You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

On the plus side, Martin at least seems to be working to a planned narrative and conclusion.

At around Book 7 of Wheel Of Time, I realised that no plots were being tied up, nobody was going anywhere - except in circles - and every book simply introduced more and more mysterious characters with fathomless motives, while the established cast moped about in tents/ towers all fucking day. At which point I realised I didn't care anymore.

Guest Pistonbroke
He already has. There's The Hedge Knight novellas.

Is that just short stories though?

Forgot to ask...are they based on characters from "A Song of Ice and Fire"? Have you read them and if so are they any good?

I'm being asked for birthday present suggestions so I'm thinking that the boxset of books and the 50 great Euro games are going to be put high on the list. I was also absolutely mystified as to why Winterfell was burning, I'm glad to see that it wasn't just mentalism and there was a reason; I'm all "Are you taking the piss"-ed out this week after Rafe Spall was talking to an alien like it's a puppy dog.

Don't think that it's particularly hard to follow either. Sometimes you spend a second thinking "now who was that again?" when a character is mentioned but it's not that tricky.

Guest Pistonbroke
I'm being asked for birthday present suggestions so I'm thinking that the boxset of books and the 50 great Euro games are going to be put high on the list. I was also absolutely mystified as to why Winterfell was burning, I'm glad to see that it wasn't just mentalism and there was a reason; I'm all "Are you taking the piss"-ed out this week after Rafe Spall was talking to an alien like it's a puppy dog.

Don't think that it's particularly hard to follow either. Sometimes you spend a second thinking "now who was that again?" when a character is mentioned but it's not that tricky.

Me neither, Martin certainly has you thinking at times but if you use your noggin it's all tied together so far. Can't speak for book 3 as i've only just started reading it.

I was toying with the idea of getting the Xbox 360 game which they have just brought out but it has had poor reviews and has little in common with the actual characters.

Guest Pistonbroke
Don't get the game. Skyrim is a million times better. Buy that now. And get ready to be divorced.

Hahaha, don't use the Xbox that much as it's my eldest sons, but now and again i have a few late evenings and play for a few hours. It can get rather addictive though, but long gone are the days when i would get up in the middle of the night because i had just thought of how i might get past a tricky level i was stuck on.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm sure i'll enjoy...i mean my son will enjoy it.

Back on topic, it's a shame they didn't take more time with the "Game of thrones" game. Guess its just a typical rush job to cash in whilst the series is hot, hopefully they will put more effort into a sequel if they decide to do one.

Yeah, but what's the point really? It was never going to be as good as Oblivion, Skyrim or Dragon Age. Weird. I've never bought a film tie in for that reason

Apart from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, and that hardly counts.

Back on Deus Ex now.

As for your point about time required, totally get that, but I played Skrim from November through to about March. That's value for money, and why I only buy two or three games a year. BUY IT.

Is that just short stories though?

Forgot to ask...are they based on characters from "A Song of Ice and Fire"? Have you read them and if so are they any good?

Yeah, short stories from those collections that kick around. I've only read the 1st. It's Westeros but 100 years prior to Ice and Fire. The characters are a kingsguard and a Targaryen.

It's ok. I read all Martin's stuff whilst reading the Malazan empire series and by comparison all his stuff is just OK to me.

Guest Pistonbroke
Yeah, short stories from those collections that kick around. I've only read the 1st. It's Westeros but 100 years prior to Ice and Fire. The characters are a kingsguard and a Targaryen.

It's ok. I read all Martin's stuff whilst reading the Malazan empire series and by comparison all his stuff is just OK to me.

Cheers mate. I might delve into his other work once i have completed the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of books.

So you have Skyrim? God, I spent hundreds of hours in there.

One of the few pleasures I have in life, now that I have children.

I was in the middle of playing skyrim when I started reading the game of thrones series, the similarities between the two are uncanny.

I'm like you mate, I only buy a few games a year, skyrim is an absolute monster of a game. I've hammered it and im still not near the end because of the vast amount of side missions.

RE: Skyrim, the DLC, Dawnguard, is out next month for 360. Month after for PS3/PC.

Features crossbows, mounted combat, and shitloads of vampires.

Bethesda aren't getting another penny off me because of the abortion that was the PS3 version.

Still patching it up today and all the bugs still not fixed.

Cheers for the replies lads, ended up downloading the entire collection and started reading the 1st book today...Only issue I've had and I knew it would happen is, I'm reading the book and trying to picture the scene from the tv show which is a pain in the arse!