You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Would not have four Manchester United players in spots 1 through 4.

Nor would it have just one midfielder, in 10th position, from the team that has won 18 championships.

And even he wasn't part of those 18. In a way it's a credit to our great teams of the 70's and especially 80's, all of which the contributors would remember, that they were just that - Teams - where each player excelled in his position and was part of a winning whole.

They should have separate lists for Greatest Players Nobody Ever Saw.

This line just sums the mancs up as a club, if you ever wanted to explain what they're all about, it'd be this.

"3) DUNCAN EDWARDS

Rated by Charlton as greater than himself and may well have proved him right but for his premature death among other Busby Babes in the Munich air disaster.'

• Upvote 1

But a failure. Both in terms of achievement and mental fortitude on the playing pitch. In terms of their respective impacts, I look at Gascoine much as I look at Collymore and Le Tissier - players who wasted their talent. I'd have Kennedy above him any day of the week. But then I suppose I am baised in that regard.

I agree and i like gazza, a fantastic player but a coupe of meaningless seasons at Spurs does not a great player make. I know its not all about honours and medals but Gazza won fuck all. Compere with Ian Callaghan's five league titles, two fa cups, two European cups, one uefa cup, one first division title, one super cup and a world cup medal (although he didnt play the final, it was when England were good) as Shankly once quipped "if i had eleven Ian Callaghan's i wouldnt need to put up the team sheet" Gazza had the hype in the media, Callaghan had the substance on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

Within a page the Gerrard thinks Rodgers is a phoney line will be back in the game, his comments today having been dismissed as merely a vehicle to take a spiteful swipe at someone who left 4+ years ago.

Thankfully our captain's significantly less petty and ridiculous than many others. Unfortunately they won't leave with him.

I have just digested Gerrard's decision and his statement for same in full.

It has taken some time due to the  need to avoid the knee-jerk reaction arising from the inevitable disappointment of it all.

My conclusions are as follows:

1. His decision is motivated by his own sense of self-interest - nothing wrong with that in my view but it does put paid to the view that he sacrificed himself for the club at any stage of his career

2. He has no faith in Rodgers/the owners doing anything meaningful with the team in the near future- otherwise he would have stayed if he believed we remained a credible challenger for league honours.

3. His reference to Rodgers arriving when he was 24 is a clear swipe at Rafa. He should remember that Rafa won him his most meaningful honour in 2005.  

4. The decision reflects Gerrard's inability to adjust his game to play on at the highest level and Rodger's inability to help him get there. The reason is obvious - he has never had sufficient intelligence as to the true role of a central midfielder a la Gary Mac etc. Gerrard is clearly more skilful than Gary Mac but not half as intelligent when it comes to playing a role in a team.

5. Gerrard does not think about the game or the team - he worries about himself and this drives most of his behaviour and decision-making whether on or off the pitch.

6. He will be a loss. Under the right manager who recognised his limitations, he would have been great for three more years. Rodgers continue to bang his head off a brickwall with his positioning of Gerrard.

7. His decision to announce this now rather than the end of the season is also self-serving and designed to get him as much game-time as possible for the rest of the season in the interests of sentimentality i.e.his last game against United etc, etc

I'm disappointed but not in the least shocked - we have witnessed these traits for quite some time now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It has taken some time due to the  need to avoid the knee-jerk reaction arising from the inevitable disappointment of it all.

1. His decision is motivated by his own sense of self-interest - nothing wrong with that in my view but it does put paid to the view that he sacrificed himself for the club at any stage of his career

2. He has no faith in Rodgers/the owners doing anything meaningful with the team in the near future- otherwise he would have stayed if he believed we remained a credible challenger for league honours.

3. His reference to Rodgers arriving when he was 24 is a clear swipe at Rafa. He should remember that Rafa won him his most meaningful honour in 2005.  

4. The decision reflects Gerrard's inability to adjust his game to play on at the highest level and Rodger's inability to help him get there. The reason is obvious - he has never had sufficient intelligence as to the true role of a central midfielder a la Gary Mac etc. Gerrard is clearly more skilful than Gary Mac but not half as intelligent when it comes to playing a role in a team.

5. Gerrard does not think about the game or the team - he worries about himself and this drives most of his behaviour and decision-making whether on or off the pitch.

6. He will be a loss. Under the right manager who recognised his limitations, he would have been great for three more years. Rodgers continue to bang his head off a brickwall with his positioning of Gerrard.

7. His decision to announce this now rather than the end of the season is also self-serving and designed to get him as much game-time as possible for the rest of the season in the interests of sentimentality i.e.his last game against United etc, etc

I'm disappointed but not in the least shocked - we have witnessed these traits for quite some time now.

I'm disappointed but not in the least bit shocked by this post, sadly.  

Well I tried to analyse it but frankly, when someone says "1. His decision is motivated by his own sense of self-interest - nothing wrong with that in my view but it does put paid to the view that he sacrificed himself for the club at any stage of his career," it just leads one to conclude what an utter load of bollocks the rest of the diatribe is going to be.

• Upvote 4

Well I tried to analyse it but frankly, when someone says "1. His decision is motivated by his own sense of self-interest - nothing wrong with that in my view but it does put paid to the view that he sacrificed himself for the club at any stage of his career," it just leads one to conclude what an utter load of bollocks the rest of the diatribe is going to be.

Indeed.  I read the rest of it, and it confirmed that first impressions usually are correct.

1. I'm a little disappointed you haven't mentioned his head.  I fucking hate his head. 

2. Also, the way he says "nottin" instead of nothing is really, really annoying.

3. Finally, and most damningly I'm sure you'll agree, I have it on good authority he has spent some of his wages over the years on himself and once owned the chart-topping hit 'Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You' by Glenn Medeiros. 

The chapter in Didi's book re English football and English attitudes to the national team is absolutely must-read.

In fact any serious, credible attempt to amend the national side's prospects should begin right there.

Which is exactly why that won't happen.

Some good and interesting points there mate.