You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joan Rivers

Paul

righto.  I look forward to you telling us which is which.

The difference is obvious. Why does anyone need to tell you? Even an imbecile ought to be able to distinguish someone expressing an opinion on politics or science or religion, and someone making a series of insults against one of their fellow members.

We all know SD can be a dick, but what's he done wrong in this thread other than put a bot of bait out there. This thread has now become TLW at its worst - herd mentality against a prominent poster because he's not well liked. He deserves a lot of the shit he gets but, apart from expressing his opinion with which it is perfectly reasonable to disagree, I'm not sure what he's done wrong on this thread.  

• Upvote 2

The difference is obvious. Why does anyone need to tell you? Even an imbecile ought to be able to distinguish someone expressing an opinion on politics or science or religion, and someone making a series of insults against one of their fellow members.

Its a shame she didn't record a series of covers of famous, hate-filled and bigoted speeches from the past in that case.

'Joan Rivers of Blood' just sells itself.

We all know SD can be a dick, but what's he done wrong in this thread other than put a bot of bait out there. This thread has now become TLW at its worst - herd mentality against a prominent poster because he's not well liked. He deserves a lot of the shit he gets but, apart from expressing his opinion with which it is perfectly reasonable to disagree, I'm not sure what he's done wrong on this thread.

Maybe the bit were he chucks about cheap claims of anti-semitism like confetti......again?

Maybe the bit were he chucks about cheap claims of anti-semitism like confetti......again?

He said on page 1 of the thread that he suspected that people who raised the Paletstine comment might be motivated by dislike of her because she was Israeli and female. He didn't say that anyone who found the remark abhorrent was therefore misogynistic or anti-Semitic.

He followed it up with a remark about not throwing your lot in with anti-Semitic misogynists if you don't want to be associated with their viewpoint - a valid point. He did not say that disagreeing with the Israeli policy towards Gaza (as I vehemently do) constituted anti-Semitism.

But it seems that some posters are fair game for having their posts distorted and being shouted down. Granted, those posters often don't help themselves (looking for example at LFD's situation on the MF, or C*de) but constant abuse of certain posters to the extent it takes over whole threads is bad for the forum in general and fucking annoying.  

• Upvote 1

He said on page 1 of the thread that he suspected that people who raised the Paletstine comment might be motivated by dislike of her because she was Israeli and female. He didn't say that anyone who found the remark abhorrent was therefore misogynistic or anti-Semitic.

He followed it up with a remark about not throwing your lot in with anti-Semitic misogynists if you don't want to be associated with their viewpoint - a valid point. He did not say that disagreeing with the Israeli policy towards Gaza (as I vehemently do) constituted anti-Semitism.

But it seems that some posters are fair game for having their posts distorted and being shouted down. Granted, those posters often don't help themselves (looking for example at LFD's situation on the MF, or C*de) but constant abuse of certain posters to the extent it takes over whole threads is bad for the forum in general and fucking annoying.  

Yes, it was absolute bollocks. People that raised the Palestine comment did so because it was fucking abhorrent. 

No, it seems like if you act like a complete fucking cunt, continuously posting snidey, offensive, deliberately misleading, hateful drivel, whilst pretending to be the only sensible, moderating voice of reason on the forum, then you should probably expect some abuse. 

LFD doesn't deserve lumping in with Code and Stronts. Whilst obsessive about certain subjects, there was no malice to his intentions. He very rarely threw shit grenades whilst no-one was looking and then played the "What me guv?" card.

• Upvote 3

No, it seems like if you act like a complete fucking cunt, continuously posting snidey, offensive, deliberately misleading, hateful drivel, whilst pretending to be the only sensible, moderating voice of reason on the forum, then you should probably expect some abuse.

That sums up about 95% of posters on here - myself included. Some people don't see it though...

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Stronts doesn't deserve putting in with Code either, to be fair. I've argued with him more than anybody on this forum, at times at great length with much infuriation, but he's no Code.

• Upvote 1

Are you for real?  What about those who take any expression on politics or morality opposed to their own as an insult?

and for the record, I'm am not one of a pack picking on SD.  I plough my own furrowed brow.  

I'm not saying that LFD = Strontium Dog = Code 72 - just that the situations that have developed around all of them tend to end up pretty ugly and unedifying for all concerned.

In the case of all 3 of the above, whatever their flaws (and I strongly disagree with about 70% of SD's posts on the GF), they are/were good, interesting and provocative posters and the forum is/would be worse off without them. 

The forum gets pretty boring pretty quickly when it descends into tit-for-tat bitching. Of course outspoken posters have to take a share of the responsibility for that but so do the people that feel compelled to wade in at every turn, making threads like this a shitfest. By bringing it up I'm becoming part of the problem  so I'll leave it at that.

Why would they dislike her because she's Jewish or a Female for that matter? that's a very dystopian picture of the world we live in if respected journalist's hate people because they are female, and it's just simply not true. The stuff i presume SD referred to was the Washington post article that started this, and it was a rhetorical question, enquiring about her legacy. Nobody as far as i'm aware has tried to sabotage her legacy or has been less than complimentary in their eulogy's. Nor have they allowed the Gaza comments to overshadow the overwhelming majority of positive well wishes towards her family and praise for Rivers as a stand up.

Why even descend a thread into those waters, when it's just complete nonsense. I mean did Jennifer Lawrence leak her own nude pics, no... do we need to write pages of diatribe to disprove this? no. Was Joan River's hated on because she is female, no, is it because she's Israeli, no...are the press focussing on her Gaza comments as opposed to her craft, no. 

I'm not saying that LFD = Strontium Dog = Code 72 - just that the situations that have developed around all of them tend to end up pretty ugly and unedifying for all concerned.

In the case of all 3 of the above, whatever their flaws (and I strongly disagree with about 70% of SD's posts on the GF), they are/were good, interesting and provocative posters and the forum is/would be worse off without them. 

The forum gets pretty boring pretty quickly when it descends into tit-for-tat bitching. Of course outspoken posters have to take a share of the responsibility for that but so do the people that feel compelled to wade in at every turn, making threads like this a shitfest. By bringing it up I'm becoming part of the problem  so I'll leave it at that.

No-one wants to see SD go.  No one wanted to se LFD go.  Or Hamstrung, or Steve Horner, or all the other good posters this site has had over the years.   The ones that flounce off and come back usually share the same characteristics - I would suggest the onus is on them to refrain from the sort of behaviour that ultimately results in them flouncing off in the first place.   

It's not a matter of getting offended about anyone's legacy, more a question of putting people right when they are demonstrably wrong.

I'm sure Joan didn't give a tuppenny fuck what jumped-up little pricks thought of her, and that's an example I intend to follow.

Yeah, looks like she did. That's why she backtracked on it and claimed it was taken out of context (despite the clip being available for all to see).

So she cared enough to try and lie about it.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Are you for real?  What about those who take any expression on politics or morality opposed to their own as an insult?

and for the record, I'm am not one of a pack picking on SD.  I plough my own furrowed brow.  

I don't think anyone forms a pack, I certainly don't. I've had a lot of run ins with SD over the years, I guess we just rub each up the wrong way, especially when he spouts shite like go hang yourself etc etc. Water off a ducks back for myself, but he needs to cut that shit out as not everyone can just dismiss such comments. 

Yeah, looks like she did. That's why she backtracked on it and claimed it was taken out of context (despite the clip being available for all to see).

I don't think she gave a fuck, but she wanted to be hated for the right reasons. If she thought she was misrepresented she put it straight. Ask Darcus Howe.

I can make a sound moral case for a Jew wanting Hamas dead (and having just watched the comments, it was clear who she was talking about - Hamas). There comes a point where ignorant people say ignorant things about complex situations - it happens on here on this subject all the time, on both sides, by people who haven't been within a thousand miles of Palestine - but it doesn't make them cunts. Just uninformed or brainwashed.

I agree with NV, Monty. I think she meant Hamas too. Still a shitty comment no doubt and probably one born of ignorance, but it doesn't make me happy she's dead.