You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of effort in the face of a Leeds side well up for it. I didnt want a "couldnt be arsed" performance, like at spurs last season. I wanted us to win, but it was more important for me, that there was effort and application from the players and I think we got that. Hopefully this will lead to more chances for the fringe players. They've earned it.

N'Gog good

Spearing good

Degen (surprisingly) good

I thought we played Ok overall. Think back to how a similar team "performed" against Spurs in the CC last season.

Agree about the pointlessness of bringing on Gerrard and Johnson though. Not because it makes it looks like we can't cope without them - that's daft - but because its a no win.

I think Johnson came on because Degan was knackered

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
That was sound. Apart from Dossena no one really had a bad game.

I thought one of the reasons Dossena struggled was because he had little protection in front of him, as Babel doesn't really get involved defensively, which isnt a dig at Babel who I thought played well, just stating the obvious.

Carragher still really hasnt got going yet either

Ngog scored a great goal, the combination of technique, awareness and the calmness in the finish was pleasing, could easily have snatched at it given the pressure he's under to prove himself

Bit of class from Simon Grayson too in the interview after the game, refusing to take the bait from SKY

Guest Dog Chaser

N'Gog played well despite being isolated at times and his turn and finish for the goal was excellent. Spearing was neat and tidy as ever and even Degen had a decent game. Overall it was a good win, hopefully a home tie in the next round.

I agree with everything on this page so far. Personally, I wouldn't have played Carragher or Mascherano but it soon became apparent that was the correct decision, Dossena was really poor and was bailed out a few times by them. I like Cavalieri a lot but still don't think paying 3.5m for a 'keeper who plays no more than 8 games a season was good business, but he deserves massive credit for stopping that Beckfod chance, even if he did make a bit of a mess.

David Ngog. One chance, very good first touch, one goal. Should start on Sautrday but I think Voronin will. Also thought Degen played well, only really seen him play against Crewe and Burnley(I'm disregarding the Spurs game because he got no protection, no help and it was as shambolic a defensive display as I've ever seen from the team as a whole) and he's impressed me everytime.

Some of the tactics tonight where really bizzare, I hope that none are replicated in the league.

I thought one of the reasons Dossena struggled was because he had little protection in front of him, as Babel doesn't really get involved defensively, which isnt a dig at Babel who I thought played well, just stating the obvious.

Carragher still really hasnt got going yet either

Ngog scored a great goal, the combination of technique, awareness and the calmness in the finish was pleasing, could easily have snatched at it given the pressure he's under to prove himself

Bit of class from Simon Grayson too in the interview after the game, refusing to take the bait from SKY

I don't think Carra has it going either, that incident where they misjudged the bounce and Beckford got in was a bit dodgy but apart from that.

The important thing is that we produced a solid performance in a tie which could have easily gone the other way. No one came out injured apart from Degen.

That was sound. Apart from Dossena no one really had a bad game.

On the whole, Leeds played the way you'd expect a side several divisions below where they consider their rightful place to be, to play. The Becchio goal was given offside I presume because the linesman thought Beckford had got a touch. He wasn't offside otherwise.

Leeds had no threat down their left, hence why Degen could push forward, knowing Babel's pace in front of him would tie up their left back. He looked very good, yet still came off with a knock. Some things in life...and all that.

I have no issue with the starting line-up Rafa put out tonight. It just needed either Aurelio or Spearing to play further upfield behind Ngog. I would nominate Spearing as his game is more about give and go. I can't blame him for sitting alongside Mascherano though because he showed for the ball throughout, and generally used it well.

Dossena didn't do all that well, but he'd not played at all this season prior to tonight. I actually thought Riera was poorest tonight. He was very slow in applying cover for Dossena, and very wasteful on the ball. Our left side actually looked much tighter when Babel went out there, because he worried them with his pace.

Just waiting now for some scrote on here to blame Lucas for that lacklustre display!

No one mentioned it then? No.

Spearing was boss by the way, he was cool, calm and collective and made very few mistakes. Played a few good balls and always looked forward and made the right decision. Well impressed. Hopefully he gets another chance sooner rather than later.

You mean there's more than one of him? 10 Jay Spearings, there's only 10 Jay Spearings.....