You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Winter coats and jackets

Mike D

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere and walk everywhere i personally don't really think a really serious winter coat is something people need in this country.

I dunno, when Britain gets cold these days it's fucking COLD. I think you deffo need that option in your wardrobe.

On 09/10/2023 at 15:21, Section_31 said:

I dunno, when Britain gets cold these days it's fucking COLD. I think you deffo need that option in your wardrobe.

Just not having that me...different strokes and all that of course - but for me a really serious winter coat is just something that the vast majority of people here don't really need.

Having lived in Britain and also Siberia, I would say that I agree with @an tha on this one. No one in England needs a serious winter coat (i.e. down and the like).

Down coats are for when it's below -10, preferably -20 and down. You need them when it's so cold that there's zero moisture in the air, and in that circumstance they are irreplaceable and utterly brilliant.

What you need in Liverpool is wool. Maybe, on the coldest winter days, a light down vest, but for the most part, you want something that can function to keep you warm in high humidity or mist/fog/light rain. That's when you feel the coldest, but it's also the exact conditions that a down coat is useless in.

38 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's gloves I struggle to find that actually keep your fingertips warm but are functional enough. Not super thick things you have to remove everytime you need to use something and that can take a bit of wear and tear.

Negged for the annoying US use of 'Super.' 'Very warm' 'dead warm' or 'extremely warm' are all passable but I can't let that annoying Americanism used largely by Social Media annoying cunts pass.

35 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Negged for the annoying US use of 'Super.' 'Very warm' 'dead warm' or 'extremely warm' are all passable but I can't let that annoying Americanism used largely by Social Media annoying cunts pass.

I never use the word super to describe how warm something was, do you mean  "very thick" "dead thick" or "extremely thick" by all means pick one which you feel best suits yourself.

• Haha 3

On 08/10/2023 at 17:33, Section_31 said:

Never thought I'd say this but considering getting a Barbour. Tried this Navy Ashby on in John Lewis recently and was really impressed. Are they still widely worn by dickheads or have they moved on to something else now?

000322346.jpg

One of my mates turned up at a Runcorn match a couple of years ago in a Barbour jacket like that and a flat cap. He was mortified when I asked him why he’d turned up dressed like Paul Nuttall.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Having lived in Britain and also Siberia, I would say that I agree with @an tha on this one. No one in England needs a serious winter coat (i.e. down and the like).

Down coats are for when it's below -10, preferably -20 and down. You need them when it's so cold that there's zero moisture in the air, and in that circumstance they are irreplaceable and utterly brilliant.

What you need in Liverpool is wool. Maybe, on the coldest winter days, a light down vest, but for the most part, you want something that can function to keep you warm in high humidity or mist/fog/light rain. That's when you feel the coldest, but it's also the exact conditions that a down coat is useless in.

Have you ever considered that some people might just feel colder than you do in the winter and may want to wear a down coat?

I go out some days and see one person in shorts and another wrapped up like they're half way up Everest. Everyone is different.

• Upvote 2

I tried a couple of Barbours and will send them back, they're not for me. Too bulky and stiff (matron!) That might change with wear but I can't be arsed.

On the warm coats debate, wool is useless. Only good for looking smart.

I remember that winter about ten years ago when it got to minus 18 and snowed for about three weeks. I used to wear a t shirt under my work shirt, jumper over the top, wool coat and scarf and was still colder than a motherfuck.

I bought my first ever parka, think it was about 60 quid from milletts, it wasnt even that thick, but was like walking around on a spring day. Never looked back since. Wool can fuck off.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I tried a couple of Barbours and will send them back, they're not for me. Too bulky and stiff (matron!) That might change with wear but I can't be arsed.

On the warm coats debate, wool is useless. Only good for looking smart.

I remember that winter about ten years ago when it got to minus 18 and snowed for about three weeks. I used to wear a t shirt under my work shirt, jumper over the top, wool coat and scarf and was still colder than a motherfuck.

I bought my first ever parka, think it was about 60 quid from milletts, it wasnt even that thick, but was like walking around on a spring day. Never looked back since. Wool can fuck off.

Was it maybe shit wool though?

I've got a pretty expensive wool coat & it's warm as fuck and very waterproof too.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Was it maybe shit wool though?

I've got a pretty expensive wool coat & it's warm as fuck and very waterproof too.

Maybe, back then it was probably next or something. I tried on a Belstaff peacoat once which was stunning but was about 600 notes. I've genuinely had cheaper cars.

Since turning 50 I’ve really started to feel the cold. I’m not one to put the heating on unless it’s Baltic though, but I’ve taken to wearing a fleece jacket around the house as well as t-shirt and sweatshirt, and I’ve bought thermal socks. As I work from home I’ll also sit and do my work with a fleece throw wrapped around my legs to keep them warm.

As far as winter coats go, I like the Flallraven Greenland winter jackets best. 

IMG_1640.png

• Upvote 1

I feel the cold,but sweat like fuck even when cold. I suspect it's the opioid use as painkillers can do this if you are a regular user. Breathable stuff is ideal nowadays but most is quite expensive for what it is. I think we probably need 'rain kecks' more in this country though as even if you have a nice coat it runs off the coat and drenches your kecks. That's my excuse anyway!

15 hours ago, Mook said:

Have you ever considered that some people might just feel colder than you do in the winter and may want to wear a down coat?

I go out some days and see one person in shorts and another wrapped up like they're half way up Everest. Everyone is different.

To be fair, Ne Moe gave a good explanation. I would have just called you a pussy.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Being a pussy is stalking some bird in the gym & posting about it on here, not wearing a big coat.

Being a pussy is being so self conscious about your ability to handle not very cold temperatures that you come back at me about a story I made up, thinking it will bother me.