You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

pogba and his agent wanted to leave united. dont think he d signed a professional contract or whatever contract he was on expired and he went for nothing.

prob wanted big dough and fergie wouldnt pay it.

He played Rafael ahead of him is one match when he was short of centre midfielders. That made Pogbas decision.

As we've seen throughout this pre-season, we need someone to finish. Creativity is a lot less of a problem than goal scoring is for us at the moment.

Not totally convinced by that. We haven't exactly created a load of great chances which Lambert has been missing. One header and one pen is all that really leaps to mind (not having seen last night's game)

He played Rafael ahead of him is one match when he was short of centre midfielders. That made Pogbas decision.

Yep. Ferguson is completely to blame on this one.

"And there was Rafael in midfield and I was disgusted. I was disgusted and I didn't get on either."

United lost 3-2 to Blackburn with Pogba remaining an unused substitute and he said that day convinced him to leave Old Trafford.

He added: "I'd lost that thing, that relation that I had with the coach. I was really disappointed, really disappointed.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/276115.html#xtWyxdQzzE8IFioc.99

I'm not saying we should do things in the style of Real Madrid and have thousands of knobheads come to the stadium for a photoshoot (though I'm sure that brings in some money at the gate and makes for more shirts flying off the shelves), but I think Anfield rather than Melwood should be used more when presenting the new players. Last year, the new players in particular got a sense of the size of the club when we had massive turnouts in our games in the Far East and Australia but otherwise it just seems as though they're told we're a big club and that's it.

As trivial as the above might seem, I can't help but think how much more motivating for the new players it could be, and make them hungrier from the get go.

Are you fucking kidding me? You actually believe footballers need to be told about Liverpool FC?

Are you sure about that, because I'm fairly certain you were in favour of the Downing deal.

Hahahaha!

Are you fucking kidding me? You actually believe footballers need to be told about Liverpool FC?

The likes of Real Madrid do not have to tell prospective signings about their club but they do it anyway. Knowing about something and seeing it for yourself are two different things, and seeing things for yourself will create the stronger and more lasting impression. It's also about pandering to and massaging the egos of the players because that is a key way with which to get them to feel more important and also buy into whatever vision you are trying to sell. A shitload of cash in wages undoubtedly helps too.

So no, I'm not fucking kidding you.

Isla on loan to QPR. Manquillo is a weird one, yes but he's on loan so not an expensive gamble.. If he does anything worth mentioning it will be more than any of us expected, if not he'll just return to Atletico. Move on to our more important targets now, please..

Isla on loan to QPR. Manquillo is a weird one, yes but he's on loan so not an expensive gamble.. If he does anything worth mentioning it will be more than any of us expected, if not he'll just return to Atletico. Move on to our more important targets now, please..

Well, there goes any little hope of Harry coming in for Johnson.

Had we signed Remy was that the forwards finished with?

I saw it as Remy for Borini and another "bigger" name coming in.

If that was the case and Rodgers wants shot of Borini our scouts must be working overtime to get 2 in within 3 weeks.

The fact there are no solid links emerging wouldn't worry me if we were experts at keeping it under wraps, the fact is we are pretty terrible at it, spending weeks antagonising gobby chairmen who immediately go to the press.

Rodgers is starting to up the ante by actually telling the world he wants Two more. When he starts all that its normally his way of applying pressure and pointing the fans frustration at the committee.

I think we had Remy and Sanchez keyed in but had no real options from there. I'm not sure what will stir the wasps nest more -overpaying for the likes of Bony who arent ideal fits just to have much needed depth or not getting anyone at all based on not being satisfied with what's available.

If we take the 2 players you named then the difference between the strongest XI now and at the end of last season is Lovren in for Skrtel (a minor uprade at best) and Can in for Suarez (a massive downgrade).

With almost £150m to spend and Champions League football on offer, I think we've mostly signed players who would have jumped at the chance to join regardless of where we finished last year, to add depth to the squad as a whole, whilst the first XI, as it currently stands, is weaker than a few months ago.

Manquillo is a 20 year old with virtually no experience of first team football and will be another squad player and if we sign a striker it looks likely be someone to play second fiddle to Sturridge, rather than a genuine upgrade to any area of the first team. As it stands, left back looks to be the only position in which we'll sign a player better than anything we already had, and thank fucking Christ Chelsea rejected our bid for Bertrand for that one.

I think it's very clear that our first eleven is not quite as strong as last season. It's also very clear that our squad is much stronger. What got us to challenge so strongly for the title was the first eleven, and a lighter schedule of matches with no European football. What caused us to fall away (several reasons, but the main reason...) at the last was the lack of depth. 

I suspect what we will see unfold will be one step back before taking two steps forward. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope we finish higher than second, but I can't see it. I think we have enough to solidify our place in the top four, and make a decent run at the knockout stages in the CL, but we might need to wait for some of the young players to grow a bit more as players before we win the league. But I do think that day is coming. Overall we look stronger than we've looked in years, to me, even if our best eleven might have just taken a small step down in quality. 

• Upvote 1

The likes of Real Madrid do not have to tell prospective signings about their club but they do it anyway. Knowing about something and seeing it for yourself are two different things, and seeing things for yourself will create the stronger and more lasting impression. It's also about pandering to and massaging the egos of the players because that is a key way with which to get them to feel more important and also buy into whatever vision you are trying to sell. A shitload of cash in wages undoubtedly helps too.

So no, I'm not fucking kidding you.

Yes, you are. Fuck you.

• Downvote 1

I think it's very clear that our first eleven is not quite as strong as last season. It's also very clear that our squad is much stronger. What got us to challenge so strongly for the title was the first eleven, and a lighter schedule of matches with no European football. What caused us to fall away (several reasons, but the main reason...) at the last was the lack of depth. 

I suspect what we will see unfold will be one step back before taking two steps forward. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope we finish higher than second, but I can't see it. I think we have enough to solidify our place in the top four, and make a decent run at the knockout stages in the CL, but we might need to wait for some of the young players to grow a bit more as players before we win the league. But I do think that day is coming. Overall we look stronger than we've looked in years, to me, even if our best eleven might have just taken a small step down in quality.

Small step down? Understating that a bit, as it stands I'm not particularly sold in our ability to stay in the top 4 given ours and other clubs (that finished below us) dealings

Small step down? Understating that a bit, as it stands I'm not particularly sold in our ability to stay in the top 4 given ours and other clubs (that finished below us) dealings

I've been doing a fair share of trouser-shitting in trying predict how next season will unfold. I think the upcoming campaign will be very difficult. The variable that I can't figure out is now that Suarez is gone, will the defense get any better to offset his absence?

Here's to hoping we complete the deal for Moreno, the other R back usurps Glen and the rest of the team gels quickly. Going to be another heart attack campaign. 

As for a new striker, I read something today about a Napoli player who I didn't even know we were in for, saying we weren't going to get him...unexpectedly refreshing. 

I think it will be struggle staying in the top four.

City and Chelsea are a given. Which leaves us, Mancs and Arsenal for the last two spots. With the signings Arsnal have made and their history of top four finishes will leave one top four spot left. I think Spurs may even be in the mix too with their new manager.

I think it will be struggle staying in the top four.

City and Chelsea are a given. Which leaves us, Mancs and Arsenal for the last two spots. With the signings Arsnal have made and their history of top four finishes will leave one top four spot left. I think Spurs may even be in the mix too with their new manager.

I don't think there will be a whole lot of difference in points between the 3-5 spots, making consistency (consistently good performances) a must.