You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We won't finish in the Top 4

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What's your POV on the Numero/ Zigackly spat?

It's getting heated, but I'm not sure who to back, given i DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'RE ARGUING ABOUT

Back Zig, he needs the help. Plus, I enjoy being called a cunt on the internet.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how we finished the season with the squad that we had, I think there's every reason to be optimistic about a top 4 finish. It's by no means guaranteed, especially considering we haven't really strengthened the squad a great deal since the end of last season, but even with the squad we have we should push for a top 4 finish.

Hopefully we'll add a few new players before the start of the season to improve our chances.

Top 3 will be ManUre, City and Chelsea. We'll fight it out with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th. That will be tight but I think we can do it.

Pretty much how I'd expect an egregiously shit opening post from an egregiously shit poster to pan out. Three days into the transfer window, it has all the hallmarks of the moaning of a teenage girl anxiously checking her phone after a date. "Why hasn't he called yet? He mustn't like me. Ooh I bet he's with another girl!" Embarrassing stuff.

Lot of contradictions being thrown around at the moment. On the one hand, everybody acknowledges that we need established talent to compete now, and yet on the other our owners are getting hammered for being beaten to the likes of Phil Jones and Ashley Young; players who by all accounts have been bought more for their future potential than as guaranteed first-teamers. Yes, maybe we wanted them but we will be on a budget, and when you need to buy established players to get back into the Champions League, maybe the amount you earmark to pay for a player like Jones is 10 million rather than 17, or whatever the scum paid. You can't have it both ways. It's the same again with Marveaux; a poor injury record so maybe we figure he is worth 40k a week but not 60k.

In short, maybe we wanted these players but only at the right price. If we are going to sign a Mata or Aguero or whoever, we're not also going to go after players like Adam or Downing on a 'no expenses spared basis'. While we're on the subject, how does it make sense to acknowledge - for example - that we are not necessarily as wealthy as City, Chelsea and the like or necessarily as attractive as Champions League clubs, and at the same time to expect it to be splattered all over the back pages that we're chasing x, y or z superstar? Surely if it was leaked that we're in discussions with these players, there's every chance that we risk inciting other clubs to swoop in and try to scupper things. If there is a big deal to be done, doesn't it make sense that we'd be keeping it quiet?

Finally, as has been pointed out slightly facetiously by the official site, we've been linked with 66 players since the window opened. Add to that that the Charlie Adam deal has been 'wrapped up' about five or six times according to the ITKs and journalists, and it's obvious that nobody knows anything. People are getting hysterical over nothing and on a largely illogical basis. Henry et al have form for wanting success for their teams and supplying investment, and there is (as yet) no genuine reason to believe that they will treat our club any differently.

I don't know how people can have developed such strong negative opinions already. All signs point towards there being massive changes before the summer's over. I know it's boring but just fucking wait five minutes before chucking toys out of the pram.

Very well put Mr Res. I hate the frankly hormonal bleating of some of our fans, and the vitriol being dished out by a few of them is utterly embarrassing. It's as if the transfer window was closing on July 1st. I agree with you that paying over the odds for players who are being signed to "do a job" makes things 10 times harder when we try for proven world-class talent. I like the fact that we are telling other players, agents and clubs that if the deal isn't right, we won't be making the signing. I REALLY like the fact that the media are having to play a guessing game because the club has put an airtight lid on leaked info from within.

However, there is an element of history repeating. If we cast our minds back to summer 2007, we were talking about a new stadium and being able to compete - at long last - at the top end of the transfer market. The Mancs had just won the title, and they very quickly concluded big money deals for Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves. Fast forward to 2011, and we are talking about the new owners' plans regarding the stadium and being able to compete in the transfer market. The Mancs meanwhile, have just won the title and have swiftly concluded big money deals for Jones, Young and De Gea. To a point I can understand why our fans are nervous about our prospects, but I cannot stand the hysterical reactions of so many of them.

I reckon Arsenal are going to have a REAL problem this year with all their best players wanting to go, and all their shite wanting to stay (except Bendtner, obviously).

gervinho.jpeg

Have you seen the fucking state of that Gervinho lad they've signed?

The way the twat does his hair, coupled with the size of his swede, makes it look like his forehead is trying to give birth to another head.

I'm not reading this thread, but Henderson for starters will improve our squad - despite what the opening post stated.

Not worth discussing the rest, if you don't think we'll be in the top four when you saw what Dalglish did last season from January onwards, without Gerrard for most of that time, then you are a fool!

You can both be princes if you stop arguing and ruining this thread.

Which is already shit, but anyway.

I think you're being harsh on yourself Silverlining.

This thread has really picked up over the last couple of pages - I haven't laughed so much since Si's Chinese thread.

same old same old Liverpool; we've been duped once again by owners and we're not doing ourselves a favour either. ...20 mil or so on a player we didn't need or isn't a priority. all sweet talk those owners when they came in, just like their predecessors. but short on delivery. sad really. but that's our fate i suppose. got to live with it.

I think you have set the bar a bit high there Nick.

4th and 5th

10/11: 68-62

09/10: 70-67

08/09: 72-63

07/08: 76-65

06/07: 68-60

05/06: 67-65

04/05: 61-58

03/04: 60-56

02/03: 67-64

01/02: 71-66

00/01: 68-66

Not once have the last 11 seasons has it been needed more than 68 points to get 4th, I`d say that any team that finish with 70 points will get CL qualification.

Just think this season you could have 5 very competitive teams but there is a very big question mark over Arsenal at this point.

I think we will get 75 points so we will be fine

Just think this season you could have 5 very competitive teams but there is a very big question mark over Arsenal at this point.

I think we will get 75 points so we will be fine

The points have to come from somewhere though Nick and I doubt more than 4 teams will get 70+ points, its never happened before and to be honest I think it never will happen later either.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
numero, you're ruining every thread mate. GIVE IT A REST. You're like a dog with a big, fuck off bone.

Aye, it's just me. I'm not replying or talking to anybody. Nope.

Oh, and the answer is no, I'll keep giving my opinions.