You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

linked with Rossi in todays Mirror, although he is meant to be out till March so its probably bollocks but if he did come back early and was still as good he'd be a great signing!

Yeah, I bet Villarreal are definitely trying to find buyers before his right knee actually explodes during a live game. He's fucked.

His injury aside, I never really saw the lure with Rossi.

Good player, sure.

Great player? Nah.

Wasn't Rossi in a Villareal side that was just really poor, making him seem better than he actually was/is?

they were a very good team up til last season and this is his 6th season there, his goal record is good without being outstanding, if we got him and he carried on at his current career rate and Suarez continued his current goalscoring form we'd be well set

Dunno, but I remember Spurs were heavily linked with him during last Januarys transfer window. Apparently Villareal rejected a bid from Spurs for the last few transfer windows, and Redknapp said that a bid of £30m had been made for a player but it wasn't accepted. Depending on who and what you read, they have bid from £20m to £35m for him in recent transfer windows.

Bear in mind though, they also tried and failed for Charlie Adam, so don't be basing Rossi's ability on the fact that a deal was not done.

Dunno, but I remember Spurs were heavily linked with him during last Januarys transfer window. Apparently Villareal rejected a bid from Spurs for the last few transfer windows, and Redknapp said that a bid of £30m had been made for a player but it wasn't accepted. Depending on who and what you read, they have bid from £20m to £35m for him in recent transfer windows.

Bear in mind though, they also tried and failed for Charlie Adam, so don't be basing Rossi's ability on the fact that a deal was not done.

I seem to remember him being heavily linked with Barca and Juventus before the latest injury

linked with Rossi in todays Mirror, although he is meant to be out till March so its probably bollocks but if he did come back early and was still as good he'd be a great signing!

Rossi is good but I'd prefer Parfitt.

Thank you. I'm here all week.

I'm not after a superstar striker this January, just a recognised striker will do.

I even look at the Sunderland bench today and see Saha there. Fuck me, that is all I'm after for the short term.

Yes, we all crave a 33 year old striker who has a career-long reputation for injuries and can't make the Sunderland team.

Still, hopefully his arrival will allow your dream of dropping Suarez to be realised.

Its hard to know what exact type of forward we need right now. But we definitely need options.

If you had asked me back in August I would have said I'd like someone to spearhead our front 3 and have Suarez play off them.

Now I think I'd be happier seeing Suarez as our spearhead and someone else up top with him and Sterling.

Which effectively means we'd need to buy someone who isn't just a poacher, i.e. we cant have a Huntelaar or Bent playing out wide.

Which is probably why we wanted Dempsey.

All things considered I think its going to be very difficult to bring someone in, but I hope we don't use that as a cop out excuse. Getting somebody in now like we should have done last year could make a huge difference to our season.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and we need to do that this January.

Tempering expectations? We won't accept a shit window this time.

If it comes to the last week and I see anyone state how they will reserve judgement until the window closes and we have done fuck all business then I will crack up, they have had since September after the monumental fuck up that was the summer window so they should be ready to move on January 1st, no fucking excuses.

Its hard to know what exact type of forward we need right now. But we definitely need options.

If you had asked me back in August I would have said I'd like someone to spearhead our front 3 and have Suarez play off them.

Now I think I'd be happier seeing Suarez as our spearhead and someone else up top with him and Sterling.

Which effectively means we'd need to buy someone who isn't just a poacher, i.e. we cant have a Huntelaar or Bent playing out wide.

Which is probably why we wanted Dempsey.

All things considered I think its going to be very difficult to bring someone in, but I hope we don't use that as a cop out excuse. Getting somebody in now like we should have done last year could make a huge difference to our season.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and we need to do that this January.

This is fucking bang on the money!

We won't be signing any worldclass players in January.

Realistically I can see us only spending once we've sold. So probably selling Downing for around 8 Million, and then signing maybe Huntelaar or Bent, possibly Walcott?

Borini will be back by then so I can see him being given a run alongside Suarez and Sterling. If we sign a striker like Huntelaar or Bent I wouldn't expect them to start that many games, unless we continue to play 5-3-2, as I think Suarez must be played in a central role given how important he is.

I agree with the view that the owners, Ayre, the scouting team and the management team need to have been preparing since the end of the summer transfer window to act quickly and decisively in the January window. They can't wait until January before beginning tentative enquiries about players, as that kind of thing should already be under way. We've known where the squad was lacking long before the summer window was closed. Leaving it to the very end of the window and still only being 'hopeful' of a deal is the result of absolutely piss-poor organisation across the board. Still being stuck in a 'must sell before we can buy' rut is the result of absolutely piss-poor organisation across the board. Both outcomes would only show that we are not learning from any of our past mistakes. Adding a whole bunch of players on deadline day is the kind of thing that only Spurs, Stoke and any relegation threatened club seem to be adept at doing.

Out and out strikers who can't play other positions aren't going to do us much good if we are only bringing one player in. I'd love Ba because he's cheap, but that's assuming we have enough to bring in a top class versatile forward. A goal scorer that can play multiple positions across the final third. Given a choice between one type or the other, go hard after the latter.

Hopefully January will be the final wake up call for some people. We won't sign anybody I just wonder what will be this transfer window's excuse? Who are they going to blame/fire.

Let's just wait and see.

However, the Liverpool chairman, Tom Werner, yesterday gave reassurances that not only would his Fenway Sports Group not countenance the sale of Luis Suarez, they were prepared for substantial expansion in the January transfer window.

"Obviously, we have made some mistakes in the past," he said in relation to Liverpool's wage bill. "However, our intention now is to deliver a priority product and strengthen the squad but actions will speak louder than words. I don't want to say more than that. We know that January is a challenging time and I don't want to say that we have got X or Y lined up but, hopefully, the fans will be very pleased with what we do accomplish."

Two Januaries ago, FSG approved the purchase of Suarez from Ajax, the only one of the big signings made under Kenny Dalglish who still has a future on Merseyside. When asked if he would even countenance the striker's departure, Werner replied: "Absolutely not."

He added: "He is a beautiful player to watch and, as a Liverpool fan, I am hoping to watch him for many years to come. We made a long contract with him in the summer and we are going to see a lot of his play at Liverpool."

Sterling will sign a new contract, insists Rodgers - Premier League - Football - The Independent

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I said this a while back on the MF, but I think this transfer window is a massive fork in the road for the future of FSG. If we get a couple decent attacking signings, and push on in the league because of it, that's something the fans can get behind; it'll be a statement that we're not here to play second fiddle.

However, if we swap Downing for Bent, with no other funds, they're up shit street. I think some of the things they've done have been very good, but if they can't or won't put money into the team at such a crucial period, there's not much point in them being here. Occasional mistakes I can handle, but pack of financial support for the manager I cannot.