You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Signs New Contract

How do you feel about Rafa's new contract ...  

201 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Rafa's new contract ...

• Made up, I had a wank last night when I found out
    • I think it's too long, but glad we've kept him
    • Just glad the shite is all over and we can go back to football
    • They should have sacked him.

I can see the rational behind it mate, I just personally think he was given a longer contract than he merited, but that's merely my opinion.

Onwards and upwards and all that.

I read somewhere on a newspaper website that the club were looking to put in a clause limiting the compensation payable if he goes early , rather than the ' pay the whole contract up ' nonsense which seems to have become , bafflingly , the norm in football.

After the Houllier debacle , any sane board would look at remedying this .

Why am I suddenly worried ?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Significant Achievements to date:

• Winning number 5 - in the greatest ever cup final in the history of football (eclipsing the scum’s comeback in Barcelona 99).

• Winning the F.A cup

• Helping Gerrard to become the best all round footballer in the world and unleashing his attacking potential.

• Converting Carra into one of the best Centre backs in the world.

• Dumping Mourinho's £500m Chelsea out of the Champions League twice, and ultimately costing him his job.

• Making John Terry cry (twice)

• Taking us from "Champions League u're havin a laff" to making us the most feared and respected team in Europe - dismantling every single European giant along the way.

• Exposing the Yank Bastards as all talk and no action.

• Signing (arguably) the best Goalkeeper, best Defensive Midfielder and best Striker in the world.

• Referring to the Blueshite as a “small club” and making them spit blood.

• Having Parry removed from his position as CEO.

• Crushing two of the so called "biggest teams in the world" in the same week.

Excellent positive post.

If Im being honest I probably would have waited till the end of the season but it has to be said that there are not many candidates and stablitiy is a good thing.

Hopefully Rafa can do what we all want which is to take number 19. Im sure despite peoples opinions everyone is hoping Rafa can take us up that extra notch domestically and I wish him all the best!!

The critical thing here is can Rafa change his mindset and get us to consistently beat a team who set up to soak up pressure. Is he going to allow the players a bit of freedom in such circumstances. I would say certainly not, its not in his nature, and that why I would seriously question giving a man with that mentality a 5 year deal. These problems haven't gone away.

Has anyone see any signs to the contrary?

Just heard this will be announced tonight.

Lets hope this is the end of all the shit about him and everyone gets behind the best manager in Europe and supports our assault on all fronts for another 4 or 5 years.

Well done Kev. Lurk around in silence for a couple of years and then this. Top class bombshelling.

The critical thing here is can Rafa change his mindset and get us to consistently beat a team who set up to soak up pressure. Is he going to allow the players a bit of freedom in such circumstances. I would say certainly not, its not in his nature, and that why I would seriously question giving a man with that mentality a 5 year deal. These problems haven't gone away.

Has anyone see any signs to the contrary?

Why does his mindset need to change? It's not like he's going out to draw is it. The tactical approach of the attacking 4/5 needs to be "refined" and a couple of positions in the team need to add more. That's all.

Why does his mindset need to change? It's not like he's going out to draw is it. The tactical approach of the attacking 4/5 needs to be "refined" and a couple of positions in the team need to add more. That's all.

Best example I can think of is this

V Stoke Away we put out a team playing for a draw

V R.Madrid Away we put out a team playing for a win

He won't change his team around if we are drawing, I.E Won't take risks and go for the win.

i can see both sides. I personally think we are a couple more matchwinners away from turning the draws to wins against shite teams. We can handle the big games now. We just need gerrard and torres back ups and need to take the pressure off them in games

I think we are nearly there, some think he will never change.

about 50-60 mil behind united imo.

do you really think he went for the draw at stoke? I don't although we were shite in that game I still thought we had the best chances.

I think every red has become pissed off with rafa at some point during this season, I know I have but truth be told I am glad he's signed. We are worth more as a club with him in charge because of the european money he brings in every year, and despite the fact that we are all pissed off about the league the fact is we have made progress this year. Hopefully he will get a bit of dosh to spend now on another match winner, just hope we dn't go out and drop another 20m on an average premiership striker

Best example I can think of is this

V Stoke Away we put out a team playing for a draw

V R.Madrid Away we put out a team playing for a win

He won't change his team around if we are drawing, I.E Won't take risks and go for the win.

WE DIDNT PUT A TEAM OUT TO DRAW AT STOKE!!!!!

We put a team out to win, one that drew, that wasn't good enough to win, whatever, but he did not go for a draw.

I think the issue many of us have is that Rafa isn't as pissed off as us when we draw. He settles for a draw a lot and you can see that by the substiutions he makes and that pisses people off especialy if its against a shit team away from home. The problem is you can't win this league with a very low points score and goals scored like he did at Valencia.

WE DIDNT PUT A TEAM OUT TO DRAW AT STOKE!!!!!

We put a team out to win, one that drew, that wasn't good enough to win, whatever, but he did not go for a draw.

Yes we did. That team was weak, but was never going to win it, also never going to lose it either.

Pepe Reina

Fabio Aurelio

Sami Hyypia

Martin Skrtel

Jamie Carragher

Albert Riera

Lucas Leiva

Javier Mascherano

Yossi Benayoun

Steven Gerrard ©

Dirk Kuyt

We had Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres on the bench, we had a striker turned right winger turned striker upfront, and a player who can't play v Physical sides I.E Benayoun.

The reason we don't win v relegation fodder has nothing to do with money, it's to do with mentality and tactics.

It's like doing an assignment, it's all well and good doing the hard bits, but if you can't do the easy parts then you are still going to fail.

He settles for draws, the Arsenal game is a good example, and that kind of carry on has come back and bitten us on the arse.

That's a mindset.

The other aspect of his mindset is his insistence on "controlling" a game and its hindrance in allowing us to open up shit teams intent on stifling us.

So that would be two aspects of his mindset that I feel need to change in the league. The question is, is it possible for him to do this, even though it probably rails against his whole philosophy on the game.

RAFA Benitez today vowed to “look forward, not back” after signing a new contract which will see him remain at Anfield until 2014.

Having secured his future for the next five years, the Reds boss is now looking to tie up deals for members of his backroom and playing staff as he seeks to bring more success to Liverpool.

In his first major interview since putting pen to paper, Benitez also revealed the role that Liverpool’s fans played in getting him to commit his future to the club. Now he wants to repay them for their support by continuing his quest to restore Liverpool to former glories.

“We want to improve in all departments – the squad, the mentality – everything that we possibly can,” said Benitez.

The Reds boss put pen to paper on his long awaited new contract last night, ending months of speculation about his future.

And Benitez told the ECHO he never once thought of leaving Liverpool.

“I am really pleased for me, for my family and hopefully for the fans,” said the Spaniard.

“It was a very easy decision for me to take because I only ever wanted to stay at this football club.”

The mention of his family is hugely significant as throughout this entire process – which began back in November – Benitez has sought the counsel of his wife Montse, who has consistently spoken of her desire to remain on Merseyside.

Similarly, the input of the Liverpool fans has been equally significant with one story in particular providing an insight into the kind of support Benitez has been given by those who were desperate for him to stay.

“Last week I met with a supporter who carries a flag to every game,” said Benitez.

“The flag has a picture of me on it and the Spanish phrase ‘siempre es possible’ and it is flown at all our home games.

“I saw it at the Bernabeu also when we played Real Madrid and I met the supporter who owns the flag at Melwood last week.

“It was really funny because he was telling me ‘you must sign’ and saying ‘I hope it is for ten years' but then he was changing his mind ‘no, no twenty years’.

“It was really funny but it also showed the incredible passion of the Liverpool fans and the support that they give to their manager.

“I also remember the Porto game last season when the fans demonstrated for me.

“That is something I will never forget.”

There were times of uncertainty during the lengthy talks between Benitez’s lawyer Manolo Garcia Quillon and representatives of club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Benitez wanted to have greater control over transfers and an increased input into the Kirkby Academy and initially the owners were unwilling to cede too much ground on these matters.

As the impasse continued so rumours gathered pace that Benitez would quit Anfield.

Speculation reached fever pitch prior to the first leg of the Reds recent Champions League tie with Real Madrid.

At one stage a leading bookmaker stopped taking bets on Benitez’s future but the former Valencia boss insists there was never any realistic prospect of him leaving Liverpool.

“Because of the uncertainty it was a difficult time,” he said.

“The conversations went on for a long time and because of that I was a bit worried.

“But I never thought of leaving and in the end it has all been sorted out thanks to the hard work of everyone involved.

“From the very beginning everyone knew that I wanted to stay here.

“But it took a bit longer for everything to be concluded because there were certain issues that we needed to be clarified.”

Having successfully tied up his own deal, Benitez is now looking for members of his backroom staff to be rewarded with new contracts. He also wants the futures of players like Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt to be resolved at the earliest possible opportunity.

He has also set his sights on continuing the improvement of the club’s football operations over the duration of his new contract.

“My priority now is to do the deals for my staff and for the players who will be important for this club in the future,” added Benitez. “We want to improve in all departments – the squad, the mentality – everything that we possibly can.

“We want to be successful and to bring trophies to this club for the fans.”

Just over a week ago Benitez looked on with pride as his Liverpool team swept aside Real Madrid in one of the most impressive results and performances of this season’s Champions League. Four days later the Reds topped even that performance by coming away from Old Trafford with a magnificent 4-1 victory over reigning champions and league leaders Manchester United.

Thus, the signing of his new contract could not have come at a better time and Benitez readily acknowledges this.

“For me and for my family it has been a fantastic week.

“My idea is always to win trophies, not just games,” he said.

“But to beat Real Madrid and Manchester United and then sign the contract makes this a perfect week. But now we must look ahead, not back.”

Benitez added: “We must look to continue the work we have done and keep on trying to improve, because maybe then we can have even better weeks.

“My message to the fans is very clear – it is because of them that I am signing this contract.

“This is a fantastic club with fantastic fans – it is as simple as that.”

RAFAEL BENITEZ FACTFILE

1960: Born Madrid, April 4.

1974: Joins Real Madrid as a youngster, making slow progress through the ranks.

1981: Leaves Real Madrid without ever playing for the first team and joins Third Division Parla.

1983: Part of the Parla side which gains promotion to the Spanish Segunda B.

1985: Joins Segunda B side Linares. Spends almost the entire season injured and retires as a player in 1986.

1986: Appointed to Real Madrid’s coaching staff, starting off with their juniors and working up through to the under-19s.

1994: Leads Real Madrid’s B team to seventh in Spain’s Second Division and ends the season as assistant to first-team coach Vicente del Bosque.

1995: Appointed coach of Valladolid but sacked after 23 games with the team bottom of the Primera Liga table.

1996: Takes over at Osasuna in Second Division, but lasts just nine games after recording one win.

1997: Joins Second Division outfit Extremadura and leads them to promotion, finishing second in the table with 23 wins in 42 games.

1999: Extremadura relegated from top flight after a play-off defeat to Villarreal, earlier finishing the season 17th.

1999-2000: Quits Extremadura to take a year’s sabbatical to study coaching in Italy and England.

2000: Appointed boss of Second Division Tenerife and leads them promotion.

2001: Named as surprise choice to replace Hector Cuper at Valencia. Decision questioned by the fans but he leads Valencia to their first Primera Liga title in 31 years in first campaign in charge.

2003: Valencia fade away to finish fifth in the table, although they do reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

2004: Benitez leads Valencia to their first ever double, lifting both the Primera Liga and the UEFA Cup.

June 1 - Valencia announce that Benitez and club have agreed to part by mutual consent.

June 16 - Benitez confirmed as Liverpool manager on five-year contract.

2005: May - Wins Champions League in his first season as Liverpool come from 3-0 down to beat AC Milan on penalties in Istanbul.

2007: February – American duo Tom Hicks and George Gillett buy the club from David Moores, vowing to bring the Premier League title to Anfield.

May – Benitez’s side reach the Champions League final for the second time in three seasons, but lose to 2-1 to AC Milan in Athens.

2008: Relations between Benitez and the Anfield hierarchy sour suddenly with doubts over the Spaniard’s long-term future, largely due to differences of opinion over transfer policy.

2009: March 18 - Benitez finally signs a new five-year contract with the Reds after months of uncertainty, keeping him at Anfield until 2014.

I think mentality is one thing but he biggest change he could possibly make is in his decision for transfers. If he gets two attacking signings right this summer it could change a lot of things. He has only got one big one right (Torres) and a one half decent one (Garcia) in 5 years mind...

Do you not think the other big decision to move Gerrard to a more advanced position is not his best decision?

He settles for draws, the Arsenal game is a good example, and that kind of carry on has come back and bitten us on the arse.

That's a mindset.

The other aspect of his mindset is his insistence on "controlling" a game and its hindrance in allowing us to open up shit teams intent on stifling us.

So that would be two aspects of his mindset that I feel need to change in the league. The question is, is it possible for him to do this, even though it probably rails against his whole philosophy on the game.

I know what you mean and they are limitations, I think though he'll excel in other areas that will compensate.

Do you not think the other big decision to move Gerrard to a more advanced position is not his best decision?

Gerrard is world class on the right in the centre and up front. It doesn't matter to me where Gerrard plays but I have said many times, Rafa has to be given credit for giving Gerrard so much freedom and making him world class. It does help that he has a world class player im his peak years too...

Yes we did. That team was weak, but was never going to win it, also never going to lose it either.

Pepe Reina

Fabio Aurelio

Sami Hyypia

Martin Skrtel

Jamie Carragher

Albert Riera

Lucas Leiva

Javier Mascherano

Yossi Benayoun

Steven Gerrard ©

Dirk Kuyt

We had Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres on the bench, we had a striker turned right winger turned striker upfront, and a player who can't play v Physical sides I.E Benayoun.

The reason we don't win v relegation fodder has nothing to do with money, it's to do with mentality and tactics.

It's like doing an assignment, it's all well and good doing the hard bits, but if you can't do the easy parts then you are still going to fail.

He had also just come back from injury, you suggested Rafa looked at that match and said I want a draw, that is a complete lie, sorry but it is.

That team you just mentioned was pretty much the same team that beat Newcastle away!

Why are you focusing on Stoke? Everton we drew, with Alonso, Gerrad, Keane and Torress so what are your theories on that? West Ham, Alonso, Gerrard, Keane, what are your theories on that?

The team was good enough to beat Stoke, it should have but it didn't, and if money has nothing to do with it, then you have to also accept that the team WAS good enough to beat Stoke.

He had also just come back from injury, you suggested Rafa looked at that match and said I want a draw, that is a complete lie, sorry but it is.

That team you just mentioned was pretty much the same team that beat Newcastle away!

Why are you focusing on Stoke? Everton we drew, with Alonso, Gerrad, Keane and Torress so what are your theories on that? West Ham, Alonso, Gerrard, Keane, what are your theories on that?

The team was good enough to beat Stoke, it should have but it didn't, and if money has nothing to do with it, then you have to also accept that the team WAS good enough to beat Stoke.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Saved me typing it out. Have some green.

Excellent news, I can certainly understand the need for a deal until 2014. We have a

world class manager signed up who is an asset not a liability. Instead of people

mentioning we might be financially liable the upside is if Real Madrid or other top teams

want him they will have to buy out his contract. Another factor is people within football

are vultures praying on uncertainty, the media, players agents etc.

Also most people seem keen to see the local lads come through and most of us accept

that it takes time to blood young players. What incentive does the manager have if his

position is constantly under scrutiny and people are measuring his achievements by

what happens at the end of the season?.

I do have to say Rafa is a fighter a lesser man would have walked away,the mans got

big balls. Hopefully by the end of his contract we will be laughing about sending mister

Ferguson into retirement and us moving away trophy wise from the mancs.