You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/101914-strike-action-7.html#post2834690

Mark Steel: Teaching? Anyone can do that

The Independent Wednesday, 29 June

Tomorrow's strike of teachers and civil servants should be one of the most enjoyable industrial disputes, now that Michael Gove has asked parents to pop into school to take the lessons themselves. That ought to keep teachers in their place, knowing they've been replaced by a French teacher who says, "Now listen, I've not actually done much French as such. But I HAVE delivered wardrobes for one of Norfolk's leading furniture suppliers.

"So to start with, let's see how you deal with a problem that might occur while you're on holiday in Brittany. You're on the beach, and suddenly remember you need to get a wardrobe delivered to your uncle's house in Great Yarmouth. You ring Terry at 'All Over Anglia' Ltd, who don't speak a word of French by the way, so how do you phrase your question to him?"

Related articles

'No case for strike,' says David Cameron

Travellers warned of delays due to strike action

Battle lines drawn for public sector’s day of protest

Sean O'Grady: It wasn't like this when Michael Gove was on the picket line

Search the news archive for more stories

And teaching methods now are so different from when most parents were at school. So they'd leave the kids bemused, saying things like, "This morning we're learning the causes of the independence movement in India. Now as I understood it, the Indian is a basically happy chap but easily roused by troublemakers, so pad that out a bit and you should scrape an O-level."

And if anyone can pop along and help out, presumably somewhere a lucky class will be told: "Because of the strike, today you're very lucky to have your biology lesson taken by Mr Jonathan King."

The worry is the Government will decide all jobs requiring at least a couple of hours' training can also be done by whoever fancies popping in. Spirited members of the public with a spare hour can nip along and do some architecture, or heart surgery, or design an engine or fly a plane. That might make these cosseted workforces realise they're not as invaluable as they think.

The reason they're so determined to keep the schools open is, according to Michael Gove, the strike will "damage the children's education". Opponents of the strike also say the teachers are "taking out their grievance on our children". So it must be an extremely important day they'll be missing. Presumably Michael Gove was just as furious when schools were closed for the royal wedding, yelling: "How dare this ceremony condemn an entire generation to a life of miserable failure? Couldn't they have got married on a Saturday like normal people, for 20 minutes around tea-time so it didn't disturb their homework?"

Presumably there must be thousands of people whose life has been a wasted litany of drug abuse, because the school was shut for a general election in 1979, and on a day when they'd have learned about pollination as well, so they ended up a botanical idiot and now they sleep in the park. And to make it worse they can't even name the plants they're next to.

And in 20 years' time the most successful people in science, business and sport will be those who gained a huge advantage because their school stayed open tomorrow, so they were taught chemistry by a retired accountant, who may have spilt acid over a girl, but put the children before his selfish needs and that's the main thing.

Thankfully, with our children being so damaged by a day off, (and children across Britain do seem extremely upset by this), they're not so delicate about other trends in education. The fact they'll all be 50 grand in debt when they leave university, for example, doesn't seem to trouble them at all. And if fewer people are attracted to teaching because the pension scheme is worse, so there will be more schools where, in some subjects, the kids are without a teacher at all, that should be to their advantage, especially if it means they get taught instead by a biscuit salesman who sees a fight, barges to the front and yells: "Go on, Jimmy, SMACK him," and ends the day by saying "WAIT. The bell is a signal for you, it is NOT a signal for me. Oh bollocks, hang on, I've got that wrong."

From today's Guardian (sorry but I don't have the specific links):

"Just 20 years' service (for MPs) thus secures an index-linked retirement income of half final pay. Set lump sums to one side and MPs are clocking up rights at twice the rate of teachers."

"Incomes Data Services (IDS) said about 46% of FTSE 100 directors were still accruing final salary benefits in generous schemes that typically pay two-thirds of final salary as a retirement income...........

Company directors, like MPs, have among the most generous schemes in the G20 group of richest nations, with guaranteed benefits worth two-thirds of final salary accrued at an accelerated pace. Many directors can earn their full pension after only 20 years service, while it takes MPs just 26 years. Most workers take between 35 and 40 years to accrue a full pension."

P just on the matter of the headteachers, do you agree with me that they are overpaying them to make them willing to be the cunts the government want them to be. In the old days the Romans in their empire learned to use a local cunt to collect the taxes rather than a roman and pay them handsomely, they would be despised but it's divide and conquer, give them an obscene salary and hey presto!

I'd say that certainly seems highly plausible from my perspective, mate.

Which is all true of course, so do you suggest we ban inheritance. If I was lucky enough to become a land owning billionaire I would make sure my kids had the best education and chances in life. Would you not?

Of course not. What a mad idea. You're seeing this from the wrong perspective though mate. It's their lack of empathy with ordinary people I object to, not their wealth. I want our political leaders to be normal people, rather than game-playing cunts with no concept of the real world.

Just heard that prick who runs Ryanair on the radio saying " I call on the UK government to call in the police and army to keep the UK border agency open, to minimise disruptions "

Yeah, ok I'm sure the police whilst dealing with massive cuts of their own and the army fighting two wars can find the numbers to make sure passengers aren't inconvenienced.

Best of luck to those striking tomorrow, my missus will be and she has my full and whole-hearted backing. Stu, Dennis, Section and Paul, amongst others, have more succinctly said everything I'd want to but Sections comment here is more poignant than anything else.

The likes of Cameron and Osborne have never done a hard day's work in their entire life, they have never - and will never - want for anything, and everything they have, they owe to the help provided to them by friends, family and contacts. They have no right to lecture any working man or woman on any subject whatsoever.

I've said exactly the same to many people recently, particularly when Gove (the horrible fucking cretin) started gobbing off about the quality of school building's being irrelevant in education. It's a professional kick in the teeth as well as going against my personal opinions (the conflict between the two is a whole other discussion for another time) but what grinds me most is that this comes from a Government full of people that attended the best schools in the country in the most magnificent surroundings. How the fuck would they even know what impact your school's environment has on education, they've never experienced anything other than complete luxury.

I fucking hate this country, more than I can really explain without being here all night but if the strike achieves anything then I hope it's making the shower of bastards in charge realise they won't bully everyone.

Ha, ha. I'm convinced Michael O'Leary is really an escaped lunatic who killed the real Michael O'Leary and stole his identity. Why does he need the police and army? He should send in those hand-luggage Nazis he employs, with their case measurement boxes.

fucking public service work shy fuck sticks.

12 weeks holiday not enough?

WE ARE LIVING TO FUCKING LONG TO SUPPORT YOUR RIDICULOUS PENSIONS YOU MUPPETS. LIVE LIKE THE NORMAL PRIVATE SECTOR WORK. I HAVE NO FUCKING PENSION AT WORK. FUCK KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO WHEN I RETIRE

WE ARE LIVING TO FUCKING LONG TO SUPPORT YOUR RIDICULOUS PENSIONS YOU MUPPETS. LIVE LIKE THE NORMAL PRIVATE SECTOR WORK. I HAVE NO FUCKING PENSION AT WORK. FUCK KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO WHEN I RETIRE

This will go down well I'm sure.

As an aside, have you actually bothered to read any of posts explaining why we are striking?

AAAAANNNNND YOU'RE RED.

So because you think you're going to have a shit retirement you think everyone else should as well?

I know he's trolling but I'll make a point on the 13 weeks holiday nonsense. The amount of work my girlfriend puts in during term time is staggering and well exceeds the hours of anybody else I know's working week, plus she works in her holidays. She earns what seems to be a significant wedge more than me but when you analyse the amount of hours she puts in over a year, including these so called 13 weeks of holiday, my hourly wage is greater. Throw in the stress and hard work of the job and I'd never, ever swap with her.

Edit, damn phone - so what I'm saying is that those 13 weeks are completely negated by the hours they work over a year.

Edited by Karl_b

Shit? Some herbs, some spice - a man can feast well on rodent flesh.

Rodent flesh, we dreamt of eating fancy food like that when I was a lad. I got a cup of cold gravel for breakfast on a good day and thought I was lucky. Tell kids that nowadays and they wouldn't believe you.

Live, love and laugh perhaps?

WE ARE LIVING TO(SIC) FUCKING LONG TO SUPPORT YOUR RIDICULOUS PENSIONS YOU MUPPETS. LIVE LIKE THE NORMAL PRIVATE SECTOR WORK. I HAVE NO FUCKING PENSION AT WORK. FUCK KNOWS WHAT I WILL DO WHEN I RETIRE

When you eventually grow up and realise that ordinary folk wearing crap salaries and working conditions as a badge of honour is playing into the hands of the priviledged few then just maybe you'll want to thank a teacher for educating you.

I shouldnt worry about what you'll do when you retire, because the rate this goverment are going there wont be an NHS to keep you alive to pensionable age should you have the misfortune to fall ill at any time in your working life.

As much as I am changing my view as a result of the excellent posting on this thread part of me feels like saying if you want to draw a line in the sand where the fuck where these unions when the miners where being fucked. That was the blueprint and they won. It's the same shit but now the things they want to sell off are a bit closer to home.

I never understand why people who get fucked over in the private sector wear it like a badge of honour as if they should be getting a medal. Letting your company shit in your mouth doesn't entitle you to any kudos in my book.

Some great posts from the usual suspects.

As someone who works in the private sector, for a multi billionaire, with no pension of my own, who has a daughter who will be off school tomorrow, I would like to add my full support to all those striking tomorrow.

Having just re read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, I find it more relavent than ever. Divide and conquer is the tactic they used in the past and it is the tactic they will try and use now.

As much as I am changing my view as a result of the excellent posting on this thread part of me feels like saying if you want to draw a line in the sand where the fuck where these unions when the miners where being fucked. That was the blueprint and they won. It's the same shit but now the things they want to sell off are a bit closer to home.

Interesting to see the miners brought in as a parallel. Its increasingly obvious that this government is out to portray the public sector unions as a reincarnation of the enemy within. The stories of exaggerated holidays and pensions are being used to whip up agressive anti public sector sentiment that is very reminiscent of 1984.

not sure if th

I played golf tonight with a teacher & 2 engineers (1 private sector 1 public sector )

and we got onto the subject of retirement.

The teacher and the public sector mate where in uproar about how they are getting shafted whilst me and the other bloke where just Meh.

We deserve this and we deserve that.

Me and the other bloke made Par they didn't

Interesting to see the miners brought in as a parallel. Its increasingly obvious that this government is out to portray the public sector unions as a reincarnation of the enemy within. The stories of exaggerated holidays and pensions are being used to whip up agressive anti public sector sentiment that is very reminiscent of 1984.

Yep. Good post.

Nasty nasty teachers. The media makes me sick. People lapping it up make me want to get a hold of them and shake them and the cunts at the top who, as has previously been said, never done a days graft, make me sick too.

Divide and conquer.

I really fucking hope they don't.

And that's me. A private sector numpty.

What an enormous, steaming pile of shite!!!

It's thirteen weeks holiday, not twelve...

Yep. Good post.

Nasty nasty teachers. The media makes me sick. People lapping it up make me want to get a hold of them and shake them and the cunts at the top who, as has previously been said, never done a days graft, make me sick too.

Divide and conquer.

I really fucking hope they don't.

And that's me. A private sector numpty.

And me. Their disingenuous reporting of the issues are a disgrace. The BBC have just reported that we're striking over a 3% increase in our contributions. Are we fuck! It's three percentage points, but a fifty percent increase going from 6% to 9%. in short, two hundred pounds a month for me. And for my extra two hundred quid, what do I get? A 15% cut in the value of my pension and no chance to claim it for an extra seven years.

Hands up who'd roll over for that, regardless of where they work. It's fucking bullshit.

Don't worry, Paul, at least you've got the might of the Labour Party behind you.

BBC News - Pension strike: Labour MPs urged to cross picket lines

BBC News - Why Labour leader Ed Miliband is against strikes

And to think that I used to fund these people...

Oh, what was it that you used to say Ed/Tony?

To secure for the workers by hand or by brain the full fruits of their industry and the most equitable distribution thereof that may be possible upon the basis of the common ownership of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and the best obtainable system of popular administration and control of each industry or service.

That was it.