You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Having to have your dog put down.

lifetime fan

Guest Scaramanga

Sorry for your loss mate. I know exactly how you feel.

My cat died last year. He was diagnosed with FIV and as soon as we found out he just started going down hill really fast. He started puking all over the house every couple of hours, I didn't give a fuck I just wanted him to get better. I knew he was on his way out a couple of days later, kept hiding in dark spots around the house. My missus found him after he died in the bathroom.

Absolutely distraught. I cried like a baby for days. Still chokes me up thinking about it.

It's never nice having a member of the family put down. But i'm glad you were able to say goodbye to him.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My 3 year old german shepherd Willow has had 2 liver tumours removed 4 weeks ago. Spent a whole weekend without her while she was at the vets recovering I spent most that weekend of crying thinking that she was not going to pull through. The vet said that 10 minutes after her op she tried to get up and play which shows she a typical thick shepherd but a fighter. We had to wait for the results from the tumours and watched her deteriorate too the point were we ready to have her put down and even said our goodbyes to her. She's now on 12 steriod tablets a day and has started chemo this week and looks brilliant she has had no side affects yet(touch wood) I will post photo's of her later

• 1 year later...
Not fun.

The worst bit for me was the morning after when I came down the stairs and Sam wasn't in his usual position at the bottom, just an empty space. I sobbed my heart out. Can empathise and do sympathise with anyone who's had to put their pooch down. Three years now and I still miss him.

Had our dog put down just before Christmas. heart breaking stuff. She was a cracking pet and part of the family. Wonderful temprament and so nice-natured.

It's those little things like what a few have mentioned like going downstairs and half expecting them to be in their usual place, be it their blanket or their basket, that get you. We had a little footstool that she used to sit on and stare out of the window for hours and then try to get on the windowsill (I swear she thought she was a cat). We had to get rid of it within days of her being put down; it was just too heart wrenching seeing it empty.

Totally sympathise with anyone in this situation.