You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC approach Wigan for martinez

Guest San Don

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what? The response on the internet forums?

More bollocks from you - we're not and have not been 'a dream club' for some considerable time. Please stop talking bollocks.

Oh you're all welcoming his potential appointment with open arms are you?

Get a realistic view. The majority aren't in favour of an appointment of someone with his lack of track record.

I accept internet forums aren't the be all and end all of fans opinions but they are an indication. When 90% of the fans here aren't terribly impressed at the prospect of Martinez I think it's far to say the appointment wouldn't be widely celebrated.

You must be astoundingly daft if you're trying to argue otherwise.

As for the attractiveness of Liverpool?

You don't lose the stature of Liverpool overnight. It's not the club that's unappealing, it's the current situation.

Ask most fans in the world to name the top 10 most prestigious clubs, and Liverpool will be in that list. In another 20 years? who knows, but right now, you're well and truly still in that list. The delusion amongst some beggars belief. Things aren't wonderful, but they aren't that bad either.

Yeah and if its 'leaked back' to whelan, where's that come from? certainly not FSG. So you'd think they'd say, fuck that. if you cant keep your gob shut to your current chairman, GTF you aint going to be working for us.

So again, why the silence and WTF are wigan going to be holding a new conference on tuesday? Yeah, I can see it now, Whelan proclaiming to the world 'I told you all Roberto wouldnt go to Liverpool.'

It's fucking rank.

Maybe Whelan's big mouth has finally made up Martinez' mind that he wants to leave no matter what.

Whelan's imposing a timescale for a decision from him, FSG probably aren't ready to be rushed, so Martinez either has to rule himself out of the running or quit. I reckon it's the latter, he knows the Villa job will probably be open for a while anyway.

Oh you're all welcoming his potential appointment with open arms are you?

Get a realistic view. The majority aren't in favour of an appointment of someone with his lack of track record.

I accept internet forums aren't the be all and end all of fans opinions but they are an indication. When 90% of the fans here aren't terribly impressed at the prospect of Martinez I think it's far to say the appointment wouldn't be widely celebrated.

You must be astoundingly daft if you're trying to argue otherwise.

So that view IS based on internet response, you also tell me that you "accept internet forums aren't the be all and end all of fans opinions" - how strange then that you tell me to get "a realistic view"?

As for the attractiveness of Liverpool?

You don't lose the stature of Liverpool overnight. It's not the club that's unappealing, it's the current situation.

Tell me then, how do you seperate these two things to a potential manager thinking of becoming a manager of LFC?

Things aren't wonderful, but they aren't that bad either.

Wrong - they are SHITE at the moment. Thats just the way it is at the moment, almost everything about the club is shite - unless you can tell me - with all your Anfield matchgoing experience - something that every other club in the league would love to have?

Maybe Whelan's big mouth has finally made up Martinez' mind that he wants to leave no matter what.

Whelan's imposing a timescale for a decision from him' date=' FSG probably aren't ready to be rushed, so Martinez either has to rule himself out of the running or quit. I reckon it's the latter, he knows the Villa job will probably be open for a while anyway.[/quote']

Yeah. Whelan's behaviour has been deplorable, and must have pissed Martinez off as much as FSG.

It ALL should have been a personal matter between FSG and RM.

I have a bit of sympathy for Whelan saying they'd asked permission to talk and he'd granted it - everything else was ungentlemanly at best, and obscene at worst. I wonder if Martinez is/was completely aware of how Whelan was playing this out to the media?

Guest San Don

Whelan's imposing a timescale for a decision from him' date=' FSG probably aren't ready to be rushed, so Martinez either has to rule himself out of the running or quit. I reckon it's the latter, he knows the Villa job will probably be open for a while anyway.[/quote']

Not sure Im convinced about Whelan's mouth being the reason behind their Tuesday conference.

Put it another way, LFC are being made to wait by.................................................. Roberto Martinez!!

:wallbutt:

Not sure Im convinced about Whelan's mouth being the reason behind their Tuesday conference.

Put it another way, LFC are being made to wait by.................................................. Roberto Martinez!!

Correct - and as far as we know they haven't spoken to Cappello, AVB or Benitez in relation to getting their thoughts about the role?

Martinez may turn out to be the right person - he may not, I would just feel a lot better about the whole situation (or a lot worse) if I knew who was advising FSG.

Could only happen to us,i havent a clue what to think ,i know one thing our owners who i thought were professional and savvy,fucking arnt and have to a degree helped played this joke of recruiting a manager out in the press.Im shocked at how unprofessional they are.I thought after the last owners things would get better how wrong i was fucking joke

So that view IS based on internet response, you also tell me that you "accept internet forums aren't the be all and end all of fans opinions" - how strange then that you tell me to get "a realistic view"?

Are the fans that have been on TV unrepresentative?

Or the ones on the radio?

Where IS the true voice of the fan? is it you alone?

Tell me then, how do you seperate these two things to a potential manager thinking of becoming a manager of LFC?

Well, I think they can be separated. I think the appeal of a stable Liverpool, stepping into a situation where they've have a fair season and a manager has moved on would be fine.

But because at this moment in time, its relatively new owners (who've sacked two managers already), and fans longing for a big name - it's hardly selling itself as a 'comfortable' time to come in, and IF the role isn't a traditional manager's role but has some high profile DoF above it, it might be even less appealing.

For me that's a distinct difference between the appeal of the club, and the appeal of the role being offered and current circumstances.

Wrong - they are SHITE at the moment. Thats just the way it is at the moment, almost everything about the club is shite - unless you can tell me - with all your Anfield matchgoing experience - something that every other club in the league would love to have?

Erm, not every club in the league would swap with you, no. But quite a few would!

Because you've had it damn good in the past, you're now thinking the current situation is 'shite'. It's all relative.

Finishing 8th for Liverpool ain't great - but it's not the end of civilisation!

For all anybody knows, all the hit posts this year might be goals next year.

Unimpressive year and current situation? yes

Cause for hysterical 'almost everything at the club is shite'? I don't think so.

If he announces he's staying at Wigan on Tuesday, I'll be having a celebratory wank, don't care where I am when I hear the news.

Then FSG can move onto one of their other candidates like Rodgers...

To be fair any doubts I'd have had over avb or Rodgers pale into insignificance compared to being lumbered with Martinez.

Are the fans that have been on TV unrepresentative?

Or the ones on the radio?

Where IS the true voice of the fan? is it you alone?

Strangely enough I haven't presented myself as "the true voice of the fan" - You're the one who told ME to get "a realistic view" whilst also telling me that the Internet was not the best view to take - yet now, you appear to be telling me that the internet, a couple of guys on the telly and radio IS the true voice.

Again, I fall back on a phrase that most often comes to mind when I read your posts - Stop talking shite!

Well, I think they can be separated. I think the appeal of a stable Liverpool, stepping into a situation where they've have a fair season and a manager has moved on would be fine.

But because at this moment in time, it's relatively new owners who've sacked two managers already, and fans longing for a big name - it hardly sells itself as a 'comfortable' time to come in, and IF the role isn't a traditional managers role but has some high profile DoF above it, it might not quite be as appealing.

For me that's a distinct difference between the appeal of the club, and the appeal of the role being offered and current circumstances.

We don't have a 'stable Liverpool' at the moment, THAT cannot be offered as a counterbalance to the situation as it exists at the moment.

Stop talking shite!

Erm, not every club in the league would swap with you, no. But quite a few would!

Because you've had it damn good in the past, you're now thinking the current situation is 'shite'. It's all relative.

Finishing 8th for Liverpool ain't great - but it's not the end of civilisation!

For all anybody knows, all the hit posts this year might be goals next year.

Unimpressive year and current situation? yes

Cause for hysterical 'almost everything at the club is shite'? I don't think so.

We're not "quite a few other clubs in the league" We're Liverpool FC, when you talk to Liverpool supporters about this situation you will get their perspective NOT the perspective of all those other clubs that would swap with us.

You try to downplay my comment that "almost everything at the club is shite" but are not able to provide anything to counter that claim. That gap in the argument sort of shites all over your comment.

Could only happen to us,i havent a clue what to think ,i know one thing our owners who i thought were professional and savvy,fucking arnt and have to a degree helped played this joke of recruiting a manager out in the press.Im shocked at how unprofessional they are.I thought after the last owners things would get better how wrong i was fucking joke

Oh believe me.. it could happen to a few other clubs! ;-)

I've a list of City cock-ups as long as both your arms.

It's Whelan that's made all this look bad. If he'd kept his mouth shut, it would have looked a model way to do business... professional approach to another club, and a low key meeting or two with Martinez (or any other prospect).

Strangely enough I haven't presented myself as "the true voice of the fan" - You're the one who told ME to get "a realistic view" whilst also telling me that the Internet was not the best view to take - yet now, you appear to be telling me that the internet, a couple of guys on the telly and radio IS the true voice.

Again, I fall back on a phrase that most often comes to mind when I read your posts - Stop talking shite!

We don't have a 'stable Liverpool' at the moment, THAT cannot be offered as a counterbalance to the situation as it exists at the moment.

Stop talking shite!

We're not "quite a few other clubs in the league" We're Liverpool FC, when you talk to Liverpool supporters about this situation you will get their perspective NOT the perspective of all those other clubs that would swap with us.

You try to downplay my comment that "almost everything at the club is shite" but are not able to provide anything to counter that claim. That gap in the argument sort of shites all over your comment.

You ask questions, listen to the answers.

The truth is, you're just struggling to engage with a supporter of another club and looking to try and incite an outburst. Ain't gonna happen.

You're getting over emotional shouting about how shite the club is, when it's not.

You say "talk to Liverpool supporters'... who are the people here then? do their opinions not count as much as yours?

You have zero evidence to suggest the majority welcome Martinez's appointment.

I have 'some' evidence to suggest the majority don't, and as I've stated clearly, it's not against Martinez himself, but rather the credentials and suitability for the role.

You ask questions, listen to the answers.

The truth is, you're just struggling to engage with a supporter of another club and looking to try and incite an outburst. Ain't gonna happen.

You're getting over emotional shouting about how shite the club is, when it's not.

You say "talk to Liverpool supporters'... who are the people here then? do their opinions not count as much as yours?

I'm seeing your responses - analysing them and answering them. How can you see that process as "struggling to engage"? I REALLY don't want an outburst from you - what I do want is for you to stop talking shite. Can you manage that? You can carry on making silly claims but really - when you get challenged on them, you should at least make an effort to provide some sort of evidence otherwise, some people may just think that you're talking shite!

At the end of that you're forgetting the basis of the argument - not only have I never said I speak for all Liverpool supporters, it was me that said YOU should stop listening to JUST Internet views on the situation. Take a deep breath, then another and try again.

[auote]You have zero evidence to suggest the majority welcome Martinez's appointment.

What are you burbling about - where did I say that? You're losing the plot here.

I have 'some' evidence to suggest the majority don't

And this is where we came in! - "Majority"???? Based on the Internet messageboards?

You've lost it pal.

Liverpool FC have been made to look a laughing stock by the chairman & manager of Wigan Athletic.

What a fucking farce we've become.

And Ian Ayre gets a new contract.

We deserve everything we fucking get.

Nail on the head , big club but we are run by idiots and its going to get worse,if he is appointed and we dont start well there will be blood all around anfield i just carnt see the point when the fans are dead against this ,another contract to pay off