You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the reason?

Magic Sponge

I intend to contribute in the near future. I understand people not contributing at first but after you stay a while helping a bit is fair at the same time not everyone can spare 12-24 quid which is why maybe there should be other payment options...

Thank you for reminding me to renew my membership. I have not been a member for some time. Now, this is going to sound rather like, 'The dog ate my homework', but here is my story.

I was a member of the site and my membership expired. I did not have a paypal account so I was not able to renew my subs. I let it drift for a while. If there was a visa option I'd have renewed right away. The money was not the issue for me. It was the problem I had with not having a paypal account. (There may be some sort of technical or financial reason why there is not a visa option to pay, so I'm not criticising Dave in that!)

So, why didn't I just set up a paypal account?

Simple question. Ridiculous answer. I set up a paypal account but I was blocked from making payment from my US bank account into the paypal account because of new measures by the US Dept of Homeland Security. Apparently they have some new procedures over things like paypal, and my account was flagged/blocked because of potential money-laundering reasons. I got into a protracted exchange with someone in authority at paypal. They told me I had to provide a photograph and my social security number, as well as something with my name and address on it.

Even though I have all of these things I refused to provide them to said authority, since I thought they were being ridiculously heavy handed. They were practically accusing me of trying to do some sort of scam. 'How do we know you are who you claim to be?' they kept saying. 'I'm only trying to pay $38 for a subscription to a website. You are just a conduit for my funds. Why are you treating me like this?' It went like that for a while, until finally I gave up.

I like the Liverpool Way as it gives me a lifeline back to my roots. Dave does a good job with the site and there are plenty of good reds on here. It's not his fault it occasionally gets overrun by divvies, but that's the way of it, I suppose.

Anyhow, when I saw this thread, it reminded me of my guilt over not renewing my membership, even though paypal blocked me. Then I remembered... Mrs G used to trade on Ebay, and she had a paypal account. She hadn't used it for ages, but it worked for me!

So, hopefully I am now a member again.

I see The Padre's dipped into the collection plate again.

I recently coughed up £12, not particularly to be able to access other areas of the site, but because its given me plenty of laughs and interesting reads. It occurred to me that there was a cost to someone somewhere for me to have that enjoyment.

Some people will contribute in other ways, some genuinely cant afford it, some cant be arsed to pay and others dont think its worth it or are too tight. Its all ok with me.

I recently coughed up £12, not particularly to be able to access other areas of the site, but because its given me plenty of laughs and interesting reads. It occurred to me that there was a cost to someone somewhere for me to have that enjoyment.

Some people will contribute in other ways, some genuinely cant afford it, some cant be arsed to pay and others dont think its worth it or are too tight. Its all ok with me.

well its not with me.

When these bitches dont pay up it means Dave only gets three holidays a year, and shit like that aint nice.

Guest ShoePiss
Yeah, that was way outta line, CT. I started a thread in the SMF in protestation about some of the outrageously abusive posts. Link here.. Special Members Forum

Anyway, why would the likes of Major Tom, Shoe Piss or Xeres (all negged) donate in any monetary way when they contribute in so many other ways?

Er how would you know?

I don't contribute many posts but have donated a few times and paid for the gold shite once too. I find the rep system to be be a source of great embarrassment that is taken far too seriously and that the MF was pretty shite, really. This thread has prompted me into making a donation again, however, as I do spend a lot of time lurking, but I don't like the idea of 'going gold' due to the smugness it incites in a select few; it just doesn't sit right with me and it's not something I want to be a part of, so there you go.

The FF has got more readable since a fair few have disappeared to the MF; all the Rafa-related infighting was what made me stop paying for the pleasure of coming here, as it simply stopped being a pleasure.

And finally, I quite like both Major Tom and Xerxes; they seem like pleasant enough people. I've no idea how anyone can get so angry about nothing.

Guest ShoePiss
I don't contribute many posts but have donated a few times and paid for the gold shite once too. I find the rep system to be be a source of great embarrassment that is taken far too seriously and that the MF was pretty shite, really. This thread has prompted me into making a donation again, however, as I do spend a lot of time lurking, but I don't like the idea of 'going gold' due to the smugness it incites in a select few; it just doesn't sit right with me and it's not something I want to be a part of, so there you go.

The FF has got more readable since a fair few have disappeared to the MF; all the Rafa-related infighting was what made me stop paying for the pleasure of coming here, as it simply stopped being a pleasure.

And finally, I quite like both Major Tom and Xerxes; they seem like pleasant enough people. I've no idea how anyone can get so angry about nothing.

Feel exactly the same way, that's why I sent Dave £30 just last week.

This internet shit is serious bidnizz, Dan. You know that. I reserve the right to feel superior in my own way by NOT going gold. It's a complex web of quasi-smugness and silent self-congratulation in which I live, where I pat my own back whilst wanking infront of a mirror with the other hand.

Now that's more like the spirit, but how do you tap the ash from the cigar?

Guest ShoePiss
Now that's more like the spirit, but how do you tap the ash from the cigar?

Trick question! You don't tap the ash from a cigar, you should roll it off on the side of an ashtray.