You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Are they going to share custody?

Left side of the body is Arsenal's and right side is Spurs. North London Derbies are going to be fun.

For me, Willian is style over substance. We need incisive attacking play, not just pretty window dressing to give the illusion of us being an attacking force. I'd much rather a canny through ball than a couple of stepovers and a pass sideways.

£25m could get us Eriksen, it could probably get Benteke, players with end product and likely to hang around for a few years.

I just hope I'm wrong about Willian, like I was with Coutinho, and our scouts have seen something in Wllian that I can't. But I must say that I immediately don't like the fact he signed for Anzi, it sort of indicates that the player took an easy option and easy money at an age where he should have been hungry to win things and compete with the Worlds best.

I expect Spurs and Asenal to match that bid and walk away with him.

Dominic Campbell ‏@dom_campbell 47m

And yes. The mood is very positive that we will land this one.

Dominic Campbell ‏@dom_campbell 1h

But Tottenham look set to submit a bid next week. The club is trying to move quickly to avoid yet another complicated saga.

Dominic Campbell ‏@dom_campbell 1h

Fee agreed for £32m for Willian, although 35 has also been thrown at me which I suspect is euros. We are currently in talks with the agent.

Why are you making fun of Arsenal?

We've got £5m profit from the transfers this season.

So We've got money but, we're not signing anybody.... yeah right...

Can we just fuck off with this net spend bullshit? Especially considering that everyone who went out wasn't good enough. Also we had our top target turn us down for a move to different club, not much you can do about that when you don't have CL football and the subsequent income to offer.

If we can add Willian and Cissokho to this squad we will be looking very strong. I still worry about the Gerrard-Lucas combination but it doesn't look like we're going to do anything in that area so hopefully we see a much improved Joe Allen this season.

If Lucas plays like he has today more often than not then his pairing with Gerrard will work just fine. Agree that adding Willian and Cissokho would have us with a very nice squad though.

We're not particularly great at defending set plays either.

I saw it differently today. They really only threatened off of set plays 3 times and even then one of them was only threatening because Agger gave away a penalty. That said we could definitely improve there.

Can we just fuck off with this net spend bullshit? Especially considering that everyone who went out wasn't good enough. Also we had our top target turn us down for a move to different club' date=' not much you can do about that when you don't have CL football and the subsequent income to offer.

If Lucas plays like he has today more often than not then his pairing with Gerrard will work just fine. Agree that adding Willian and Cissokho would have us with a very nice squad though.

I saw it differently today. They really only threatened off of set plays 3 times and even then one of them was only threatening because Agger gave away a penalty. That said we could definitely improve there.[/quote']

They threatened off every single set play they had, which to be fair wasn't many more that 3 but it was a high panic ratio as we shit our kecks every time. Fortunately we won't play many sides as big as them, but that pen or a goal had been on the cards all day despite or otherwise complete domination.

For me, Willian is style over substance. We need incisive attacking play, not just pretty window dressing to give the illusion of us being an attacking force. I'd much rather a canny through ball than a couple of stepovers and a pass sideways.

£25m could get us Eriksen, it could probably get Benteke, players with end product and likely to hang around for a few years.

I just hope I'm wrong about Willian, like I was with Coutinho, and our scouts have seen something in Wllian that I can't. But I must say that I immediately don't like the fact he signed for Anzi, it sort of indicates that the player took an easy option and easy money at an age where he should have been hungry to win things and compete with the Worlds best.

So based on this post, if Hulk was offered to us you would turn him down, because he went to Zenit?

They threatened off every single set play they had, which to be fair wasn't many more that 3 but it was a high panic ratio as we shit our kecks every time. Fortunately we won't play many sides as big as them, but that pen or a goal had been on the cards all day despite or otherwise complete domination.

I panicked on every set play, but to be honest I think that was more down to our past record than to today's effort. Really looking at it I stand by what I said. We did seem nervy, especially in the first half, but looking back I feel they only threatened directly twice with the third time being Agger's arms fucking it up. I suppose you could say there was a legitimate reason for that but I'm not really sure there was other than nerves.

I felt we dropped way too deep in last 15 mins or so. We also seemed to stop doing the basic things right just to clear our lines. Christ above Adam came on and got oceans of space and caused us allot of problems just by keeping it in the middle and connecting with their front players. Should've been out of sight by that point too. However, 90% of our play was very good and as has been said, last year we'd have drawn definitely so onwards and upwards.

All the more depressing that we're on the cusp of signing the Brazilian version of Lee Trundle for £30m, when we could get Eeiksen and Papdopoulos for the same amount.

Willian is a quality player, 30 m seems a bit high though and I don't see how he fits with this "value" approach we hear so much about. I really don't see FSG spending this amount for him or any other 1 player ever again.

Can we just fuck off with this net spend bullshit? Especially considering that everyone who went out wasn't good enough. Also we had our top target turn us down for a move to different club, not much you can do about that when you don't have CL football and the subsequent income to offer.

Oh right.. so net spent doesn't count anymore.... Should we speak about the wage bill, or that doesn't count either?

What was the alternative to Mkhitaryan, then? There must be a plan b.

Oh right.. so net spent doesn't count anymore.... Should we speak about the wage bill, or that doesn't count either?

What was the alternative to Mkhitaryan, then? There must be a plan b.

It would seem that plan B is Willian. Some would say he's better, others say he's not as good. In any case his skillset fits what we need - A player capable of playing wide-left with a bit of pace and trickery about him. Needs to work on scoring sure but he's still a good player and would improve us.

As far as net spend goes: in this particular window it's a load of shit. We didn't just sell Alonso to try to replace him with Barry, that was years ago. We sold players who clearly had no future here. Of course I'd like the owners to splash the cash but seeing as spending loads on shit players has been a problem recently I'm fine to let them pick and choose who they splash said cash on.

Does being this negative come naturally to you or do you just enjoy it?