You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Its a question I could have asked after every game since the beginning of last season really.

I was basically doing it early last season as well, but coul not find the thread, hence the new one. 

I said it during the pre season and I'll say it again, he is not as good as some people make him out to be.

• Upvote 1

Something smelled with Assaidi - Rodgers was never going to use him.

The baffling bit of business for me is Alberto and Aspas in ( for 15) Suso loaned out.

Certainly in hindsight that looks ridiculous - keep Suso, loan or sign on a free a thirty something proven striker and address the center of the field with that money.

Yeah, weird one with Assaidi. Must have been utter shit in training..

Fully agree with the stuff about Suso/Alberto. Really strange bit of business. Suso has been pretty decent for Almeria so far by all accounts.

Then maybe start a thread called "How many players are we carrying this season?" instead of using Sterling as an example? Perhaps then, the thread would go a bit farther and you'd have more players than just Sterling to single out for special consideration?

Why? He's making a valid point. Why do we send out other young players on loan but not him when he probably is the one who need it the most?

Bit harsh this thread. I think Sterling needs to get his head out of his arse and stop the off-field shenanigans, but today on the field of play, aside from his poor touch when played through, he did OK. I don't mind constructive critique, but this is OTT.  

Then maybe start a thread called "How many players are we carrying this season?" instead of using Sterling as an example? Perhaps then, the thread would go a bit farther and you'd have more players than just Sterling to single out for special consideration?

Yes.

I think a more uncomfortable question would be how long must we persevere with Gerrard's below par performances,

Sterling is a level above Ibe at present.

Far too much has been expected of Sterling too soon, way too much expectation has been placed on this kid.

He's getting a big wage for his age and I didn't see any complaints last year when his new contract was getting negotiated.

Too much pressure was put on him last year but he needs to be doing more when he gets a chance, it's one thing not expecting him to come on and play fantastic but it's another when you expect him to at least contribute something.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think all the players except Henderson and Toure were poor today.

Why pick on the 18 year old?

Because this time last season due to a lack of imports, and with injuries, we had to play Stirling every game, and Code is now worried that we'll promptly plummet down to the depths of the prem.

Stirling is 19 and older than Rooney or Owen when they first started to really shine. The boy is quick and works hard, but for me, there is no X factor.

At 19 Walcott was pretty good. 

He was shite right up to last season or season before that. Arsenal fans to a man hated him and thought him useless.

He could run and run and run that is without doubt. The problem arose when he had to do his running with a ball (except for a one game a season in which he managed to do something with the ball).

I have to be honest and I wasnt keen on Sterling after his first few first team games. Though I then found out he was carrying  a injury for the majority of games he played.

Fucking hell.

Destroy the kids, that's the way to success. Forget letting them build their confidence. If they are not scoring the winner at least on a weekly basis then they must be shit and castigated for eternity.

Pathetic. The entire starting 11 were shite, why pick on the 19yr old substitute? Negged.

Equally hilarious is LFD coming into the thread to hail Henderson who was absolutely useless. Give over man, he was wank. He deserves his place in the team, but we are allowed to criticise him, and yesterday he stank the fucking place out.

• Upvote 2