You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Modern day Football commentators

Megadrive Man

I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this, but I couldn't find one.

After listening to Clarke Carlisle talk a load of Shite earlier in the Netherlands game and the national outrage directed at Phil Neville recently this seems like the right time to discuss this new obsession with putting ex players behind the mike, instead of actual sports broadcasters.

I can't really comment on Phill Neville as I didn't hear it, but judging by the amount of complaints and abuse directed to him on social media it sounds like he was pretty poor to say the least?  

In the Premier League last season we had to witness plenty of cringe worthy commentary from Michael Owen on BT. The stupidest quote I can remember from him was 'Alex Ferguson would have been proud of David Moyes's substitutions today' which I think was in the United Spurs game at White Heart Lane. Gary Neville and Niall Quinn have both been criticised for their commentating over the course of the last few seasons too and Clarke Carlisle was woeful earlier today. At one point Carlisle referred to a time he tried to get the better of Robin Van Persie, but Van Persie made him look a right fool. Hardly surprising considering I remember the likes of Andy Johnson tearing him a new one and undoubtedly even lesser strikers will have got the better of him throughout his career.

Historically there have always been players moving in to co commentary, the likes of Jimmy Hill, Trevor Brooking and Andy Gray spring to mind but what I don't understand is why this has now become the first port of call when tv companies are recruiting. Why are these roles not going to actual up and coming sports broadcasters anymore? Michael Owen would never have got the job on merit.His monotone droning voice is obviously not suited to the role, yet BT will most likely persist with him because he was 'Englands golden boy' for a few years.

One of the most infuriating things is the constant reminiscing and talking about their own experiences with some of the players on the pitch whilst the match is in play! It's completely irrelevant and serves no purpose other than to inflate their own pathetic ego.

To finalise, do you think that Phill Neville's recent attempts will make organisations think twice about who they should put in the commentary box, or is this likely to be one of them things to put on the list of irritating things about modern football?        

• Upvote 2

It's not just commentators, you can extend it to pundits.

It's fine if an ex-player has a brain in his head, is reasonably articulate and can make some relevant observations. Danny Murphy and Lee Dixon did a decent job on their matches today.

On the other hand, you would think the likes of Michael Owen and Ian Wright would struggle to tie their own shoelaces. They are cretins.

• Upvote 2

Oh for the days of Brian moore and David Coleman. Even Barry Davies was half decent. Carlisle today was,I agree,abysmal.

Barry Davies was my favourite growing up, he had such a great voice for commentary.  

It's fine if an ex-player has a brain in his head, is reasonably articulate and can make some relevant observations. Danny Murphy and Lee Dixon did a decent job on their matches today.

Yeah I agree, there are some good examples, but far too many bad examples for my liking!

It's mainly TV producers fault as they think football watchers are stupid so want to be "entertained" and impressed by famous names.

I think ex-players and managers are good as pundits (and to a lesser extent co-commentators) as they can provide real insight into tactics at the highest level.

However because producers continually pick idiot ex players this then also encourages the professional commentators to indulge in dumbing down, talking shit and crap jokes.

It makes no sense really because when Hansen, Gray and Gary Neville all first started they were universally admired for their knowledge of the tactics and ability to communicate them.

The main problem is they're allowed to use cliches to cover up a lack of real insight. In a profession that offers media training this should be a sackable offence.

Townsend is the archetypal offender, never mentioning formations or coaching methods when he can say a side should be "getting in and amongst them", "knocking it in there" in order to "ask some questions" and finally telling you a striker who scores "knows where the goal is".

There are exceptions - Matterface is decent, Chapman has made MOTD2 a very good show, Dixon and Keown speak with authority on defensive issues and Murphy's alright.

Unfortunately they're outnumbered by a slavvering army of moronic gobshites all lead by the gurning, gesticulating gargoyle that is Adrian Chiles.

• Upvote 1

The main problem is they're allowed to use cliches to cover up a lack of real insight. In a profession that offers media training this should be a sackable offence.

Townsend is the archetypal offender, never mentioning formations or coaching methods when he can say a side should be "getting in and amongst them", "knocking it in there" in order to "ask some questions" and finally telling you a striker who scores "knows where the goal is".

There are exceptions - Matterface is decent, Chapman has made MOTD2 a very good show, Dixon and Keown speak with authority on defensive issues and Murphy's alright.

Unfortunately they're outnumbered by a slavvering army of moronic gobshites all lead by the gurning, gesticulating gargoyle that is Adrian Chiles.

Thing is when Chiles first started doing MOTD2 he wasn't that bad.

He wasn't great but he generally didn't get in the way and brought a bit of a chatty tone which allowed the pundits space to talk about the issues.

I presume ITV have deliberately got him talking hyperbolic inanities.  ITV even managed to fuck up Des Lynam.

Phil Neville was atrocious. I can't believe they had him cut his teeth for an England game. Get him on Nigeria/Iran and see how he goes.

But I'm a radio man, really, and there are some excellent radio commentators. John Murray, among others, for five live is a brilliant commentator. Matterface for talksport is (surprisingly) very good too. Five Live have good commentators, presenters and pundits in my opinion. Listening to their all day Sat/Sun WC coverage was great.

Ultimately, I have no issue with the TV pundits or comments men. They only grate if their voice grates (and a few do on radio and TV). What they actually say is neither here nor there for me. I can make up my own mind and certainly don't care if they have a different view.

I actually think there is no difference in the modern day commentator to the olden day ones. It's just that we tend to be fairly nostalgic and pine for the good old days, I think. But, back then, we moaned too.

...... Keown speak with authority on defensive issues and Murphy's alright.

I think it's a tough (although plum) gig with a tough, big, tribal audience who are ready to pounce.

It must be very easy to fall back on cliches when you are scraping round for something succinct to say. Keown was a poor pundit to start with; talked in predominatly cliches. But he has improved out of sight. Maybe its a time thing.

Chiles was excellent on radio. I am not so sure he's cut out for TV. Nothing to do with the way he looks, more to do with his presenting style.

I was listening to a programne on Radio 4 yesterday and Barry Davies was saying that radio commentators need to paint pictures and TV ones add to the picture we can see.

He was saying that in his day he would have been told during the game to shut up more, or raise the tempo or slow down a bit dependent upon what was happening.

I thought Danny Murphy was excellent during Spain v Chile

Co-commentators aren't needed. If they weren't there the main commentator would actually get some discipline back. Martin Tyler, for example, went from being a serious commentator to a waffling loon who kept chatting to Andy Gray about what they'd had for lunch at the hotel and god knows what. Ex-pros were brought in at a time when the average viewer didn't know much about the tactical and technical side of the game. Viewers these days know vastly more and they don't need such input, especially as it's usually so banal ('He'll be disappointed with that!').

Dixon and Murphy have done OK as co-commentators because they don't talk too much. If they've not liked something, they pointed it out and articulated it concisely. Keown is far better as a studio pundit than as a co-commentator - in the studio, he'll get to watch the action, digest it, analyse it and make a few comments with his fellow pundits but when doing co-commentary, he just doesn't stop moaning and whinging. Savage isn't the brightest star in the sky and relies on enthusiasm over thoughtful analysis, much like when he was a player. However, he talks far too much when co-commentating and much of it is just moaning and whinging. They need to realise that consistently moaning and whinging during commentary does not make for great viewing for the TV audience.

I used to listen to radio commentary whilst watching the telly but it no longer syncs up.

The more I listen to Clarke Carlisle, the more I want to smash my telly to pieces

Bring back Richie Benaud type commentary when you only speak when you're needed

• Upvote 1

No Ian Wright tonight, he's flown home after his wife and kids were robbed at gunpoint.

itv will no doubt be looking for for someone with the same madcap enthusiasm mixed with Wrights football intelligence to replace him as their pundit. The only person i can think of who fits the bill is Timmy Mallet.

Ive been thinking for a while its a waste that the bbc have motson and have not used him at recent international tournaments, it may just be me but I think it adds something extra having someone commentate on a big match that he has seen many times before.

Having seen all the best international players/teams in the last 30-40 years means when he says one is special or a match excellent you take his word as he has seen so many.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with the posters that have criticised the co-commentator format.. The current vogue for wall to wall waffle with two people trying to bounce off each other is a mistake.  In a slow game such as cricket then there is a case for some knowledgeable comment and discussion during the gaps. Love the way Michael Holding works with the likes of Botham and Gower.and they genuinely enhance the experience. With football it just isn't necessary. Producers seems petrified of gaps in commentary and letting the game speak for itself. Christ if when went to live games some irritating cunt was in your each telling you who was passing to who and describing what the respective managers had for breakfast you would turn round and lamp him one. That's how I feel listening to the likes of Pearce , Carlisle, Tiddly and most of the other fuckwits that are invading my living room.telling me shit I can plainly see for myself or don't give a fuck about . I want to hit them.

• Upvote 2

Might sound odd this but something that always used to get me with some of them is how the main commentator when during passing play, wont say the players name until he has passed it,even if he is hanging on to it for a moment. Used to think it a bit confusing  as I could never tell was the name of that player the one who has passed it or recipient.

Pearce's feeble attempt to grasp goal-line technology in the France game really said it all .

An utter buffoon trying to make sense of the blindingly obvious and his job is ?? To tell us what is going on and enhancing the experience of watching the game.  Jesus wept.

• Upvote 1