You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benitez's tactics need 14 outfield players

silverlining

Who you said we played like underdogs against. Which we clearly didn't. We dominated them from beginning to end. The gulf in class was mammoth. We weren't just "realistically" better than them we fucking battered them.

Well even though we did under-perform and under-achieve in the Chelsea and Arsenal games, if you truly believe our run-in last season was that of a team of under-dogs then I really don't know what to say.

That arsenal game was down to 1 or 2 defenders having a shit day. It happens it's indicative of defenders having a shit day not some systemic flaw.

You are right no Plan B is a problem. If we had more money we'd have a better Plan B on the bench we don't so it's just another structural disadvantage we try to mitigate.

You sound to me like you are describing a group of players that would fold when they go behind and never fight to the end and turn around games. Which, of course, couldn't be further from the truth.

Let's get a balanced team out there and see how they play.

look, you're making some fair points. It's down to opinions which is the point of forums like these.

I never said we actually played like underdogs, my point was that Rafa's favoured formation is geared up to suit counter attacking football, perfect when playing away against teams who like to play football, perfect against stronger teams. It will, does and has worked in a lot of games...

...but is it really necessary to play one striker and two deep lying midfielders every game? Remember them home draws where we lost points? Counter attacking relies on the other team attacking first.

I think Liverpool can be a very easy team to play against, certain managers have exploited us repeatedly.

What frustrates me is the persistence on trying to get available players to fit around the strength of his system, rather than finding a system to suit the strength of the players available. There's no real flexibility or spontaneity, but other top managers possess that ability.

I'm generally fed up of watching the same predictable game over and over again. Its not all about results. I've been one of Benitez's biggest fans for the last five years but I've just got to the stage where 'results' and 'statistics' aren't always a valid excuse.

It's disheartening having a pint with my dad after the game, even after a win, feeling totally and utterly despondent because there's something underwhelming about the whole experience. Looking round seeing old men who've been going the match for years, have seen some real highs and lows, and even when we've won they still look as though they're wondering whether its worth it anymore.

The papers and radio are full of talk and stories about Shankly today and how the man completely dominated the football club and how he made players go on the field believing they were unbeatable, how he stirred the emotions of the fans. Football is a different game nowadays, but we couldn't be any further away from the LFC Bill Shankly created.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I know where you are coming from, but I don't think your reasoning is sound and soon this angst will be a thing of the past. Let's get a full squad to choose from, let's get the players used to playing with their new partners and the let's see what this new team looks like, the team remember where we jibbed off defensive midfielders and full backs for attacking counterparts.

And in the mean time watch the first 20 minutes of the Real Madrid game again :)