You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

I can give some of mine if you like:

1 - it is stupid

2 - no promotion or relegation is worse than the worst aspects of FFP because it creates more of a closed shop than the one you want to rail against

3 - 28 teams is pretty random, and doesn't divide into 6 equally anyway

4 - a play-off system rewards those teams that are fortunate on the day rather than those who are strongest throughout the season

5 - coverage of the game would become even more unbearable

6 - the fans would never go for it

7 - American sports counter the possibility of staleness by having franchises move around, and in this country, only Wimbledon have done that with limited (if any) success, when MK Dons were created

8 - it is stupid

1 and 8 are not reasons

2 is not explained, just an assertion

3 the number is random, 24 is too small but I think even 28 may be a stretch for finding enough viable franchises, dividing equally into 6 is irrelevant as the North American pro leagues have often comprised unequal divisions.

4 you would have two legs and yes there is a level of uncertainty, you can make the same argument about the FA cup, the CL, even the EPL on the final day of the season. The strength of this system is that it injects that uncertainty, that way the season isn't over in Dec.

5 I don't understand your argument

6 Why not, they said that about baseball when it moved to this system the fans would never go back to a first past the post system now. More fans would become interested, you wouldn't have the spectacle of fans celebrating finishing 17th in the league.

7. Is nonsense, franchises move because owners seek different markets or better deals, not because the league becomes stale.

I'm just wondering what's in it for fans of teams other than the top 4 or 5 clubs. Baseball, US Football, hockey, NBA all gave up the "first past the post" structure years ago and without a multi-division format with playoff's the sports would not have grown as much as they have.

I'd like to see the EPL reorganized into 28 teams, and 6 divisions. A post-season involving the 6 division winners plus 2 with next best records overall (compensates for overly competitive divisions).

Get rid of promotion/relegation as it is so disruptive and seems more or less a waste.

The mega rich clubs would still have an advantage but not the near insurmountable one they currently enjoy. More clubs would have something to play for late into the season and more fans could be optimistic for longer than the end of September.

Awful idea.

Promotion and relegation is one of the greatest aspects of football.

Maybe in a past era, but nowadays it seems silly and pointless. Since 2000 how many promoted teams have established a permanent foothold in the EPL, how many have been P/R'd multiple times, how many top 10 teams have gone down since 2000? Now that's stale.

The league is getting more stratified every year.

1 and 8 are not reasons

2 is not explained, just an assertion

3 the number is random, 24 is too small but I think even 28 may be a stretch for finding enough viable franchises, dividing equally into 6 is irrelevant as the North American pro leagues have often comprised unequal divisions.

4 you would have two legs and yes there is a level of uncertainty, you can make the same argument about the FA cup, the CL, even the EPL on the final day of the season. The strength of this system is that it injects that uncertainty, that way the season isn't over in Dec.

5 I don't understand your argument

6 Why not, they said that about baseball when it moved to this system the fans would never go back to a first past the post system now. More fans would become interested, you wouldn't have the spectacle of fans celebrating finishing 17th in the league.

7. Is nonsense, franchises move because owners seek different markets or better deals, not because the league becomes stale.

No, no, just fucking no. The day that American-ised shite comes into practise over here is the day I pack in watching football altogether.

No, no, just fucking no. The day that American-ised shite comes into practise over here is the day I pack in watching football altogether.

Why though, if we had playoffs last year we would have had a shot at playing for the title, that will never happen again under the current set up. You just haven't faced that reality yet.

Why though, if we had playoffs last year we would have had a shot at playing for the title, that will never happen again under the current set up. You just haven't faced that reality yet.

Because the mere thought of the 6th placed side being crowned as champions because they managed to win a couple of one off games is wrong fucking imo.

If you finish 1st, you deserve to be champions because you've been the best side in the country over a certain amount of games that season. And if that means we'll never win the league again, then that's just tough shit, we'll just have to deal with it.

Also and to say we'll never win the league again under the current set-up is a load of shite as well. Things can change very quickly in football. I mean who'd of thought 10 years ago Man City would win the league in 2012?...Nobody that's who.

Because the mere thought of the 6th placed side being crowned as champions because they managed to win a couple of one off games is wrong fucking imo.

If you finish 1st, you deserve to be champions because you've been the best side in the country over a certain amount of games that season. And if that means we'll never win the league again, then that's just tough shit, we'll just have to deal with it.

Also and to say we'll never win the league again under the current set-up is a load of shite as well. Things can change very quickly in football. I mean who'd of thought 10 years ago Man City would win the league in 2012?...Nobody that's who.

That's an example of radical change, City winning the lottery. LFC will need radical change to seriously ever challenge for the title again, either change in the league structure, change in ownership, or some sort of salary cap.

I won't continue to discuss the idea though because I respect that its such a break with tradition and so unpopular that it probably actually offends people on here and I don't want to be accused of wumming. :)

That's an example of radical change, City winning the lottery. LFC will need radical change to seriously ever challenge for the title again, either change in the league structure, change in ownership, or some sort of salary cap.

I won't continue to discuss the idea though because I respect that its such a break with tradition and so unpopular that it probably actually offends people on here and I don't want to be accused of wumming. :)

It's not an idea though, it's reality. And while the idea might offend people, I don't think many will argue with the logic. So shine on, you crazy zirconia.

Guest San Don

But if someone said 10 years ago that by 2010 city would be bought by a billionaire, who'd pump nearly a billion pounds into the club, how long do you think it would be before they won the PL, most people would have answered within 5 years.

Things only change quickly if someone is prepared to chuck a huge sum of money at a club.

That's an example of radical change, City winning the lottery. LFC will need radical change to seriously ever challenge for the title again, change in ownership, or some sort of salary cap.

This is the only thing we can now hope for, because for me there is no fairer way of winning the league then there is now(as in how it's setup). 38 games played, whoever gains the most points are the champions. And the fact that as it stands, it doesn't look like we're going to win the league anytime soon, doesn't escape the fact that it's the fairest way to do things.

You see I'd much rather the champions be the ones who finished in 1st position, rather then a team that finishes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th. And who may of finished the season a good 10, 20, 30 points behind those in 1st place. Those wouldn't be champions for me, those would be teams who just got lucky.

Notwithstanding the Suarez to Madrid element, it's also clear from Rodgers comments that he's a bit miffed with recent events & FSG have pulled the plug on signings

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...rez?CMP=twt_gu

Liverpool have endured similar frustration this summer and Rodgers did not hide his disappointment after the club failed to land Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala. The Brazil midfielder's future is unresolved, with Chelsea making a late play for the Tottenham Hotspur target. Willian is understood to have had a medical at Spurs on Tuesday but there is anxiety at White Hart Lane that he may be slipping through their fingers.

Liverpool's interest is over after Fenway Sports Group refused to pay above their valuation of the 25-year-old. The Anfield club were close to a £30m deal at the weekend only for an improved package from Spurs to prompt the owners to withdraw.

Rodgers said: "We identify the targets and then try and get the deal done financially. That's how it was. The club pushed as hard as they felt they could financially but it wasn't to be. "It's the owners' money and they will always have the final say because it's they who run the club. What they have taken on here is a huge job. You have seen over the last few years they will finance a project we are trying to develop and what we have to make sure of is we get the right players and the value and worth of the player is right. It's disappointing because this was a player who would have been perfect for us."

The Liverpool manager added: "It wasn't a football reason [why the deal collapsed] and I don't really want to go into it. That's for us as a club really. The bottom line is he hasn't come here for whatever reason and we move on."

Just thought I'd say - I watched his press conference earlier and he seemed thoroughly pissed off/frustrated when answering some of the questions. It was the first time I've seen him like that.

Anybody who wants to tell me that two fucking American baseball fanatics and Ian fucking Ayre can determine the value of a football player (and indeed, do so better than our manager) can fuck off. Being the only person of sound football knowledge, our manager should have decided whether Willian was worth the amount being talked about - not any of the know nothing wankers who sit above him.

People often temper their praise of FSG with 'admittedly...they've made mistakes, but...' as if they won't happen again and again. Whilst I respect their business acumen, their footballing ignorance and arrogance really fucks me off.

Is it so hard to hire a fucking CEO worth his salt?

*awaits somebody to come along and congratulate their prudence and frugalness as if we haven't made a £5m profit this window and sold half of our top earnings over the past two years*

Guest Numero Veinticinco
They need to let the manager do his fucking job

Clearly desperate for the player. Like I say, it's a judgement call. If they have the money - and they do - then surely backing the manager's vision for another few million was the right call. Even if the player isn't worth quite that amount.

I can see it from both sides. If somebody came in and demanded more after you'd agreed, you'd rightly tell them to fuck off. But such is the desperation for quality players, we need to push the boat out.

He should be given his budget plus sales and allowed to spend it as he pleases. That way he lives or dies by his own sword.

The way things are right now, Brendan's just going to end up being the fall guy through little fault of his own. Tbh I don't think a more experienced manager would be putting up with this.

Just thought I'd say - I watched his press conference earlier and he seemed thoroughly pissed off/frustrated when answering some of the questions. It was the first time I've seen him like that.

Anybody who wants to tell me that two fucking American baseball fanatics and Ian fucking Ayre can determine the value of a football player (and indeed, do so better than our manager) can fuck off. Being the only person of sound football knowledge, our manager should have decided whether Willian was worth the amount being talked about - not any of the know nothing wankers who sit above him.

People often temper their praise of FSG with 'admittedly...they've made mistakes, but...' as if they won't happen again and again. Whilst I respect their business acumen, their footballing ignorance and arrogance really fucks me off.

Is it so hard to hire a fucking CEO worth his salt?

*awaits somebody to come along and congratulate their prudence and frugalness as if we haven't made a £5m profit this window and sold half of our top earnings over the past two years*

Good post, echoes a lot of my frustration right now.

I'm just wondering what's in it for fans of teams other than the top 4 or 5 clubs. Baseball, US Football, hockey, NBA all gave up the "first past the post" structure years ago and without a multi-division format with playoff's the sports would not have grown as much as they have.

I'd like to see the EPL reorganized into 28 teams, and 6 divisions. A post-season involving the 6 division winners plus 2 with next best records overall (compensates for overly competitive divisions).

Get rid of promotion/relegation as it is so disruptive and seems more or less a waste.

The mega rich clubs would still have an advantage but not the near insurmountable one they currently enjoy. More clubs would have something to play for late into the season and more fans could be optimistic for longer than the end of September.

There are a number of major flaws with this plan.

1. The Fa wouldn't allow it.

It would pretty much kill off the football league. It would mean huge numbers of clubs would end up having to go part time. There would be uproar amongst most people in football, and Dave Whelan would have a heart attack!

2.Champions League and Europa Qualification.

Which teams would qualify? How could we bring this in without the rest of Europe following suit?

3. Loss of gate receipts.

The 8 qualifying clubs would be ok, but the other 20 clubs would only have 7 home games a season! No Chairman in their right mind would take this risk!

4. Criteria for being a chosen club?

There are too many teams outside the Premiership that would have good claims to be involved, potentially you would have virtually all the Championship bar Yeovil Doncaster and Huddersfield. Then Clubs such as Charlton, Wolves, Sheffield United, Preston and Portsmouth. Celtic and Rangers would most likely try and get involved too. How could it possibly be decided on who makes the cut?