You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lower League Action

Liverpool lad

Runcorn Linnets, got a cracking new little ground in Murdishaw, I'll be going again when it warms up. They always try and play football too, unlike a lot of sides at that level - and to be fair sometimes it costs them.

I like the fact these players are part time or completely amateur in some cases, one of the sides they played earlier this year had a CID commander at the back who looked like Combo from This is England.

My kids team tried to play on the pitches next to it but they were all waterlogged this weekend.

The site its on was the best of all the pitches on those playing fields so the rest are always getting called off.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick update on Blyth Spartans.

I've not been anywhere near as much this season with life getting in the way for the most part.

Like all levels finances are a bit of an issue and we are down to a first team squad of 18 players. Even been some games when we haven't been able to fill the bench.

We are currently 9th which is quite decent after they way things have been over the last couple of seasons. Paul Brayson is second top scorer in the league with 23 goals but the rest aren't adding many to that.

In other competitions it's been a mixed bag so far this season, only one game in the FA Cup when we got battered by Vauxhall Motors, managed the quarters in the FA Trophy but lost to Gateshead and on the 11th of next month we play Newcastle in the Northumberland Senior Cup so hopefully I am going to see Newcastle get beaten twice in the next fortnight.

Just got back in from the game, we lost 3-0....well we were robbed, the ref was a fucking joke giving them every decision and we had none (and I'm not exaggerating unfortunately)

Looks like another season in the beautiful Conference league again next season....

I can't believe with this thread title that somebody hasn't put a picture of some munters from Aintree races on here.

For my sins I used to go to Southport with my boss who had a season ticket at Haig Avenue. It got quite embarrassing as my boss was very loud & unspoken & was unfortunately seated about 4 away from the chairman Charlie Clapham & spent most of the games berating him about a perceived lack of investment at the top of his voice.

• 5 months later...
I am in London the day before the Chelsea game and need recommendations of some lower league football to see. Staying near Euston

Brentford is good if they're home. Pub on each corner of the ground adds to the experience.

Orient is decent enough. Not loads of pubs but a good little away day all the same.

Barnet is okay, but I do those others first.

Been a shite year thus far for Blyth Spartans.

Bottom of the league with a game in hand. Played 13, scored 13 and conceded 31. I've only been to one game so far this season against Worcester City. It was the worst performance I have ever seen from a Byth side and I used to watch them in the Northern Premier.

New manager this season and our two best players left. One of which in particular was badly dealt with by the new guy.

Typical one step forward two steps back that always occurs at Blyth. Last year was the best league season since the year we first got promoted to the Conference North and now we are shite again.

The Executive Committee could give Cancer&Aids a lesson in how not to run a football club.

Brentford it is, at home on the 19th

When I did it, we went into the Griffin first, then to the what looked like the Supporters club but located on a corner, then watched the game.

Then we went to the New Inn after the game which was decent to watch a game in, and caught the 5:30 Kick off, then did the one remainder on the way back to the station.

I can't remember which is the supporters club and which was the dog rough pub, but think the shit one is The Princess Royal, not 100% though.

Football Ground Guide: Griffin Park, Brentford FC

• 4 months later...