not that that seems to bother some folk either.

Judging by your retort to keeping it tight, you seem to think its just a question of flicking a swtch and all a sudden, you stop shipping goals. Sorry to disappoint you but it doesnt work like that in the real world. Some games you conceed and some you wont but that doesnt mean you havent played it tight.

burnley may have only scored 12 all season. Im not fucking arsed about them insofar as Im talking Liverpool. It doesnt matter if its 2nd lowest in the league. What are you expecting, for us to steamroller them because 'we are Liverpool'? When we're playing poorly? Yes, I guess you do.

I'd hope we would as well. But that fact of the matter is when you arent playing well, its doesnt matter if the oppos are shit, You're not going to be playing high scoring, free flowing football.

Grinding out a result isnt just getting a result against a decent side. Its getting a result when you're not playing well. And that us right now. Not playing well and getting the result.

Tough if you dont like it, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Or at least until form picks up.

A brilliant performance?  There aren't enough drugs in Columbia to have me expecting a brilliant performance from this shower.  I did however hope that we might not play like a bunch of blokes who met each other half an hour ago on a fucking pub crawl.

• Upvote 5

Oh but it does matter whether its gross spend or net spend when you want to compare one manager against another. To say it doesnt matter is just simplistic and inconsistent. Not that that seems to bother some folk either.

Judging by your retort to keeping it tight, you seem to think its just a question of flicking a swtch and all a sudden, you stop shipping goals. Sorry to disappoint you but it doesnt work like that in the real world. Some games you conceed and some you wont but that doesnt mean you havent played it tight.

burnley may have only scored 12 all season. Im not fucking arsed about them insofar as Im talking Liverpool. It doesnt matter if its 2nd lowest in the league. What are you expecting, for us to steamroller them because 'we are Liverpool'? When we're playing poorly? Yes, I guess you do.

I'd hope we would as well. But that fact of the matter is when you arent playing well, its doesnt matter if the oppos are shit, You're not going to be playing high scoring, free flowing football.

Grinding out a result isnt just getting a result against a decent side. Its getting a result when you're not playing well. And that us right now. Not playing well and getting the result.

Tough if you dont like it, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Or at least until form picks up.

I'm not comparing his spend against another manager, I'm saying he's wasted virtually every penny he's been given, so whether it's net spend, gross spend, or dog years, it's still the same accusation.

• Upvote 1