You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan @ Anfield, Wednesday night

zigackly

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not having that.

I am very critical of Benitez at the moment (I'd replace him with Hiddink personally). But no way is this the worst brand of football we have seen. It might be the worst we've seen under Benitez, although personally I think some of the football we saw in his first season was worse.

But some of the Houiller days were far more gloomy than this.

Our brand of play generally isn't a problem. Benitez likes to control games, that's fine he's a control freak and I can see why he won't play Gerrard in centre midfield for that reason, he likes players that are disiciplined in that position, to ensure we are rigid defensively. We aren't boring or defensive as we were under Houiller at times, just hoofing the ball up to Heskey, defending deep and hoping Owen could win the the game. We're far more adventurious than that.

It was a poor performance, generally our brand of football is fine under Benitez (although I wish we were a bit more adventurious). But it is Rafa's decision making that is more baffling, stubborn and even random at times that is more concurning.

Its as bad as any time under Ged IMO and no way is it Rafa's worse either. The first season we were utterly shocking at times. Clueless would be far too kind. It has imporved over the years (bar the odd spell) but has taken a gigantic leap backwards this season for whatever reason (& before people chirp in... i'm not having Xabi leaving as an excuse either).

Our brand of play? What exactly is that? Walkabout football. Slow methodica, ineffectual and an inability not to retain possession.

Ted is bang on the money. We have no style. We have no identity. FFS at least Wimbledon & laterly Bolton & Stoke were consistent. We are capable of matching Arsenal & United (when they had Ronaldo) at times interms of attacing fluidity, unfortunately we equally as likely to match Bolton, & Stoke for continual hoofing too.

5 years on and we still couldn't further from that Valencia side that gave us a footballing lesson.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
He IS right though. We can't keep defending like this and expect to win many games on the trot. I won't regain my optimism until we truly show that we can keep clean sheets again.

Fair comment.

But it's one thing pointing out the obvious, it's quite another repeating it ad infinitum to the point you get the impression that he suddenly got a semi on when Wigan scored.

I actually enjoy Code's posts, even though I generally disagree with him, as he clearly puts some thought into what he posts and has belief in his analysis, but even the best films get a touch boring on thier 139th viewing, apart from Pulp Fiction.

Tell you what reading this thread from lineup announced to kick off was seriously boss comedy. Some really do need to take credit for such tantrums that would get Ferguson is own gif thread!

On the actually performance, better. A lot of good footie at times and we could have murder these tonight. Probably would have done if in form actually.

Still plenty of work today. Roll on Pompey at the weekend.

Its as bad as any time under Ged IMO and no way is it Rafa's worse either. The first season we were utterly shocking at times. Clueless would be far too kind. It has imporved over the years (bar the odd spell) but has taken a gigantic leap backwards this season for whatever reason (& before people chirp in... i'm not having Xabi leaving as an excuse either).

Our brand of play? What exactly is that? Walkabout football. Slow methodica, ineffectual and an inability not to retain possession.

Ted is bang on the money. We have no style. We have no identity. FFS at least Wimbledon & laterly Bolton & Stoke were consistent. We are capable of matching Arsenal & United (when they had Ronaldo) at times interms of attacing fluidity, unfortunately we equally as likely to match Bolton, & Stoke for continual hoofing too.

5 years on and we still couldn't further from that Valencia side that gave us a footballing lesson.

Tonight we were not on top form, far from it and we were disjointed (not helped by the manager in my opinion), but this is not a fair representation of this team... even this woeful season.

We are in a poor patch (a bloody long one) and we are not playing well or getting results. But we have a brand of football under Benitez that is usually a well organised, discipline and efficient team. I'm not saying it is a brand of play I like (I preferred the attacking style of Evans to be honest), but we usually have a brand.

Unfortunately our team still relies on individual brilliance of Torres and Gerrard. At times others chip in, such as Benayoun or Johnson, but generally it is Torres and Gerrard that turn us into a very good team. Otherwise we are simply controlling, effiicient, disciplined and organised.

Personally I don't think it is good enough and I agree, that Valencia side probably would give us a good thumping at the moment. They were a true team, that hunted as a pack in defense, yet attacked as a team. They moved up and down the pitch as a unit. They would play quick, one and two touch passing, with great movement and high tempo. Unfortunately it seems we are still highly reliant on individuals (one which Rafa inherited), unlike that Valencia team which would often drop many of their best players, such as Aimar for example. I don't think we are seeing in practice, what we thought Rafa would bring in theory. But I would say we have a brand of football, it is just one I don't particularly like and one which isn't totally apparent at present, given a loss of form to key players, injuries, lack of confidence and numerous baffling decisions by the manager.

Maybe it we didnt keep defending badly then code wouldnt have to post the same thing ad infinitum and if we kept a clean sheet and defended well like we did against Manu (bar Carras lapse against Owen) the Code wouldnt make the posts some people take offence to.

As I said before the game any win will do and the same counts for the weekend where I fear the worst against the bottom team in the league.

We defo need a clean sheet for that one.

Maybe it we didnt keep defending badly then code wouldnt have to post the same thing ad infinitum and if we kept a clean sheet and defended well like we did against Manu (bar Carras lapse against Owen) the Code wouldnt make the posts some people take offence to.

As I said before the game any win will do and the same counts for the weekend where I fear the worst against the bottom team in the league.

We defo need a clean sheet for that one.

I like their forwards....doubt we'll keep a clean sheet.

That was dire, no structure at all, Gerrard telling Kuyt were to be, Carra telling Yossi, Carra was totally exposed time and again, no help at all. Mascherano was our best player and worked his arse breaking up plays, thought N'gog did well also and was unlucky to go off but there's the negativity coming out once again. Stevie looks lost at the moment, not sure if he's holding back till he's 100% or what but he was way below par tonight. Dirk was shite again and Yossi put in another below average performance. I'll take the three points gladly but it's 3 points we didn't deserve and I'm sill weary of every team we play.

The worrying thing, most worrying should i say, cause there's plenty of worries. Is the complete lack of urgency, or even passion for nearly 90 minutes tonight. And apart from Masch, there's not one player even getting a tackle in. Worrying times.

N'Gog has been the one faint bright spot in all this for me. Just goes to show that sometimes these kids only need to be given a chance. *cough Pacheco* Would now like to see N'Gog get a few games with Torres up front, get Kuyt out of that side, and have Gerrard and Yossi as the two wide attacking mid-fielders. Will never happen like.

Edited by The Dude Abides

Fair comment.

But it's one thing pointing out the obvious, it's quite another repeating it ad infinitum to the point you get the impression that he suddenly got a semi on when Wigan scored.

I actually enjoy Code's posts, even though I generally disagree with him, as he clearly puts some thought into what he posts and has belief in his analysis, but even the best films get a touch boring on thier 139th viewing, apart from Pulp Fiction.

Hmm, you like that scene with the gimp that much, eh?

Worrying ..... :ermm:

Very poor game but we got the 3 points. We almost scored too early because Wigan came to frustrate. Once we scored after a great ten minutes at the start our confidence drain became all too apparent and we lacked direction. Gerrard was very poor, has been since his return from injury, but he wasn't making up enough ground in midfield.

I'm pleased we won but we should have been out of sight instead of hanging on. Next game now, let's take Pompey to the cleaners.

We have only failed not to score in 3 games all season -Sunderland, Fiorentina and Chelsea - all away. We know have a knack of finding a goal how unlikely it looks .....however

Its just a shame that the bloody defence cant keep a clean sheet to save their lives - we need 2 goals just to gurantee a point these days -this is despite playing two defensive midfielders.

That wigan goal was a disgrace... 5 defenders too cautious to put a foot in. It just shows the mental shambles the team is in right now. It will take a serious run of hard work and good form to get us out of this pit. But what can you do? Remain hopeful. At least every Torres goal still feels as good as it used to.

Just happy with the win. Clean sheet would have been nice but some good performances in there. Ngog did well but needs to be more clinical. As does Dirk. A little nervous at the end but all in all it wasn't a bad night.

Masch was a beast. We cannot let him leave.

We seem to lack energy, we don't close down and our build up play is slow a lot of the time.

We shouldn't be sitting off them when we are at Anfield we should be pressuring them from the front.

It's either a lack of fitness, a lack of motivation or Rafa telling them to sit back because he's worried about getting caught out at the back.

If it is the latter it's pretty disappointing seeing as we are Liverpool playing at home against Wigan and our first thought is worrying about them catching us out. We should be thinking about how many we are going to score.

I found it odd that Torres started the last game, but didn't start last night.

Ngog did well, so it didn't matter. However does it suggest Rafa took a risk on him against Arsenal?

I found it odd that Torres started the last game, but didn't start last night.

Ngog did well, so it didn't matter. However does it suggest Rafa took a risk on him against Arsenal?

Probably more like he wasn't going to play both after just coming back, and that Arsenal = Good, Wigan = Shit. Which game do you need Torres more in?

Guest The Big Green Bastard
I reckon Dave couild majke good money printing off our match day threads and flogging threm off.

That reminds me, i'm all out of bog roll.

I take offense of the comment about me getting a semi when Wigan scored, I had a -1 HC bet ffs.

The fact is had the ball fell for anyone else than 0 goals in the PL Jason Scotland we could easily have ended up drawing his game.

When we brought on Lucas it looked to me we were satisfied with the result and wanted to potect our lead, thats not really a good idea with a defense like ours, we just cant invite the opposition back into the game by sitting back.

Anyway I`m off to Pompey and I have a good feeling about that one more because of the fact we seldom lose when I`m there than because we are great, but Pompey seems to have picked up some form after Grant took charge so I guess it will be another nail biting affair.

But we really, really need three wins in a row now, considering our opposition anything else would actually be a bit of a disgrace.