You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky are a bit late on this. Still nothing said.

Don't think its that big news outside Liverpool supporters really. Its not like in the past where he was on his way out only to change his mind at the last minute. Apart from a tenuous link with Madrid there's not been a huge amount of speculation.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven Gerrard to stay at Liverpool FC

Jul 20 2010 By Dominic King

Pepe Reina and Steven Gerrard

Pepe Reina and Steven Gerrard 300

STEVEN Gerrard today committed his future to Liverpool FC.

The Reds skipper ended months of speculation as he welcomed the signing of Joe Cole from Chelsea and admitted he cannot wait to play alongside him.

The news will come as a massive boost to Liverpool supporters - the second in 24 hours.

Gerrard said of Cole: "It is a great signing for us. I know Joe well through the England set-up and have seen first hand just how good a player he is.

"He has proved his ability over many years in the Premier League - sometimes against us - so it will be fantastic to play alongside him in a red shirt for Liverpool."

Gerrard, who has been at Anfield since he was eight years old and has never in recent seasons expressed any desire to leave despite the speculation this summer, added: "I've told him what a great club this is and I'm sure Joe's the sort of exciting talent our fans will love to see. I made it clear that I simply needed to concentrate on the World Cup and then have a decent holidaty with my family.

"I wanted the chance to meet Roy Hodgson privately and having done so, I'm very impressed with his plans for the future."

I might go and have a holidaty too now!

The gnashing of teeth you can hear is Tony Evans'.

He's a Liverpool supporter, isn't he?

I am sure he's delighted to have got that one wrong.

Where in that article does he actually say I'm staying?

Its pretty obvious what the message is. If he comes out and says it like that it turns it into a bigger story.

I still say he handled the whole thing very poorly - you can make an honest comment about wanting to find out things before deciding, you don't have to stay silent and let the gossip grow - but it's incredibly good news and a huge relief. Hopefully now a line can be drawn once and for all.

Great news. Looks like we won't be completely fucked for atleast another year then - so much for doom and gloom!

So far we've traded Benayoun for Cole + 5m£, Gerrard is staying and we've got Jovanevic on a free. On top of that we've got a sensible manager in charge. Best summer in years?

Steven Gerrard when on form is the best all round footballer in the world alongside Essien IMO, he's grabbed Liverpool by the scruff of the neck when nobody else would stand up and he's scored so many important goals for us and won so many matches almost single handily, its just ridiculous. For a guy with his talent its only naturally to want success and trophies and i do't blame him for having a sneaky look elsewhere after the embarrassment of last season, but if he is playing in a LFC shirt next season which it seems he will be, i'm absolutely delighted with that, the guy is a LFC Legend, no two ways about it, well done Stevie.

And in future, Steven, if you are puzzled by the manager's decisions, go and see him in private instead of scratching your head on the pitch as if you're playing 'Very Puzzled Man' in some amateur dramatics production.

When you witness a moment of insanity that close it's not always easy to control your appearance.

Great news. Looks like we won't be completely fucked for atleast another year then - so much for doom and gloom!

So far we've traded Benayoun for Cole + 5m£, Gerrard is staying and we've got Jovanevic on a free. On top of that we've got a sensible manager in charge. Best summer in years?

There's a few more people that need to depart the club before I'll call it the best summer in years.