You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So what car do you drive?

Guest Pistonbroke

13418707_10153644728131430_1374567749694

Had this Tesla S P90D for a couple of weekends on test drive from them. Think I'm gonna get one next year. 

INcredible car. Genuine game changer. 

0-60 in 2.7 seconds and basically drives itself. never known a car so addictive to hit the go pedal, it's like being on a fucking space ship, but it's a bog, family car. 

Fucking expensive, mind, but minus fuel and tax savings and all that it'll only be a couple quid a month more than, say, another new 530i. 

WANT

Test drove one of those last year. Insanely fun to drive. i also have plans, but mine probably won't come to fruition as soon as yours. 

The interior space is amazing. Me and my mate both drove so i got to sit in the back. I don't think i have been in a roomier car. The display is incredible too, but, as you said, the power is the thing. No gears. It's like a ridiculous go-kart.

Test drove one of those last year. Insanely fun to drive. i also have plans, but mine probably won't come to fruition as soon as yours. 

The interior space is amazing. Me and my mate both drove so i got to sit in the back. I don't think i have been in a roomier car. The display is incredible too, but, as you said, the power is the thing. No gears. It's like a ridiculous go-kart.

Must be roomy if you could both drive at the same time. Did you sit in the back the whole time, or did you get a go on his lap as well?

Just took a 2003 off my sister as she has got a new car,I havent had a car for a couple of years and just use my two lads for things like hospital appointments etc.

It needs a new wheel bearing and possibly the head gasket has gone too. The mobile mechanic who looks after all our cars tells me it might not be too big a job as its an 8valve engine rather than a 16valve(which is the size of my lads Clio and would cost over £400 to repair.) In answer to the question,I might be driving an 2003 astra for a short while or I might be scrapping it and not be.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just passed my test I'm 36 never needed to drive in past but need it for work.

Was looking at getting a 2nd hsnd yaris for 1500-2000 on a 0% purchase card.

I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance.

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it?

Also how do you drive home from the dealership without insurance?

Basically I'm pretty clueless.

Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times

Every Yaris I've ever had anything to do with has been pretty much faultless, can't speak for the latest models (2011 and newer) but everything before that is really good.

For your insurance, you'll either need to have your proper insurance ready for when you collect or get one of those day cover things (I've no experience of how they actually work as I have trade insurance). 

As long as you have all of the details on the car from the dealer you can get it all sorted easily enough. 

• Upvote 1

I've heard from people and reviews these are generally reliable cars with decent fuel economy and insurance.

So any opinions on other cars also who's best to look at for insurance and what's cheapest way of doing it?

Used a diesel in my lessons but think I'll be buying petrol so daunted as I know I'll probably stall about 50 times

You'll to buy insurance and the road tax before you can drive it anywhere legally.

The dealer will give you a tear off portion of the V5.

I drove a Yaris as a courtesy car once.  I thought it was quite nice.

Take someone with you who knows a little bit more about cars and get them to drive it as well.

• Upvote 1

Re your insurance, I don't think there's any avoiding the price comparison sites. As a novice, it might be worth looking for any advice on Martin Cleverclogs' site before you start.

They ain't very cool, I know, Hades, but Japanese cars do seem to get great reviews from those that know about these kind of things

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

13418707_10153644728131430_1374567749694

Had this Tesla S P90D for a couple of weekends on test drive from them. Think I'm gonna get one next year. 

INcredible car. Genuine game changer. 

0-60 in 2.7 seconds and basically drives itself. never known a car so addictive to hit the go pedal, it's like being on a fucking space ship, but it's a bog, family car. 

Fucking expensive, mind, but minus fuel and tax savings and all that it'll only be a couple hundred quid a month more than, say, another new 530i. 

WANT

Update - binned off the Tesla. Too early for me to make the leap to electric - the spiel they gave me about the superchargers charging it in 20 mins etc was all bollocks, frankly. I spent an hour and a half charging at a hotel in Warrington and it only gave me a 25% charge. 

Totally unpractical. 

I bought an Audi A8 instead. 4.2 TDI V8 identical to the one below. 

It's fucking ridiculous and I love it. It's the world's most powerful production diesel engine and goes like shit off a fucking shovel. 

214_3_media3.jpg

• 2 months later...