You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Blimey I knew losing my virginity was going to be hard & messy but not that bad.

I'm not Dave U in disguise but I should've realised my target audience is not into fluffy cliché's so I'll change my tack in future.

Beans are awesome on a fry-up with a splash of Hendersons Relish.

Re positivity, all I was trying to say is that most folk who try to lose the timber do the same thing, buy some flash new trainers, get a gym membership, have a few punnets of fruit, flap about a bit for a few weeks, fail miserably and then get back to the old routine.

All I'm saying is that it's all about your melon. If you think you'll fail, you will. But if you're positive you've got more chance in succeeding.

Anyrode, if you want to ask me some specific questions, let me know and I'll try my best to answer.

Good luck

Hi everyone, my name is Paul & I’m a qualified 'Level 3 Personal Trainer' & keen runner from Yorkshire.

I've been a long-term voyeur of the site but it's time to lose my TLW virginity.

Weight-loss isn't complicated it's simple. A healthy balanced diet (treats included), some moderate exercise coupled with positivity. You have to believe it'll work, otherwise it won't. Guaranteed.

The more potatoes, bread, rice, pasta & cheese you eat, the harder it'll be. And the worst thing for your weight-loss goals is clearly 'sugar'. It's in everything so I would suggest the best so called 'diet' would be the 'Paleo' one and 'Mark's Daily Apple' is a great website to help with this transition.

In the past 7 years I have helped hundreds of people lose weight & get fitter so I decided to write a book about it. I compiled a dossier of all the pitfalls, mistakes & successes of each client & this forms the basis of my book (Dave U has granted me permission to promote).

No BS, just plain, simple, common sense advice. Try it. I mean, what you go to lose? Apart from anxiety, depression & fat of course! Plus, I have some great tips on how to improve your running PB’s.

Check me out on Twitter @Wakethefitup for more details – or go to Amazon & order it direct and then you can ‘WAKE THE FIT UP’ too.

Pics, or GTFO.

As you’re a beaner, I’ll go easy. What qualifications do you have in the medical or scientific fields?

Just the Level 3 Personal Trainer and Level 2 Gym Instructor qualifications....but I'm pretty, pretty, pretty experienced in running/footy/kettlebell swinging & have blisters, calluses & the scars to prove it.

Oh yes, sorry fellow TLW you'll have trouble masturbating to this thread.

Just the Level 3 Personal Trainer and Level 2 Gym Instructor qualifications....but I'm pretty, pretty, pretty experienced in running/footy/kettlebell swinging & have blisters, calluses & the scars to prove it.

Oh yes, sorry fellow TLW you'll have trouble masturbating to this thread.

So the correct answer would be none? I can’t just take nutritional advice from somebody just because they go to the gym, you know what I’m saying?

I would like your view on the efficacy of kettlebell workouts though. You should check out my general fitness thread. It’s pretty shit, but as long as you don’t spam it, I’d be happy to have long drawn out arguments in that thread that drive you to hate me for being a bore.

Also, you’re clearly underestimating these people’s capacity for masturbation. Shame on you.

Hi everyone, my name is Paul & I’m a qualified 'Level 3 Personal Trainer' & keen runner from Yorkshire.

I've been a long-term voyeur of the site but it's time to lose my TLW virginity.

Weight-loss isn't complicated it's simple. A healthy balanced diet (treats included), some moderate exercise coupled with positivity. You have to believe it'll work, otherwise it won't. Guaranteed.

The more potatoes, bread, rice, pasta & cheese you eat, the harder it'll be. And the worst thing for your weight-loss goals is clearly 'sugar'. It's in everything so I would suggest the best so called 'diet' would be the 'Paleo' one and 'Mark's Daily Apple' is a great website to help with this transition.

In the past 7 years I have helped hundreds of people lose weight & get fitter so I decided to write a book about it. I compiled a dossier of all the pitfalls, mistakes & successes of each client & this forms the basis of my book (Dave U has granted me permission to promote).

No BS, just plain, simple, common sense advice. Try it. I mean, what you go to lose? Apart from anxiety, depression & fat of course! Plus, I have some great tips on how to improve your running PB’s.

Check me out on Twitter @Wakethefitup for more details – or go to Amazon & order it direct and then you can ‘WAKE THE FIT UP’ too.

Sugar is boss, you quim.

I switched off at ‘personal trainer.’ Most of then are know nothing wankers. Maybe you are not but that as a first post does lead me to that conclusion.

I know doctors who don’t know the first think about nutrition and training.

I see personal trainers here having fat bloke do bicep curls and push down.

Positivity does not make you loose weight. A calorific deficit does.

And hard fucking work. Not a little bit of this and 10 mins of that. It’s going to be hard it is going to hurt. You won’t like it.

That doesn’t get clients or sell books.

Eat a deficit, lift heavy shit, walk everywhere and don’t buy shit books or spend money on personal trainers. There you go.

• Upvote 1

Well that went well.

Agree re personal trainers, too many just charge a fortune, suggest classes that aren't beneficial & really the qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on (for some).

I don't want to prattle on arguing over the t'internet but the title of the thread is 'Sick of being fat' and in my experience people that are overweight/obese etc are not happy, they have fundamental issues in their life that need to be addressed before they'll have any chance of succeeding. How can a PT help? They can't, they need to see Dr's/Counsellors/Psychiatrists etc.

The reason I wrote the expensively priced book (cheaper than a 1hr PT session) is I've helped so many people, so I wanted to help more but I live in a small village in Yorkshire, I hate social media, so the only way I could reach so many folk was via a book.

I'll depart on my merry way & stick to being a voyeur.

And no definitely not a fucking Tory, I despise them more than you'll ever know (Grandad was a Miner & that witch destroyed the industrial heartlands of the North, so fuck them, forever).

Let's hope for a good game tonight & Mo, Mane & Bobby rip them a new one........................Namaste Mutha-Chuffers!!

• Upvote 2

Well that went well.

Agree re personal trainers, too many just charge a fortune, suggest classes that aren't beneficial & really the qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on (for some).

I don't want to prattle on arguing over the t'internet but the title of the thread is 'Sick of being fat' and in my experience people that are overweight/obese etc are not happy, they have fundamental issues in their life that need to be addressed before they'll have any chance of succeeding. How can a PT help? They can't, they need to see Dr's/Counsellors/Psychiatrists etc.

The reason I wrote the expensively priced book (cheaper than a 1hr PT session) is I've helped so many people, so I wanted to help more but I live in a small village in Yorkshire, I hate social media, so the only way I could reach so many folk was via a book.

I'll depart on my merry way & stick to being a voyeur.

And no definitely not a fucking Tory, I despise them more than you'll ever know (Grandad was a Miner & that witch destroyed the industrial heartlands of the North, so fuck them, forever).

Let's hope for a good game tonight & Mo, Mane & Bobby rip them a new one........................Namaste Mutha-Chuffers!!

You're all good, mate. It's a fucking rough crowd here. It's like the rough pub that you can't understand how they get clientele, but they're always packed. The fights are fun. Stay. Be a bro.

Seriously, your opinion on kettlebells?

Also, fuck off Code.

People who are fat do not need Dr’s/counselling/psychiatric help. They need to eat less and get off their arse.

They need to be honest with themselves. Not fucking making excuses.

People who are clinically obese probably need a bit of help to get going and save their lives but the same principals apply.

Re Kettle-bells - You get the benefits of cardio with the added bonus of strength training, all in one hefty package. You can snatch, throw, catch & swing them too, although be careful near windows and your 52" Flat-screen Tellybox.

The beauty of kettle-bells is they take a lot of energy to manipulate therefore you burn calories at a faster rate than jogging for example, so you can do more in a shorter time-frame.

I'm not a gym member so I have a 20kg and a 9kg for wanging about at home, which coupled with running & bodyweight exercises does me fine.

That's fair do's re fat people 'They need to eat less & get off their arse', I agree but that's easier said than done, or else they'd be doing it & we wouldn't have a population where 1 in 4 adults are obese.

It's because most people are thick as and lazy. We live in a fast-food society where we get everything immediately - money, food, dates, TV etc etc so having to work hard & have patience is too much for most folk. Then there's a lack of education re what is actually in our food and the huge amounts of sugar that are added into everything from ketchup to bread, crisps to yoghurt etc etc.

The reason I wrote this book (in addition to trying to help 2 sisters who are obese) is to cut through the bullshit and tell it like it is. If I can help 20 people, awesome. 100, even better but at least I'm trying to do summat & that gets me through the day.

If you want to have a sensible discussion re food/fitness etc then cool, otherwise I'm happy just to read the vitriolic abuse.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

People who are fat do not need Dr’s/counselling/psychiatric help. They need to eat less and get off their arse.

They need to be honest with themselves. Not fucking making excuses.

People who are clinically obese probably need a bit of help to get going and save their lives but the same principals apply.

A lot of them need educating mate cos they've not got a Scooby; thinking they're doing good buying low fat food but not recognising it's full of sugar instead or doing the wrong exercises and getting injured prematurely etc. Education is a huge help to them and decent personal trainers help get them on the right track. There's a reason rugby league players over here still rely on their S&C coaches - even though these are lads who'd know more about training and nutrition than 99.99% of the people on the planet - and if they see the benefit then your average person most certainly can use the same help and advice at times.

• Upvote 1

Re Kettle-bells - You get the benefits of cardio with the added bonus of strength training, all in one hefty package. You can snatch, throw, catch & swing them too, although be careful near windows and your 52" Flat-screen Tellybox.

The beauty of kettle-bells is they take a lot of energy to manipulate therefore you burn calories at a faster rate than jogging for example, so you can do more in a shorter time-frame.

I'm not a gym member so I have a 20kg and a 9kg for wanging about at home, which coupled with running & bodyweight exercises does me fine.

That's fair do's re fat people 'They need to eat less & get off their arse', I agree but that's easier said than done, or else they'd be doing it & we wouldn't have a population where 1 in 4 adults are obese.

It's because most people are thick as and lazy. We live in a fast-food society where we get everything immediately - money, food, dates, TV etc etc so having to work hard & have patience is too much for most folk. Then there's a lack of education re what is actually in our food and the huge amounts of sugar that are added into everything from ketchup to bread, crisps to yoghurt etc etc.

The reason I wrote this book (in addition to trying to help 2 sisters who are obese) is to cut through the bullshit and tell it like it is. If I can help 20 people, awesome. 100, even better but at least I'm trying to do summat & that gets me through the day.

If you want to have a sensible discussion re food/fitness etc then cool, otherwise I'm happy just to read the vitriolic abuse.

Cheers

The abuse is jest. It’s how it is here. That and your first post was about buying something. You seem a tidy lad though.

I’m looking at getting a couple of kettlebells, I just hit underweight, and want to put of a little bit but not loads of muscle. I think I’ll start with 16kgs.

Cheers

Sorry if I came across a bit rude. That’s the GF way. Plus I have a personal dislike of amateur coaches. I am sure you are ok. No offence intended.

What you say regards food is true but the fact is the truth is out there. People these days want someone to do everything for them.

Give me a diet plan. Give me a workout routine. Going down that route dooms someone to failure. The more you invest the more likely you are to stick to it and it will work. Trouble is that is hard and does not fit In with me wanting a beach body like the woman in the magazine for my holiday in 6 weeks.

As you say most people are thick and lazy so Fuck them. But I do get fed up with people promising excellence with minimum effort.

A lot of them need educating mate cos they've not got a Scooby; thinking they're doing good buying low fat food but not recognising it's full of sugar instead or doing the wrong exercises and getting injured prematurely etc. Education is a huge help to them and decent personal trainers help get them on the right track. There's a reason rugby league players over here still rely on their S&C coaches - even though these are lads who'd know more about training and nutrition than 99.99% of the people on the planet - and if they see the benefit then your average person most certainly can use the same help and advice at times.

Elite performance is a world away from Joe Bloggs. Simply having an outside opinion and effective monitoring of levels of performance can increase that 1 or 2 percent which makes the difference at that level. To us 1 percent is should I have extra pepperoni on my pizza.

I would love to be a personal trainer I have considered doing the courses. I have read tons of research and did sports science at uni. What I see in reality however esp in gyms is a sales technique not sports science. What is effective does not sell. Who wants to do squats, deadlifts and presses when at my mates gym they do 10 different sets of bicep curls on a bouncy ball to dance music. That’s much cooler.

• 3 weeks later...

12 weeks into training and down 7kg. I’m 88kg 13 1/2 stone ish

Mix of keto and Ben and Jerry’s has worked great. Easy to do nothing complicated. Eating around 2500 cals 6 days a weeks then around 7000 on a Saturday. Always full never hungry.

Chicken, mince, eggs, liver, fish, sausages, bacon, cheese.

Up at 5am 8k walk in morning with lifting. 7 days a week. Nothing stupid, Squats, deads, presses, dips, pull ups.

8k walk in evening with spinning 4 times a week.

Knees, feet and ankles are fucked but lifts up and fitness up.

Work towards 250 mile round trip bike run over two days starts next week. Do it by August.

Starting weighted rucksack hill walking next week.

Goal of 550lb deadlift by 1July.

May do some running but see if my legs survive.

Up cal intake to 3000 but lose another 7kg.

Discipline equals freedom.

• Upvote 2