You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scottish Independence, yay or nay?

Baltar

Guest Pistonbroke

If Scotland vote yes can they still get British TV? Serious question. Over here in Europe it is still illegal to get Uk TV channels, although if you are in range of the satellite path you can just stick up a satellite and get all the free channels. 

If Scotland vote yes can they still get British TV? Serious question. Over here in Europe it is still illegal to get Uk TV channels, although if you are in range of the satellite path you can just stick up a satellite and get all the free channels.

Yes.

Guest Pistonbroke

Yes.

So how does that stand on a legal stance mate? Although I suppose Ireland get UK TV as well. It's just illegal to show it in Europe as things stand and for all intents and purposes Scotland would not be part of the UK any more. I know TV frontiers in France went through the courts and won a case to say that the UK channels should be available to mainland Europe, but they are currently using a loophole to get out of it. 

So how does that stand on a legal stance mate? Although I suppose Ireland get UK TV as well. It's just illegal to show it in Europe as things stand and for all intents and purposes Scotland would not be part of the UK any more. I know TV frontiers in France went through the courts and won a case to say that the UK channels should be available to mainland Europe, but they are currently using a loophole to get out of it.

It will be legal.

You'd be getting your own state broadcaster instead of the BBC wouldn't you? Not that I think whether or not you can keep the bbc should matter like.

There's an article here. Link cos I'm on my phone.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2014/sep/08/could-an-independent-scotland-keep-the-bbc

People in countries all over the World watch BBC programmes.

I agree that it's hardly a deal breaker.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Thing is, I really like Scotland and their people, but the way I see it is if the vite yes, which I'd entirely up to the Scots, then fuck em. Anything that's British is ours. Fuck off out of it.

I'd be like a rejected girlfriend.

They do, but not every country and I'd imagine you have to pay in some countries. You'll obviously be able to get it, it's just the question of if I'll be free or you'll have to get it though sky or something. I'm assuming your licence fee would go towards paying for your new national broadcaster.

Like loads of issues it'll only become clear probably months after a yes vote and negotiations. Just download any shit you want anyway or use a proxy to watch iPlayer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yes but they pay for the rights don't they? Come on, Scotland. Pay up.

Guest Pistonbroke

They do, but not every country and I'd imagine you have to pay in some countries. You'll obviously be able to get it, it's just the question of if I'll be free or you'll have to get it though sky or something. I'm assuming your licence fee would go towards paying for your new national broadcaster.

Like loads of issues it'll only become clear probably months after a yes vote and negotiations. Just download any shit you want anyway or use a proxy to watch iPlayer.

SKY UK is not available in Europe legally, you have to get Sky German etc....The films are all in dual tone and some other progs like National Geo etc. Scotland will get Krankies TV. 

Seriously though, just use a VPN/proxy to get Iplayer or if you stick up a Sat dish you get all the free channels anyway.