You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

With respect, that's utter bollocks. Sure he's been critical of the team/players loads of times.

You don't need to give due respect for something you think is bollocks. He's hardly been critical at all, the odd comment on the youngsters here and there and the odd player now and then, its not just him its previous managers too, we've a group of players who've had it easy for too long.

Transitional managers gives them the excuse everytime like they have to learn the sport all over again. Its simple shit really pass to players on the same team for a start and try and get it in the oppositions net. With each new manager we treat them like their memory has been wiped and this game is massively complex and we need to give them time to master basic football or better yet to actually put in the graft.

This season has been absolutely shite we have to take draws against city or arsenal like its some massive victory, were LFC and we give off the impression of a plucky under dog, how proud we all are that these fuckers who earn a couple of million a year can actually do what they're paid to occasionally or almost do it. I'm pretty sick of the lot of them and the constant piss poor decisions from LFC, the club feels like its intent on making itself mediocre it almost promotes it. Under no circumstances would I call a team who had just been beat by the dross that is west brom 2 nil magnificent or praise players for at least putting in the effort. I expect effort every single day. Its not good enough the whole club needs shaking awake. I'm having a daft rant but I can't help it we are constantly served up shite and told why we should like it.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby I think you've nailed it mate.

As a club we don't just tolerate relative mediocrity these days, we glorify it, make excuses for it. The only thing the club has done consistently well over the past few years is drastically lower fan base expectations.

I'm speaking as someone who is probably more sympathetic of Rodgers than most. I'm aware of our circumstances and our standing. I'm not expecting a title challenge or miracles. But it's just gut wrenching to see a succession of managers making excuse after excuse for yet another failure from our amazingly well paid collection of so called top class footballers against absolute cannon fodder. Shite like that shouldn't be coming away from Anfield with one point never mind three. Yet last night is no longer seen as a surprise and barely makes headlines any more. It's expected now, I wasn't surprised last night walking out of Anfield. We've seen it too many times before in recent years. And while the players are given excuses to hide behind they'll get away with it and we are all fooled in to thinking a lessons been learned a a corner turned. Bollocks. It's about mentality. It's why a poor United side are running away with the league. They're winners. They don't suffer fools and don't tolerate failure.

Glen Johnson normally plays very well going forwards, even though he is a full back, a reflection on our limited attacking options.

Defensively he always has been prone to lapses in concentration.

One of Rodger's challenges is to either play him as a wing back, or part of a disciplined back four. At the moment we have the best of him going forwards, and the worst of him defensively.

He remains about the best footballer in our side. How we get the best out of him is still to be determined.

Crikey. Never has the 'maverick'/'certifiable lunatic' threshold been challenged quite so robustly.

I'm surprised TBH. Apart from the untouchables, and apart from the patter you have to trot out during post-match interviews, I think he's done a pretty good job of kicking ass on under-performers. Downing, Henderson, Shelvey, Enrique, Skrtel, Allen can all testify to that. He talks too much, and trips on his tongue, but he's not giving people a pass IMO.

Bobby I think you've nailed it mate.

As a club we don't just tolerate relative mediocrity these days, we glorify it, make excuses for it. The only thing the club has done consistently well over the past few years is drastically lower fan base expectations.

I'm speaking as someone who is probably more sympathetic of Rodgers than most. I'm aware of our circumstances and our standing. I'm not expecting a title challenge or miracles. But it's just gut wrenching to see a succession of managers making excuse after excuse for yet another failure from our amazingly well paid collection of so called top class footballers against absolute cannon fodder. Shite like that shouldn't be coming away from Anfield with one point never mind three. Yet last night is no longer seen as a surprise and barely makes headlines any more. It's expected now, I wasn't surprised last night walking out of Anfield. We've seen it too many times before in recent years. And while the players are given excuses to hide behind they'll get away with it and we are all fooled in to thinking a lessons been learned a a corner turned. Bollocks. It's about mentality. It's why a poor United side are running away with the league. They're winners. They don't suffer fools and don't tolerate failure.

I agree with the tenet behind your post RM but the truth is West Brom's team is not markedly poorer than ours. The reality is that we're not very good. The 'poor' United team are on a different plane to us.

Crikey. Never has the 'maverick'/'certifiable lunatic' threshold been challenged quite so robustly.

There is nothing contentious there.

Comfortable on the ball, he is one of our best passers and strikers of the ball.

He is a good defender, but not a top four class defender, which is why Chelsea off-loaded him. His England caps a reflection of the shortage of alternatives.

Against the best he is consistently found wanting defensively, against the mundane, he is regularly out of position due to his forward forays.

This season has been absolutely shite we have to take draws against city or arsenal like its some massive victory, were LFC and we give off the impression of a plucky under dog, how proud we all are that these fuckers who earn a couple of million a year can actually do what they're paid to occasionally or almost do it. I'm pretty sick of the lot of them and the constant piss poor decisions from LFC, the club feels like its intent on making itself mediocre it almost promotes it. Under no circumstances would I call a team who had just been beat by the dross that is west brom 2 nil magnificent or praise players for at least putting in the effort. I expect effort every single day. Its not good enough the whole club needs shaking awake. I'm having a daft rant but I can't help it we are constantly served up shite and told why we should like it.

Yeah, but we are the underdogs... That's the reality of the situation. It's not where anyone wants to be, and it doesn't mean that the manager, the owners, the players and the fans don't aspire to something better. The line that people use about "accepting mediocrity" is, without due respect, also utter bollocks. Who's accepting it? It's the reality of the situation, we don't have a magic wand to get where all us want us to be. That's not accepting mediocrity, that's being realistic. I don't know whether we'll get there under Rodgers or anyone else, I really don't. I'm cautiously optimistic, as always.

Just back from the game, in haste.

Shelvey, oh fucking Shelvey. Blew up in your face that, Brendan.

Agree with a couple of observations such as stop our full backs and we're fucked and good defenders are being made to look very average.

I've heard people say it was a good performance just lacking a result.

Bar Henderson and Downing we were shite and the manager subbed them both!

We need to start again with a top class manager who knows a thing or two about winning football matches and without the mediocrities on our playing staff who accept a loss as if thats just another thing that happens at work

That's really easy to say but who would we get? We're a mid-table team with mid-table owners, mid-table management and generally speaking, mid-table players. That doesn't attract quality.

Yeah, but we are the underdogs... That's the reality of the situation. It's not where anyone wants to be, and it doesn't mean that the manager, the owners, the players and the fans don't aspire to something better. The line that people use about "accepting mediocrity" is, without due respect, also utter bollocks. Who's accepting it? It's the reality of the situation, we don't have a magic wand to get where all us want us to be. That's not accepting mediocrity, that's being realistic. I don't know whether we'll get there under Rodgers or anyone else, I really don't. I'm cautiously optimistic, as always.

Is exactly right.

I think the reason people use that line is borne out of sheer and utter frustration on spunking very large amounts of money on players who have turned out to be not nearly good enough to get us where we want to be. Suarez and Gerrard remain our only players with real, real quality. If we were like most other mid-table teams and hadn't spent that much, fine it makes sense, but based on how much we've invested in the team we should be doing far, far better than we are.

The other factor is that most of these players seem to have no bottle, no determination. There really is a sense that a lot of them are taking the attitude, "well we lost to West Brom at home, at least we tried". The point is that at clubs like Man U, Chelsea or City that just isn't good enough.

Exactly.

I don't buy this argument that we are being fed insiduous subliminal propaganda by FSG and it's managerial staff to brainwash the masses into 'accepting mediocrity' like in Big Brother or 1984.

It isn't 1984 when we could expect title after title and European Cups (I wish it was cos I'd be 19) and the axis of power has shifted a lot since then.

The current manager and 'regime' despite their failings are not responsible for our relative decline since 1990.

Sometimes I think we should just have done with it and start wearing bar stripes or claret and blue.

As some posters have pointed out. We are indeed Liverpool Football Club.

We are not underdogs at home to West Brom, Aston Villa, Swansea City and the like. Away at the Emirates or Old Trafford fine. The point Bobby makes is spot on. To hear how magnificent the players are after they've been turned over at home AGAIN is insulting to the supporters and insulting to everything that the club has been built up on. This goes back years now. One off freak results happen, last night wasnt one of those.

We are not underdogs at home to West Brom, Aston Villa, Swansea City and the like. Away at the Emirates or Old Trafford fine. The point Bobby makes is spot on. To hear how magnificent the players are after they've been turned over at home AGAIN is insulting to the supporters and insulting to everything that the club has been built up on. This goes back years now. One off freak results happen, last night wasnt one of those.

Entirely true and it's my concern with our manager. After years of rounding down our expectations we've finally ended up with someone whose expectations seem to be manifestly lower. We need to remember that if we finish where we are at the moment that's nosebleed territory for our manager and backroom staff.

I just cannot consider a run consisting of 1 win in 5, being beaten by Oldham in the FA Cup, West Brom at home plus a couple of away draws to Arsenal and City where we conceded leads on both occasions to be described as a 'terrific run'.

If our fucking joke of a captain puts a free shot on goal in from 12 yards out, we win the game. Hands down, we win the game - probably by 2 or 3, but no let's not blame our saviour Gerrard Christ - blame the manager instead.

You'd better be kidding, boy. He was our best player. No, he didn't play well, but he was just about the only player who didn't stink the place up.

I can't believe that, having all of those open and easy targets to aim for, you'd go for Steven Gerrard.

For fucks sake. Get a fucking grip.

Get a grip of what?

Did you think Coutinho showed any real quality in any part of his contribution?

I didn't.

I saw nothing from him that gave me any encouragement whatsoever.

So on that basis I really do hope he is a lot better than he looked last night. Because if he isn't he is going to be as much use as Borini and Sahin.

Guest ShoePiss
If our fucking joke of a captain puts a free shot on goal in from 12 yards out, we win the game. Hands down, we win the game - probably by 2 or 3, but no let's not blame our saviour Gerrard Christ - blame the manager instead.

Where are you from?

He was on the radio before the game saying we were playing fantastic' date=' we'd tightened up at the back and the fans were brilliant etc. I don't know how much is just a bad attempt at PR and how much is that he's on a different planet.

He irks me though, I must admit. As some have said, he peddles the patter but is quite clearly limited. It's an annoying combination. As long as I've got a hole in my arse though, we won't go anywhere under Rodgers.[/quote']

Sadly,I agree wholeheartedly with your views but i dont watch or listen to any of those pre match interviews as they are shite whoever spews cliches and tired analogies. They are all Vanilla to me.