You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

I can see what code is trying to say here but the reality is that Sterling is the victim of hype. The lad undoubtedly has talent and will be a regular premiership player over the next decade but in the rush to be the first to say 'I spotted him' or 'I said it when he was a reserve' people are proclaiming him to be destined for greatness. 

He is a decent player with limited technical ability and a blinding turn of pace with a good eye for being in the right place. The fact that he is 19 means he can develop the weaknesses and become an even better player. For me, the same problems will be thrust on to Jordan Ibe and I myself have recently being proclaiming him to be the 'next great one' etc. This after watching him for approx 20 mins in reserve footy this year and last. 

i don't agree with your first sentence but he deffo needs to go on loan, he needs games, he needs to understand different types of football. A loan from now till the end of the season would tell us all se need to know about him, good or bad.

i think the longer he sits on our bench he will stagnate.

Before we can expect anything else than the usual nothing peformances from him?

He needs to go on loan to a club who fits his level, he is not good enough if we wants to achieve something at the moment.

Before we can expect anything else than the usual nothing peformances from him?

He needs to go on loan to a club who fits his level, he is not good enough if we wants to achieve something at the moment.

I agree with this, but as a squad we don't have the options.  Despite some mourning his loan out, Suso certainly isn't any better, you know, in the league in which we play in and that.  Quite apart from the fact that he is a different type of player. 

I'm fed up with us carrying players - we've been doing it since the days of yore, and for the last 10 or more years we've been carrying more than one in almost every game we play in, and barring the odd anomaly the rest of the team are nowhere near good enough to compensate.  

Fucking hell.

Destroy the kids, that's the way to success. Forget letting them build their confidence. If they are not scoring the winner at least on a weekly basis then they must be shit and castigated for eternity.

Pathetic. The entire starting 11 were shite, why pick on the 19yr old substitute? Negged.

Against the mancs Sterling was so shite he should have been taken off again, the only thing getting anywhere close in shitness was Jovanovic performance against Wigan a few years ago.

Sterling is not even close to be good enough and the sad truth is he can only be useful if he is played in with around 40 yards of open space to run into.

Find me the thread from last season where I asked how many goals we should expect from our wide players to see its got nothing to do with yesterday's game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, the direct comparison is probably irrelevant.

I do think, however, we have fewer players capable of playing wide right than we do wide left. None of Sterling, Ibe, or Aspas are really wingers as such. For a start, they're all shit at crossing the ball.

Suso has played wide right for Almeria, and does look more effective than when he played there for us. I appreciate he's playing in a league where he gets a little more time and space, but I do think we lack attacking players that can play in wide positions with a little intelligence.

I'm not sure many people are really mourning his loan in isolation. More the fact we loaned him out, then spent whatever it was on Alberto. Seems like a waste of resources, and we're left with a squad no stronger.

Again, Alberto and Suso different type of player though.  I'm intrigued to see Alberto, and I'm sure we will get to see him this week.  Always difficult to gauge potential in these games, but he will quickly learn what football in this country is all about.  I'm under no illusion that he will be a world beater, but it will be good to get a view of him.

Code,

Once you form an opinion - its impossible for you to change it. I guess its a trait of yours where you go with your initial instinct and look to validate it every chance you get. Sterling isn't a world beater at all yet, he may never go on to become a great player but looking to stick the knife in at any opportunity isn't going to help anybody. All it takes it a few boo boys at the match to continually slate a player, a few people listen in, maybe join in, a few mediocre performances down the line and its an epidemic where large parts of the crowd groan and moan... how is that going to help his progression? Having the crowd on his back is the most counter productive thing possible for a young lad looking to establish himself. The kid has played 40 games for the first team, at the ripe old age of 19. He's scored 3 goals but has been involved in plenty of scoring opportunities and does on the odd occasion look a threat. Do you want to harness this potential or cast it to the gutter because he isn't Cristiano Ronaldo? 

I just can't have people starting threads like this, what is the point? There were 11 players who looked utterly fucking hopeless yesterday, yet you chose to start a campaign against one of our brightest young talents, because he didn't get us an equaliser. Yes he is frustrating at times, but lets judge a player over a season not a couple of substitute appearances where he looks as out of sorts as his team mates.

• Upvote 9

Have to believe his legal problems contributed to some of his on field struggles. With that sorted out maybe he'll return to form. He's not the kind of player to flat out beat his man with the ball, either. He's best when he gets in behind defenders and takes a pass on the move, although he bollixed his chance badly yesterday.

He'll do better once Luis is back in the side, I think.

Sterling has been coming on when we have been pinned back and whole team playing shit, I don't blame him for not single handley turning the match around by himself.Also some players are not good off the bench, this looks the case with sterling.

On suso I have been watching some of his performances and he has been very good, if this was a player we were being linked with we would be creaming ourselves.Ill be amazed if hes not in the squad next year.

How are we 'carrying' him? He's -at the minute- a young bit-part player who may or may not turn out to be a very good player for us. He's hardly playing week in week out, 90 mins a time, keeping someone more deserving out of the squad.

We have far more pressing issues than worrying whether an eighteen year old player who's shown glimpses that he can be good has gone off the boil a bit, or whether he's just not that good.

'Carrying him' is an absurd way to describe it, imo.

We should loan him out. There's no point leaving an 18 year old on the bench and hoping that he changes the game like in last night's match. If BR doesn't think he has the stamina/skill to start every game, I think it's time to start looking for more experienced players to fill the bench, while loaning him out to a team where he is certain to get first team experience as he is certainly good enough for a team in the bottom half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ain't no way Suso is coming back. He's tasted the good stuff, he won't want to come back and eek a living on our subs bench while he's told to 'learn' from the first team attackers who put in shit performances.

He's not fucking stupid, he realises he's decent and deserves to be playing regularly at a very high level.

Ain't no way Suso is coming back. He's tasted the good stuff, he won't want to come back and eek a living on our subs bench while he's told to 'learn' from the first team attackers who put in shit performances.

He's not fucking stupid, he realises he's decent and deserves to be playing regularly at a very high level.

Unfortunately that could be true. We desperately need a centre midfielder with composure, technique and skill and Suso has all of that. Maybe it will be seen to be an inspired move and he will come back next season ready to claim his place in the side but I'm not sure the management rate him as highly as some of us do

Equally hilarious is LFD coming into the thread to hail Henderson who was absolutely useless. 

Really?  I thought he was one of few who did well.  He put a shift in, kept the ball mostly and looked like he gave a shit.  More than most of the other players.

Heard a few people out of the game say similar.  

He wasn't great, no one was, he was OK though.  I'd say everyone else other than Toure were poor or worse.