You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What a difference a year makes...

johnb

.Tv interview from January 3 2003.

Someone, anyone, come on here and tell me what's changed for the better (because it was only a 'blip') in that time and I'll shut up. Same situation, same results, same excuses, same false hope, same self-preservation...worse league position...

It's hopeless now. He's been around not only a few weeks or months too long - rather a full year.

It's time for a team to dig deep, but also time for the manager to dig deep....

As a manager you need a lot of qualities. One of those qualities is mental strength and, as a staff and as a team, we have that. We are going through a difficult period but we have to put things into perspective. Had we taken six more points - which I think we should have done - we would be on 40 points, third in the table and in a healthier position. I'm sad and disappointed, like all of our fans are, but at the same time when you go through a bad period it's an ideal time to sharpen your values and get back on track.

When you go up and up there is always a stage, whether it's in your social life or professional life, when things take a bit of a decline. That's what we are going through at the moment so we need mental strength and stamina and we have those qualities to get us through this spell.

Have you been surprised at the level of criticism aimed at you and your players of late?

When you lose a game at this club it's a crisis, so when you go ten games without a win it's more than a crisis. I'm quite prepared to accept that.

I feel upset that some criticism is made by people who didn't even go to the games. They just judge us by the results. I feel upset when the criticism is unfair and some of it has been.

But we're big enough to cope with it. Look at the criticism Terry Venables was getting a couple of months ago, but he stuck at it and things seem to be turning. Alex Ferguson got some stick as well, as did Arsene Wenger when Arsenal lost four in a row. I can handle it.

This job, whether you are at the top, middle or bottom, is all about pressure and we like that. We have to put pressure on ourselves if we want to succeed. I am not happy with our results of late, but at the same time this is now an ideal opportunity for us to focus on what we want to achieve.

Guest Bellflower

I've always expected us to win every game we play, however naive that may be, but if it would change things, I'm hoping for a Wolves win . If that happens GH must go, all credibility will have gone, NO ONE will believe him anymore.:no

One of the best Liverpool performances I ever saw was in late 88 against Arsenal with no Barnes, Rush injured after 30 minutes, Hooper in goal and Venison Nicol Ablett Staunton as our back four, so I don't know how long your memory's been 'living'. No, that team didn't have good league form at the time, but you had faith that when the 1st string did come back it would make all the difference in the world.

Do you honestly feel that now?

That wasn't an inexperienced side we put out yesterday, but the approach was negative, the passing woeful, the hoofing embarrassing, the attitude shocking, the sense of despair in the away end was palpable. It was a travesty, and I feel sorry for people who genuinely think it's going to be better by February, March or whenever.

Maybe I'm bitter, because that's a long day for no reward, not even a sense that anything was possible.

Three full backs on the bench, all except the one that can go on and give the other team a problem (Semmy).

We are a poor side now, even if they win there is something deeply unsatisfying about it.

And that team was not assembled to the cost of £116 million. You can talk about injuries all you want but players who cost a considerable fortune have still been available for selection:- H*sk*y, Cheyrou, Diao, Diouf and Biscan probably cost more than the entire first 11 of some Premier division clubs, so that does not hold as an excuse.

Guest Bellflower
One thing that's changed is that this season we have experienced the worst set of injuries to key players in living memory. Let's see how we do from February onwards, if there is no significant improvement then Houllier should be sacked.
What hasn't changed is that our worst players don't get injured, so he keeps picking them. At Christmas it was give him till January, now its February. Come on, get real, we are probably one game away from freefall. Its plain to see most of the team have given it up, and those coming back aren't enough to change it . Besides, the vagaries of the team selection eliminate any possible improvement.

If we lose against Wolves, its got to be P45 time for GH, no question.

"One of the best Liverpool performances I ever saw was in late 88 against Arsenal with no Barnes, Rush injured after 30 minutes, Hooper in goal and Venison Nicol Ablett Staunton as our back four, so I don't know how long your memory's been 'living'"

Goatboy, I've been following the club for 30 years and I can assure you that in that time we have never had so many first team regulars missing for this long.

CL qualification will still happen. Look up the records and see how many times Shankly and Paisley finished below 4th. This "win the championship or he goes" attitude that has developed recently lowers our supporters to the level of the rest of the country. I thought we were above all that, apparently not.

In all fairness i don't know how people can "expect" better than fourth.

Ferguson and wenger have had long periods of time and now posses players who have won a double double, two of the best english sides ever to have played the game.

Chelsea are assembling the best squad of players in the world.

As far as i can see breaking into that three is not something that can be "expected".

Chelsea have spent roubles and roubles of money to, in effect, move from 4th to 3rd. They aren't going to win the prem this year. Arsenal may not even lose this year (doubt it, though). Do you think Claudio will keep his job? No. He'll be gone unless he wins the EC (doubt it). Football today is fickle (word courtesy of Hermes). Raneri does not have the time to meld his team of all-stars. GH has had loads of time as well. He peaked at second place. That year was the apex, and now we are on the downward slope. Three fullbacks on the bench and a midfielder starting in central defence Saturday means that this is indeed a slippery slope.

In all fairness i don't know how people can "expect" better than fourth.

Ferguson and wenger have had long periods of time and now posses players who have won a double double, two of the best english sides ever to have played the game.

Chelsea are assembling the best squad of players in the world.

As far as i can see breaking into that three is not something that can be "expected".

Wenger went to Arsenal in 1996 and wont the Title in 1998.

We finished above Chelsea and United with 80 points two seasons ago.

What's your point again?

For the amount of money spent we should be AT LEAST near (within 6-9 pts) the top 2. And that is what it- Arsenal and Man U always. We got there once, it was the apex. Now, we are battling Charlton and Fulham, teams that were in the First and Third Division not that long ago. The reality check is for GH to check out. Here is a question- would GH still be in charge if only the top three qualified for CL?

No, of course he wouldn't. The fact is their is the Championship followed by however many positions qualify for CL. As Shankly would say "First is first and 2nd to 4th is in the money". As long as we finish in CL positions that is all that can be expected. He's failed once, if he fails again then he should go. At least give him the chance to rectify the failure.

He is being given the chance by the grace of one game- last years WC final. However, is his idea of rectification having a substitutes bench of Carra, Finnan and Riise? Where was FSP? Injured? Against Chelsea and Spurs we created two chances. If Henchoz had been where he was supposed to be (note to GH- the two defenders whose names start with H go together in the middle) we would be talking about "deja-vu of the treble season grinding out the 1-0's." Am I missing something, or is that sub bench the most ridiculous decision he has ever made?

This Shankly and Paisely comparison is at best disrespectful and at worst deeply saddening. A man who is nowhere near these two Giants is being defended by some on here through the use of unfortunate comparisons.

Not only unfortunate, but innaccurate.

In Bob's first season, we came second. In his second season (1975-76), he won the Title and the UEFA Cup. The rest of his record is below.

1975-76 - League Champions, UEFA Cup

1976-77 - League Champions, European Cup, FA Cup finalists

1977-78 - European Cup, European Super Cup, League Cup finalists

1978-79 - League Champions

1979-80 - League Champions

1980-81 - European Cup, League Cup

1981-82 - League Champions, League Cup

1982-83 - League Champions, League Cup

Now, please, never denigrate these men again. It's important this. I've heard the arguments over and over ("I'm glad you weren't around in Shanks' time").

Well it's bullshit - every word of it.

Oh, and as for the 80 points?

If we win the remaining seventeen ames, we'll get 83 points!!! Likely to be seen beside "Jews forgive Hitler" headline.

• Upvote 1

"Attacking Bill's record". How dare you? Just pointing out that winning trophies every season is impossible. Ferguson hasn't managed it, Paisley nearly did. Houllier is the third most succesful manager in the Premiership during his reign-fact. One trophy behind Wenger. We should sack him for that?:no

Wenger challenges for the title every year. Same with Demento except the year GH finished second.

Actually, Demento challenged that year as well. Although we finished second, Utd. were in the race later than we were. That's not to denigrate our second place, just to reinforce the view that we should be challenging for the top every season. Finishing 4th, having given up the pursuit of the title in November, is unacceptable.

"Attacking Bill's record". How dare you? Just pointing out that winning trophies every season is impossible. Ferguson hasn't managed it, Paisley nearly did. Houllier is the third most succesful manager in the Premiership during his reign-fact. One trophy behind Wenger. We should sack him for that?:no

For a start, I can only go by history books and videos - you and many more were fortunate enough to see these greats.

It seems like you're using Shankly's poor seasons to support your argument for keeping Gérard. The fact is, there is no basis for any comparisons bewteen Gérard and Shankly or Paisley. However, I apologise for the use of the word "attack".

And I find it bizarre that you can go from "Let's see how we do from February onwards, if there is no significant improvement then Houllier should be sacked." at the top of this thread to "We should sack him for that?" a few posts later.

"We should be challenging for the top every season". Based on what? We used to 13 years ago. Huddersfield won the Championship 3 seasons in succession in the 1920's. Why aren't they challenging now. Man Utd and Chelsea have more resources than us, Arsenal are equal to us in that respect. We should be in the top 4, and we will be on may 15th.