You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Either way, they'll have a stadium expansion to fill, and I doubt the corporate seats will be flying out at a high price given the standard of football on display. Their next move has to match the ambition of expansion, otherwise things will get really ugly.

Yesterday there was nothing about our game on the Guardian football blog until the match report. In the comments section there were many of the same that we made about Moyes at United "don't sack Rodgers, give him more money" etc.

He's turning the club into a laughing stock outside of Liverpool. They may fill those seats, but corporate buyers follow success and name brand recognition, not mid table sides that have no excitement or buzz attached to the shirt.

No, revenue has been growing I think. The caveat is that it's growing at the same rate or better for those clubs with bigger revenues than us..

Exactly right. For all our wealth accumulating on the back of the TV deal, you have to remember that every other club in the division is getting richer also.

Examples would be:

Adama Traore to Villa

Tyrone Mings to Bournemouth for £8m

Cabaye to Palace

Inler to Leicester

Wijnaldum and Mitrovic to Newcastle

Afellay and Shaqiri to Stoke

Lens and MVilla to Sunderland

Ayew to Swansea

Son to Spurs

Payet, Song, Ogbonna and Lanzini to West Ham

These are Champions League players in effect, very good players or very highly rated players who have commanded huge wages.

And just look at the players in this division, owned by a PL club, who are loaned out abroad.

Podolslki - Galatasaray

Szczesny - Roma

Cissokho - Porto

Marin - Trabzonspor

Cuadrado - Juventus

Dzeko - Roma

Januzaj - Dortmund

Cabella - Marseille

van Wolfswinkel - Betis

Balotelli - AC Milan

Markovic - Fenerbahce

The league is pissing money away, it's the last days of Sodom. If I was a businessman, I wouldn't be happy that we bought Balotelli, Markovic, Illori, for about £50m and they're out playing for someone else. That's a piss-take. I watched Marseille last night and they had Manquillo at right back, and the commentator reckons he's on loan from us. Also playing for Marseille was Remy Cabella, on loan from Newcastle.

Two fucking PL outcasts, starting a game for Marseille vs Lyon, and Marseille's best player from last season, Payet, sold to West Ham for £10m.

WITH EVERY MILLION SQUANDERED BY RODGERS WE GET SUCKED FURTHER INTO THIS MID-TABLE BULLSHIT WHERE THE POOR ARE GETTING RICHER.

The only real difference between a club like us, on the fringes of the CL for seasons (and Spurs), and the likes of Swansea, Southampton, Palace, Everton, West Ham, Stoke, is the decisions made by the manager of each club.

Once we're entrenched in this group of teams, we're fucked, because our manager just isn't the equal of their managers. We get our best players cherry-picked each year (like the other mid-table teams do), and this year we're probably looking at receiving some bids for Coutinho, Clyne, Firmino (despite the dodgy start), Gomez, Sturridge, Sakho, Can, all in the coming 9 months.

You think it can't or won't happen? We might not lose all of them, but every season we'll be losing a couple of our best players.

People seem to defend Rodgers on the basis that we aren't 'that bad', and that things will eventually turn around. The problem is time, and us standing still. We can't afford to stand still because the teams behind us are closing in fast. There are some people today, in the media, saying that the draw, at home, to Norwich was 'ok' because it looks like we're getting better as a team. Well, patently not because we just dropped 2 points at home to Norwich, and Henderson is out for two months, and Benteke might also be out for a little while now.

We're 6 games into the season, and already 4 points off 4th place. Only Newcastle have scored less goals than us this season, and that's with the shittest Newcastle team in memory.

We've conceded more goals than West Brom and Norwich.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I really don't know, but I certainly haven't heard our finances are deteriorating.

I'd say the marketing dollar, and the worldwide appeal and salience of the club - to people who don't really follow the results but more the history and hype - are fine and dandy.

Ignoring TV money for a sec..

Our off field income has been rising and rising. Mainly because of how WOEFULLY under exploited the club was commercially in the last 20 years. That is what they - or in fact Ayre - are good at. The word has been coming out that the main stand hospitality has sold a lot more quickly than they were expecting too.

Football wise it's a massive cluster fuck though and you'd hope that they're not entirely stupid and will realise that all this will slide away if things continue as they do. 

Exactly right. For all our wealth accumulating on the back of the TV deal, you have to remember that every other club in the division is getting richer also.

I'm not very clued up on business, it's more boring than Joe Allen and Adam Lallana swapping anecdotes about their weekends. The swiss ramble blog did a good article about us though, with some really understandable facts, figures, and graphs, if anyone's interested. The feel is for us currently managing well financially but probably at risk of us slipping behind a few of the clubs who are behind us currently, in terms of revenue, but may not be for ever if we continue to be unsuccessful on the pitch.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/liverpool-show-of-strength.html

6%2BLiverpool%2BRevenue%2BGrowth%2B2014.

7%2BLiverpool%2BRevenue%2BLeague%2BP%26L

Seen this posted Rodgers was right Suarez sure made him a better manager.

John Brennan ‏@JohnAPBrennan

@theliverpoolway

Luis' last season. 38 games: 101 goals for, 50 against.

Since he left? 44 games: 56 goals for, 55 against.

Rodgers record with Suarez on the books (not necessarily playing) was 1.763 goals scored for every goal conceded.

Without Suarez on the books. 1.026.

For context Bobs teams scored 2.352 goals for every 1 conceded.

So there you have it. Proof positive that Rodgers sure is.

I'm not very clued up on business, it's more boring than Joe Allen and Adam Lallana swapping anecdotes about their weekends. The swiss ramble blog did a good article about us though, with some really understandable facts, figures, and graphs, if anyone's interested. The feel is for us currently managing well financially but probably at risk of us slipping behind a few of the clubs who are behind us currently, in terms of revenue, but may not be for ever if we continue to be unsuccessful on the pitch.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/liverpool-show-of-strength.html

6%2BLiverpool%2BRevenue%2BGrowth%2B2014.

But...despite it showing growth, it's not a trend that can continue forever. Whereas our spend grows each year, seemingly exponentially.

For example, matchday, the cost of a ticket can only come down now. If it goes up again then there will be reprecussions, there will be empty seats, I think we all feel that groundswell brewing now, regardless of the performances on the pitch, people have had enough of being fleeced.

Commercial revenue could still grow, but unless you're City or Chelsea, we're not about to strike a dodgy deal with Emirates or Gazprom, or Abu Dhabi. The biggest deal would be a naming rights for Anfield, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Broadcasting is huge, but it is capped. We signed the deal with the PL, and by proxy, BT. We're now locked-in in terms of broadcasting avenues for a few years. The days of talk of us signing our own tv deals are in the past.

It hits home when you look at our matchday revenue for 2014 being about £50m. Well, our entire matchday revenue is out on loan this season (Markovic £20m, Balotelli £20m, Illori £10m). So, put a big fuck-off cross through matchday revenue, it's fucking gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What do Newcastle Utd, QPR, Stoke and Bournemouth have in common? They are the only teams Liverpool have beaten since 22nd March 2015.

It's shocking, 

I don't think I felt this depressed about our prospects even with H+G and the Owl in residence,

It was fairly clear that situation would change fairly quickly. The current owners don't seem about to sell us or to appoint people that know the first thing about football 

One of the Manc fans in the office told me at about 9am this morning that Rodgers had been sacked. He was reading it from his phone. He was disgusted as he reckoned Rodgers is doing a great job for them, like Moyes for us.

I hate to say it, but I was genuinely excited. Was thinking that surely they must have Klopp or Ancelotti lined up already, as they'd never get rid of Rodgers before starting the search.

Gave myself a few minutes of blissful possibilities, when yer man piped up again. "Eh, sorry Lar. It was just one of the buddies taking the piss. So he's still in charge of ye thank God!"

Must admit to being extremely disappointed.

Fuck sake. How has he turned us into wallpaper paste? We're just so fucking beige. Supporters are now more surprised when we win than any other result. What the actual fuck like.

Our attack that destroyed Arsenal and Everton:-

--------Gerrard--------

Coutinho Henderson

-------Sterling----------

Sturridge Suarez

Didn't even have any of the ball, quick incisive passing and positive off the ball running. Seems so long ago. So many quick players too.

Even the players who are still here, Coutinho and Henderson he's been playing consistently out of position and instead of complimenting their strengths he exposes their weaknesses.

Henderson should be playing box to box but he had him holding, Coutinho should be the creator and 4th most relied on to get goals in the team, he's now our most relied upon goal scorer.

The scary thing is these are such obvious weaknesses.

Also, under no circumstances should we ever be playing 3 centre backs and a holding midfielder at home to Norwich (or anyone for that matter)

• Upvote 2