You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafas - The Libertarian football philosophy

red is cool

Been meaning to post this for a while.

"Although Benitez doesn't come immediateley to mind as a Libertarian (meaning he allows his players to use their heads and doesn't determine every aspect of the teams play like a Authoritarian (Mourinho) would), his structural approach to tactics is a simpe one, relying on 5 players to defend and five to attack. Although he has transformed Liverpool into a team that is very difficult to break down, criticisms remain with regard to his attacking intentions and lack of width.

In typical Spanish manner, Benitez wants his front five to play with creativity and flair, unlocking opposing defences via quick-fire passing interchanges. Without players who have the vision and touch to unlock defences in tight areas this translates into many efficient but dour matches. Howevee, with the right players and creative freedom allowances up front scintillating attacking play will complement resolute defence."

Got this of the Tactical Theorems and Frameworks 09 (yes, some of us takes FM09 more serious than others) but i think it provides an interesting view on Rafas tactics which has been much discussed lately.

"Although Benitez doesn't come immediateley to mind as a Libertarian (meaning he allows his players to use their heads and doesn't determine every aspect of the teams play like a Authoritarian (Mourinho) would), his structural approach to tactics is a simpe one, relying on 5 players to defend and five to attack.

I don't think that is true.

I don't think either Mascharano or Alonso have specific jobs to win the game, more control the game and stopping us from losing it.

I would say Benitez has more of 6 players to defend and 4 players to win the game.

Same with not agreeing with that 5 and 5. I usually see it as more like a 4-2-4, and even then those players are still swapping around. Mainly though, 4 defending, 2 swapping between defending and attacking, and 4 attacking.

Agreed although I count it like this:

Arbeloa, Cara, Skertel, Aurelio, Kuyt and Masch to track back and defend: 6defenders

Arbeloa, Alonso, Masch, Aurellio, Gerrard, Kuyt, Torres, Reira can all attack from their postions: 8 attackers

Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Aurellio, Arbeloa and Kuyt can interchange in between the two: 6 that can attack and defend.

Same with not agreeing with that 5 and 5. I usually see it as more like a 4-2-4, and even then those players are still swapping around. Mainly though, 4 defending, 2 swapping between defending and attacking, and 4 attacking.

If you watch us against park the bus teams you'll see 2-4-4/2-3-5 as often as not.

“My ideas are near to the Milan of Arrigo Sacchi. I like technical and aggressive teams that don’t allow the opponents to play. I like teams that play the ball with speed and look to score with as few passes as possible.” Rafa Benitez (2004)

Well times have clearly changed as we play possession football as often as we play quick counter attacks, often both in the same game.

BTW This is from El Mundo, it's sort of relevant.

In the first place, I will let you know that my idea of good football and my concept of a good team relies on team order, balance on defense and cutting-edge on attack. To accomplish this you need players who are able to read the game well, who know when it’s time to play short or long passes, when you need to attack through the middle or down the flank, when it’s time to keep posession of the ball or when you need to start a quick counter-attack. I’m talking about real footballers, who will take advantage of their abilities to help the team win by playing as well as possible, who will be able to adapt when needed, who will try to impose their style of play, but who can also vary that style for the benefit of the team and to help it win games.

In today’s football, cutting-edge in attack is becoming more and more of a collective or tactical effort, depends more on a group of players or positioning on the pitch than on a single player. This is why a skillfull player tends to draw our attention more often, but we must be able to distinguish between the skillfull player and the cutting-edge player.

The first will dribble or dwell on the ball showing his technical ability; the second wins matches, is a constant threat to opposing teams and the solution for his team-mates when they can’t find their way. With a single touch he can find an open team-mate, he can find an open space when and where he should, makes an effort to do things the right way and always tries to do what will benefit his team the most. In other words, he will play good football in order to win matches, not just for show.

Rafa is the complete opposite of what I would call a Libertarian football manager. He views his players as cogs and football as a tactical battle with him pulling the strings, he doesn't just send an 11 out and trust them to get on with it.

Rafa is the complete opposite of what I would call a Libertarian football manager. He views his players as cogs and football as a tactical battle with him pulling the strings, he doesn't just send an 11 out and trust them to get on with it.

It's been said he likes his players to innovate within a framework which I guess is half way between the two extremes.